Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 73 reviews
on April 6, 2017
I returned this book. It just did not provide me with the information I wanted
on April 24, 2014
In terms of a "Fitness 101" approach to exercise, it doesn't get much clearer or easily understandable than this book.

That said, it tends to contradict itself at times ("bring music to the gym" // "if you can listen to music you're not working hard enough").

Even so, the author's quest to be comprehensive (it includes a section for kids and pregnant mothers) makes this book a useful tool for fitness enthusiasts of all ages, shapes, and sizes.
on March 24, 2013
Highly recommend this basic primer to anyone's approach to general fitness and lifestyle changes. Loaded with simple approach to establishing rewarding lifestyle changes for good health. Loaded with great factual information normally charged for in high-tech sporting and fitness clubs as part of their included services. Will provide all you need to know to know and lots more FREE references for continued education and knowledge for starting and maintaining your own personal program. A MUST READ to avoid the hype of membership clubs and overly paid personal trainers. Puts you in the drivers seat if you still want to join a club or hire a personal trainer. Anyone who is serious about getting fit needs to read this book before doing anything.
on April 27, 2017
Informative - well written and organized. I highly recommend this book.
on March 5, 2010
I've read the first half, and this is a great book. My wife and I just joined a gym, and part of what keeps me motivated is information. I love knowing facts about fat-loss, calories, muscle mass, etc. That's the reason I bought this book. It has been great for me. First of all, I love all Dummies books because they're practical and I like the format. This one has really great, all-around information: from shoe advice to tips for using a treadmill and other machines at a gym. The authors frequently cite studies (briefly--nothing too technical) that have revealed new info about exercise. I recommend this book to anyone wanting to acquaint themselves with fitness facts, including the jargon. If, like me, you're joining a gym, this is a great book to help keep you motivated. Go work out and then come home at night and read a chapter! You'll feel more informed at the gym and less like an awkward beginner.
on July 21, 2016
Good start for beginners to understand and know the various fitness activities. For me, am doing the balance and stretching exercises at my work, feeling better and refresh.
on December 30, 2009
I am reading this as a prerequisite for day of training in fitness training. It seems to be comprehensive and sound. As with most of the " ... for dummies" books, it is easy to read and apply. I am interested in the emphasis on doing different things to "avoid boredom" - not an issue for me, I'm a habitual creature. I'd happily do the same routine week after week, although unfortunately this apparently isn't a good way to train, so I am trying to add a bit more variety and this guide provides plenty of ideas for that.
on September 3, 2014
I recommended this book in my book, Fat Genes to Skinny Jeans, because it provides a great introduction to evaluating your fitness and planning a fitness development program for yourself.
Fat Genes to Skinny Jeans: How I lost 230 lbs in weight, found fitness and saved my life
on December 11, 2011
Great book! I have wanted to shed a few pounds and thought I would just go full force with cutting calories and working out. Everything from knowing at what heart rate your body burns fat versus calories, how to properly count calories, how to read food labels, gym etiquette, etc. This book is a must read for anyone who wants to lose weight, get in shape or just simply learn how to effectively incorporate fitness in their daily life. I couldn't put it down once I started reading it!
on December 8, 2016
hahahahah got this for my boss and he got a pretty good kick out of it!!!