Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

The Five Ghosts
Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 18, 2011
I originally downloaded this album after hearing "We Don't Want Your Body", expecting more of the same. That was most likely a mistake and led to me originally disliking this album greatly.

But after some excellent experiences with "Set Yourself On Fire", I decided to give "Five Ghosts" another go, setting it on repeat for an hour or two. The first listen was rocky but after that I started to hear the beauty of the lyrics, the melodies and instrumentation. I began to wonder who the "Five Ghosts" were and listened a few more times, trying not to directly dissect or analyze the lyrics. The more I listened, the more I enjoyed it. Every time the album is wrapping up, I'm ready to move onto something else until Dead Hearts kicks in and then I find myself itching for another ride.

There's a story going on here and I still don't quite know what it is. I'm hesitant to dredge up the lyrics online for analysis, preferring to listen through in search of the connections between the songs. But either way, this album has catapulted to the top of my lists, vaulting right over the very excellent "Set Yourself On Fire".
on April 20, 2015
Does not include "The Five Ghosts" title track. Or the deluxe edition songs. Those songs, especially the title track, are very much part of the themes in this album. It's a shame they're not included. Also, no lyrics in this digipak. Again, it really doesn't do justice by how well written these lyrics are. But great album regardless.
VINE VOICEon August 19, 2011
I have to admit I picked this one up on a whim after an Amazon recommendation, and I'm so glad I did! I'd never listened to them before, but I am always anxious for new music that isn't Top 40. This album definitely delivered and I'm in love with them now.

This is a bizarre, morbid little album with haunting lyrics in songs like Dead Hearts and I Died So I Could Haunt You. And sometimes the music is equally eerie. I love the charm of the lead male and female vocalists - but sometimes the music sounded a bit loud and over powering.

My favorite tune has to be #7 - Changes. I can listen to it over and over again and I never get tired of it. The lyric and vocal really shine through here.

Since I'm not familiar with the group before this album, I can only suggest this to newcomers looking for something different, but I definitely plan to search out some of the group's older stuff now.
on February 18, 2013
It's hard to describe Stars to those I recommend them to, "They're a bit of synthetic pop thrown in with some alternative rock with smooth melodic voices". But even that doesn't describe them.

I've deeply enjoyed this band for many years now and I feel this is probably their best album yet - but that's not to say there aren't any flaws with it.

My biggest dislike from this album probably comes from the obvious influence of the supernatural. Not that it hampers the songs any and you can honestly coin up the references to mere metaphors. Another thing most people will have issues getting over about them is the production value - for those more used top 40 music, this music will almost be hard to swallow. .

It sounds almost as if it was born in the 80s and 90s. Personally, the focus on strong vocals and delicate instrumentation is what made me fall in love with Stars, however I can understand that some people would find it off-putting.

Ultimately, this is one of my favorite albums and I recommend it to anyone to just "give it a try".
on August 27, 2017
I love this song and the first track is my favorite
on August 7, 2010
A good album stays with you long after you stop listening and such is the case for me, at least, with Five Ghosts. I've been a fan of Stars and the various artists from the Canadian Arts and Crafts group for a few years and love the artists in their various forms and incarnations.

Stars albums always have a operatic/cinematic quality that tells a story with mysterious emotional undertones.

I've listened to this album seven or eight times and am still looking for the deeper story that I haven't caught onto yet. The time is the present, but the ghosts call back to old memories and regrts. Amy Milan could sing the telephone directory and make it sound amazing.
on December 23, 2014
There are a handful of tracks on here I can listen to over and over again. The haunting sad almost otherworldly vocals go great with uptempo beats.
on June 16, 2014
One of the best Albums I have heard in a long time. The concert for this album was amaziing. I love Stars and hope to see them live again.
on October 3, 2013
it's great...Changes, my favorite. . The Stars were new to me, heard them on Radio Paradise for the first time a week or so ago.
on March 26, 2014
Only Stars can write pop songs about death with such beauty. Mysterious yet soothing melodies of loss, love and apparitions. Lovely. BJM Toronto.