Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 7,908 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 11,504 reviews
on January 19, 2017
It is definitely a good book for couples and it has improved my relationship with my wife. If nothing else it shows you what things your partner is really looking for out of their spouse. I quickly found that my love language was "Acts of Service". Though it might not be sexy or macho to say that, it means more to me to have the dishes and laundry done when I come home after work or have minor home improvements taken care of before I get home. My wife and I have 2 small children and our house is hard to stay clean because every room feels like a mess. We do clean it all the time but it feels like a losing battle. My wife's love language is "Words of Affirmation". As you can tell from all these Amazon reviews I am much more of a writer than I am a talker. My wife is always looking for me to say how much I love and appreciate her because I don't say it often enough.

A big part of improving your relationship with your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend is to sticking with a date night to make sure you have quality time together. Especially if you have children or a high stress occupation. My wife and I have been together for 10 years and got stuck in the rut of an endless routine of doing everything we could for our kids, followed by daily chores and left little time for ourselves. Committing to 1 date night a week has really helped our relationship and improved our communication.

I recommend the book for sure and found it inspiring and worth reading. All couples can benefit from reading this book. The only downside is I wish it could have been a little longer. The stories from the author are interesting and I would have liked to have heard a bunch of his other examples of couples that he has dealt with. It was a short book and my wife and I finished it in 4 or 5 days and that was reading it slowly. The price is easily affordable. I found it best to photo copy the test quiz at the end instead of writing in the book so we can give the book to any family or friends who are struggling with their relationship.
22 comments| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2017
Oh how I love this book. I loved the first one so I thought I would give this one a go, as we are a Military family. It's so spot on with many of the issues that Military families endure, that other families just don't have to. Dr. Chapman is a wonderful writer and counselor and really relates to people and helps them work through things without making them feel stupid. Love this book!
on June 19, 2016
I'm a huge fan of the user's Guide. Especially when that guide is to something normally impenetrable, such as the human heart. I read this book and, while I thought some of the verbiage was a bit simplistic, the message thus conveyed was powerful indeed.

I took the quiz associated with the book to affirm what I'd cone to suspect about my own love language. As it turns out, I was only half right. I'm hoping this idea is as revolutionary as it seems. That is, when read by me, it seems great. The big question: will this provide needed insight for someone I hold dear?

That, friends, is what will tell me if this book really is as well worth your time and money as it appears.
on June 6, 2017
Several people had recommended this book to me, so I finally broke down and bought it.
Wow! I wasn't really sure what I was expecting, but this book explained things in a way that really made sense.
Some of it seemed to me to be a bit redundant, but informational none-the-less.
After explaining what a love language and a love tank are, the last portion of the book has two different quizzes...
One for the guys, and one for the girls... taking the test, gives you an idea of what your personal love language might be...
I say might be, because I have one love language that I scored an 11, and two that are tied for second place, with a 10...
Now, the author did say it is very feasible to have one main language, and a secondary language that you "Speak"...
but he didn't say anything about having TWO secondary languages...
Informational.
I can see buying this book again, definitely to give as gifts...

If this review was helpful to you, please click Yes.
Thank you!
on April 7, 2017
Why I Choose this Book:

I was first introduced to the 5 Love Languages about six or seven years ago when I was in my late teens, and my world was literally changed. Around that time I read one of the 5 Love Languages books, but I’m not sure what edition. I figured it was time to do a refresher course, hence the reason for requesting this book.

What I Thought about this Book:

If I hadn’t already known about the 5 Love Languages and a lot of the material in this book, I think I would have had millions of light bulb moments going off. This book is a treasury of so much helpful information and explanations and logic that it’s crazy.

For those of you who don’t know, the 5 Love Languages are 1) Words of Affirmation 2) Physical Touch 3) Quality Time 4) Acts of Service and 5) Gifts. These are the five primary way that people give and receive love. It’s amazing how much sense this makes after you’ve studied it for a bit. Then pieces start falling into place, and the relationships you have can be greatly enhanced just by learning how to speak other people’s primary love languages.

I was a bit surprised how much of the book focused on the romantic side of the love languages (how to treat someone you’re dating, etc…), but I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. I’ve just found the love languages work incredible well for everyone – including family, friends, and even somewhat distant friendships such as co-workers. The book does go into how to apply the love languages to all the above situations, just not to the extreme that I had imagined it would.

If you ever feel like you’re not connecting with people well – especially those who you should have a good relationship with, such as family members, then this book will most likely revolutionize your relationships. It is so eye opening and practical. I’m incredibly thankful to have learned how to relate to people better.

Conclusion:

There were a few places with a bit of content that I wouldn’t be okay giving to children, but that’s perfectly fine, because it wasn’t written for children. (For instance on the chapter about physical touch being one of the love languages, they talk briefly about abuse. But, they handle everything in a way that I found very appropriate.)

I don’t agree with everything that’s in the book, but for the most part the information is incredibly helpful and totally spot-on. I highly recommend the book.

Rating:

I’m giving The Five Love Languages: Singles Edition 5 out of 5 stars, and 10 out of 10.

*I received this book from Moody Press
on May 21, 2017
This book was truely eye opening! My wife and I have been having intense arguments about how we don't support each other's needs. She always complained to me that I didn't help enough around the house. I just thought she was nagging and trying to be controlling. After reading this book I now understand that her primary love language is acts of service. This book has improved my understanding of what makes my wife feel loved. I recommend this book to EVERYONE in a relationship.
on July 31, 2015
I didn't realize this book is written for married couples. If you are unmarried and you can mentally replace all the instances of "spouse," "husband," and "wife" with "partner," it's a fantastic read. Whether married, engaged, single, dating, or other, Dr. Chapman gives the reader excellent advice on being the best partner you can be in a relationship. It's all about putting yourself in your partner's shoes, discovering his/her love language, and learning to speak it. Though he focuses on the relationship between a husband and a wife, these practices can be applied to family members, friendships, work relationships, even to your pets. I realized my male cat's love language is physical touch while my female's is quality time--she just wants to sit next to me all the time, whether I pet her or not, while my male likes his alone time, but when he does come round he wants me to scratch his chin, rub his face and let him headbutt me. Oh and I discovered my boyfriend's love language too, so it's a win all around!
on July 15, 2017
I'm so upset that I didn't hear about this book sooner. Very easy read. Finished it in 3 sittings. Amazing insights and tips that you can actually remember and use immediately. It's only been 1 week since I've been putting some of his advise in action and I can feel the difference in our relationship. An absoulte must read for all couples, before or after marriage. Going to purchase love languages for children as well!!!
on June 29, 2017
I just recently bought this book as a gift but had read it years ago. During the first few years of or marriage, my husband and i were close to divorce. We were desperate for help and looked for different resources to help us. This was one resource that we read together. I highly recommend the book for both men and women. It is simple and easy-to-understand but extremely helpful and practical.

From the book, I learned that I needed quality time and that knowledge helped to transform our relationship because my husband realized that I needed him to spend time with me.

I highly recommend this book.
on July 11, 2017
Simple concept but actually really helpful in a marriage. Both hubby and I read it and found it to be really useful with practical tasks we can do daily. I think it helped remind us that relationships are work and not designed to be easy every step of the way. A good read if you are struggling in your relationship, although I recommend both parties read it! If it's just one of you putting in the work, things wont improve.