Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

This is an awesome slow cooker cookbook! It has to be the best one I have and soon to be the only slow cooker cookbook I'll own. There is such and assortment of recipes!! There is sure to be one to match your mood, the weather, crock pot size, ingredients available, occasion, hair color you name it, haha. I was so surprised by how many recipes this has. Sure it has processed ingredients but there plenty with just plain ol' stuff in your pantry too. The book is huge but for its size I'm so happy it lays flat when opened! Nothing more inconvenient than using a can of green beans as a page weight while trying to hold your cookbook open. There aren't a lot of pictures but what there is is plenty for me. Sure I like pictures(nice to know what my dish is supposed to look like) but I can do just fine without. The little drawings throughout are cute and add a cozy touch to this book. (There's a piggie in the upper corner for the pork recipes, a loaf of bread for the bread recipes, a cow for the beef recipes and so on.) Nothing fancy but cute. There are notes and tips for some recipes as well as variations. There are recipes that are noted as being "light" or "meatless" too. I've made a few dishes already with great results. If one doesn't turn out how I like there is plenty more to choose from :) I think its very well organized and so happy I finally bought this book. The only tiny issue for me is I wish there were a couple pages at the end of the book for "NOTES" so that I could write down my favorite recipes. The pages are nice and thick if you do decide to make notes next to recipes, so that's a plus. Some of my cookbooks have blank pages in the back and I've come to appreciate being able to jot down my favorite for a quick reference. Especially considering the size of the book it'd be helpful. But all us well, I still love the bookđź‘Ť
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
170 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 25, 2018
Well, the good news is, this cook book has absolutely everything. If you need a recipe for anything, say pulled pork, this will have at least 10 versions of it. Only complaints are that it is dated. It has some products that are not available any more (Butter Buds?), or have different sizes or ingredients than they did when this was published. Also the "healthy" recipes are not at all healthy by today's standards. This book's version of healthy is low-fat, and highly processed foods, which to me is what was considered healthy in the 80s and early 90s.
Many recipies contains a lot of highly processed food ingredients, like Stove Top stuffing, or other pre-packaged foods. There are probably 10 variations of recipes along the lines of chicken + cream of mushroom soup + Stove Top stuffing.

On the positive side, the recipes are very easy, usually only have about 5 ingredients, and pretty reliable.
We have found a few recipes that are easy weekday meals that can cook while we are at work. And that is what we were looking for.
I would say, it's worth the money, and a good cookbook to have on hand in a pinch.
11 people found this helpful
on December 16, 2015
There are tons of recipes in this book. Chances are you will find some keepers in here. Overall I like it. The downside is the organization is lacking. I have to take some time to sit and read or thumb through the book to find what I am looking for. I have not found a quick way to find a specific recipe other than learning the book.
15 people found this helpful
on January 6, 2018
There is no single author. This looks like someone asked the internet for their favorite recipes and printed the responses. Just like any search engine, some are good and most look like they haven’t been reviewed and there are many very similar recipes.
7 people found this helpful
on January 20, 2016
Disappointed. Basically, its like a bunch of Taste of Home recipes from random people assembled together. Not sure exactly what I was expecting, but that wasn't it. Returned.
10 people found this helpful
on September 16, 2012
At first glance, I didn't like this cookbook very much. Whilst it boasts 1,400 recipes, I discovered that these were not all unique recipes. Some of those many 1,400 recipes were variations of others also in the cookbook. After taking time to compare though, the differences really add a lot to this book and are one of the reasons why I now consider it so good. Feel like making tomato soup? The different recipes all feature different ingredients, and preparation times, so you can choose what best fits your situation. No more looking through a cookbook only to find that perfect recipe and then realize you don't have the correct ingredients. Now you can just read on a bit and find the recipe that suits you! It's a bit daunting at first, but stick with it because you'll really appreciate having so much choice. I know I certainly do.

It may take you a while to learn how to get the best out of this book. The book is ordered logically enough into categories: soups, stews, breads, chicken, pork, beef, seafood desserts, beverages, etc, but 1400 recipes is a lot to try to organize into such few categories, and I did find myself struggling to locate something good. There did seem to be some logic to how the recipes in each category were organized - meatball recipes (for the most part) seemed to be together. But there were exceptions when I'd find some random recipe for chili in the middle of the recipes for stew.

The recipes themselves looked simple enough. The ingredients are mostly common products that should be easy to find at most grocery stores. There was a reliance on a lot of canned soups, packaged mixes and frozen vegetables. I don't mind this if the end result tastes good. I was also pleased that overall, the recipes weren't too expensive. The chicken cordon bleu recipe I made probably worked out at costing around $5 for 2 people. I think that's quite reasonable for how good it tasted.

There are also some recipes that feature nutritional information. Not all, but it's helpful when it's there.

Some of the recipes feature "tips", but I did not like what I read of those, as most of them featured "advice" like "My son liked this", or "we had this during a family get-together and everyone loved it." I really don't want space wasted in my recipe book to be told that recipe was delicious. I'd expect them to be seeing as how I just brought the book!

The recipes themselves are simple, clearly laid out, and most of them require only 2 - 4 steps. I'd have liked more pictures in the book, but with 1,400 recipes, there can only be so many.

I don't cook with my slow cooker every night, and I've only had this recipe book a few weeks now, so I haven't had too much chance to try out many of the recipes. I did try the chicken cordon bleu, and found it to be absolutely delicious.
12 people found this helpful
on August 6, 2015
Big, heavy, and full of recipes that look very good. I haven't made anything from this book yet, but have made several items from the other Fix-It and Forget-It cookbook by the same author -- the one with 700 recipes. They were all delicious. I expect these recipes to be likewise after having read through a lot of them. When I first opened the book, I opened it randomly to see if the recipes I landed on would have the kinds of things others have said there's too much of (canned soup, for example). Out of five recipes I looked at when doing my random sampling, only one had a pre-prepared item: frozen vegetables. As I continued to read, I found many, many recipes that call for fresh foods.

I was afraid that, because of the number of pages (700!) and the heaviness of the covers, the pages of the book wouldn't lie flat enough for easy reading while cooking, but they do. There's the rounding of the pages down the center when the book is opened, just as you'd expect, but the margins on the recipes keep that from being a problem.
3 people found this helpful
on June 5, 2017
Recipes are very good. No need to purchase unusual food in order to prepare meal
5 people found this helpful
on August 11, 2014
I was really hoping this cookbook might have some good recipes. It might, but if it does, they are buried between things like "Chicken Alfredo" where the "alfredo" sauce is cream-of-mushroom-soup and Velveeta, and the "clam chowder" where the first ingredient is a CAN OF CLAM CHOWDER.

I prefer to cook from scratch, so a book full of recipes that call for cream-of-whatever-soup and processed "cheese" (which is probably 90% of the recipes I read before I gave up) aren't really what I was hoping for.

At least it has some mild entertainment value. (First ingredient in a recipe for clam chowder is a can of clam chowder! I keep the book around to prove to people that I'm not making this up.)
60 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 4, 2018
Folks need to understand that these "devises" (crock-pots) are hoping to make life easier! Can't even believe the negative reviews. The whole idea is to make daily life easier and have "something" yummy to eat at the end of the day. That said: there's a TON of good recipes using easily found ingredients to make coming home to din-din a positive experience!
2 people found this helpful