Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 28 reviews
on October 12, 2014
Arrived on time and in excellent condition. Stories are interesting and well-organized. Online price is a little high, especially for such a small collection of stories.
Don't get me wrong, I love a thick juicy novel as much as anyone, but there is something truly astonishing about the creative genius that can be put into 1-2 page stories. I am a huge huge fan of flash fiction and am personally shocked there aren't more anthologies like this out there. Maybe it won't replace the novel, or even the regular-length short story, but as society becomes more and more ADD I have a feeling FF is going to be here to stay.

As far as this collection goes, there are definitely some amazing stories in here as well as a good number of duds. The good news is that the most time you'll waste reading a bad story is about 1-3 minutes. Unlike a bad novel, where you may be wasting 12+ hours of your life!

These are the stories that stuck out to me as exceedingly excellent in one way or another:

-Sashimi Cashmere, Carolyn Forde
-Pledge Drive, Patricia Marx
-The Handbag, Michael Augustin
-Parrot Talk, Kit Coyne Irwin
-The Death of the Short Story, J. David Stevens

So yeah, that's about 18/80 really good stories. Maybe that's only a 20%, but truthfully even the ones not mentioned weren't that bad, just less note-worthy. I only mention these because I found them to be truly spectacular. If you don't have time to read the whole book, you should at least check these out. Then read the others, they're good too.
on June 28, 2013
I give this 4 starts just because its for school, so I didn't buy this out of my own personal interest. I will say, however, that the stories are really good. I read one of them and was smacked in the face by how profound an effect it had. The stories are incredibly short, but they live this sense that something amazing has just been read. Theses authors know their stuff. If you're looking for a good short story that's maybe a page and a half per, then definitely pick this up.
on November 23, 2013
Great book! Selections are quite varied and I found new authors represented, plus a few faves I have had for a long time. This is a good book for reading selections aloud and then using it for discussion of literature. Highly recommended.
on May 16, 2012
It was very hard not to set my life aside and just tear through this book. I'm limiting myself to just a few per sitting; I can't bear to use it up. The stories are magnificent: beautifully written, incredibly moving, totally engrossing. Highly highly highly recommend.
on November 4, 2016
Before reading this book, I had never heard of flash fiction. The book is full of the best flash fiction. My favorite one is about the prison cats. I am still trying to figure out what the symbolism means. If you like short stories, BUY this. If you are interested in short fiction, BUY this. If you have been reading flash or micro fiction online, BUY and LOVE this.
on November 18, 2013
This is a fantastic read. It really changed my thinking on fiction and short stories as each selection is so brief and to the point. To me, these are much more realistic and engaging than most fiction--they feel more like lyric essays, or brief snapshots of someone's life. It's easy to read and good for someone not looking to commit to a long novel. I would definitely recommend this.
on April 4, 2014
Wonderful anthology. The stories are thought-provoking. It's great for any fan of flash fiction and Robert Shapard's collections. If you liked it, I'd recommend checking out his other anthologies.
on September 16, 2007
These stories are beautifully written and crafted, so short, so significant. They are easy to read, hard to forget. Like stones dropped in wells, they ripple through your mind in ever widening rings.
on February 25, 2014
If you like flash fiction, this is an anthology you don't want to miss. Well chosen, well edited, a great read.