|Print List Price:||$5.99|
Save $4.00 (67%)
FlashWired Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Wow. Just... Wow.
I don't know how to describe how I feel about this short story, but I'll try. First off, Anna Butler sure knows how to rise the temperature when she gives us a "love" scene. The British may be thought of as reserved, but don't ever think that means passionless. I was worried that the sex aspect was going to be the main, pardon the pun, thrust of the story, but I was wrong. It is there as an accent to the character's relationship.
This is not a story of sex, but a story of love between a former sexual "butterfly" and a man newly divorced with an angry ex and a child. One is ready to go all in, and the other has some reservations. I could almost see myself in the story as I think we have all played one of the parts at some point in our lives.
The sci-fi in the story was fairly basic until we get further along. That's when Anna Butler gets creative. I can't say that her plot device was exactly fresh and new, as to me if felt a little familiar, though I can't quite put my finger on it as to why. That is not to say that it wasn't exciting to read. Because I though it was very much an exciting read. The thoughts and feelings of her characters come through loud and clear and quite believable. Her aliens are.. well... alien. I realize that this is a short story, so there wasn't time or space to fully develop the other cultures. But with any luck, they'll be around in other stories with more life and history written into them.
This is my first encounter with Anna Butler's writing. I know I will be reading more of her work, and I would highly recommend that you give it a try too. Be warned. this story does include a highly descriptive scene of physical intimacy between two men. It may not be your cup of tea, but it is also a section you can easily skip over and still enjoy the rest of Ms. Butlers offering.
Unfortunately, however, after all that initial set up, the story peters out in more ways than one. The rescue went FAR too smoothly, involving too many contrivances and conveyances. Then it ends without concluding in any manner. It's not so much a cliffhanger as a sense of waiting. But all of the threads are left open.
Perhaps this is the first in a series. I don't know. The writing was strong enough that I'd be willing to follow the story, but I'm not fond of the serial format of publishing a story.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Exploration
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > LGBT
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Exploration