Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Flashdance
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

on September 7, 2003
Of the top five or so movies that have had the greatest impression on me, no movie had the personal impact as did "Flashdance." I was going through, what I like to call, a "character building" period in my life after having moved to California a little less than a year before this movie came out. Long story short: no job, no car, no money when a friend of mine called and said he wanted me to go see "Flashdance," with him- his treat. After a little coercing, I gave in.
Yes, the movie has a typical or predictable plot, but I would not call it weak because of the actors and the memorable characters they created. The viewer is bonded to the characters in this movie- one cares what happens to them. The cinematography in this movie is great, especially the opening credit scenes of Pittsburgh as Alex is riding her bike to work. No, this movie doesn't have "5-star" acting... I think that would have ruined this whole movie. It has, what I would call, "real-life" acting: not that polished and maybe stumbles a bit here and there. It gives this movie its strength, not a weakness.
Not only are the musical scenes great, the background musical interludes chosen also help set the feeling in many of the scenes... "Lady, Lady, Lady," sung by Joe Esposito playing during a tender romantic scene between Alex and her boss, and- my favorite- "I'll Be Here Where The Heart Is," sung by Kim Carnes played during one of Alex's low-points in the film.
The highlight of the film is its finale when Alex is auditioning in front of the Pittsburgh Dance and Conservatory Company's selection committee. I would call it one of the greatest movie moments of all time. I stepped out of the theatre feeling I was walking three feet above the ground back to the car. I have never left another movie sensing that level of enthusiasm, exhilaration, and energy. I made myself a promise at that moment that things would get better... and they did too... in ways I never could have imagined at the time. Thank you, Jennifer Beals, for the motivation and inspiration you gave me at that time in my life!
This was one of the most influential movies of the '80's. The DVD picture is clearer and the sound incredible compared to my ol' VHS tape. GREAT movie! If you haven't seen it, buy it and see what positive effect it has on you!
44 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2003
You just keep waiting for that Oscar-winning title song to come around again; it's gotta be the most joyful, uplifting, foot-stompin', head and hip swinging tune ever written for a movie. Jennifer Beals works as a welder by day, but does sexy dancing in a club at night, practicing constantly for a chance to audition for the formal dance school, tho she'd never had formal training and feels inferior to the others in the audition lines.
As reality, it won't float. But as an energetic and boisterous vehicle for a sweet story and some of the best music and dancing ever seen on screen, it's a five-star winner.
on July 16, 1999
Words can't describe how much I love this film. This was the film that made me want to become a dancer. I love the opening dance scene and I've always wanted to re-create it. Jennifer Beals is a great actress and it's hard to believe that she was only 18 years old when this film was made. Michael Nouri is great as well. This film also has an incredible soundtrack and the title song is one of my favorites. The story is one that any dancer can relate to. Before I go to an audition I always try to watch the end scene in this film or listen to the song "What a Feeling." I absolutely adore this film and I hope that many young dancers will enjoy it too.
on January 20, 2002
Okay, I've read some of the negative reviews on Flashdance, and all I can say is they make me feel sick! "Flashdance" is a cultural icon that started so much that we commonly see today in film. I was 2 years old when this movie came out...My mother took me to see it, for reasons that are unknown. However, since that day back in 1983, this movie has been a part of my life in every way. Jennifer Beals is an angel that is extremely under-appreciated. I am an avid collector of Flashdance memoribilia, which most people find odd for a 21 year old guy. But Hey! It touched me in a weird way, and it really affected me with its serious and powerful meaning. "Take your passion and make it happen" Is there a better phrase for inspirational motivation? No, I dont think so!
on August 8, 2016
I've seen the movie before but had forgotten the part where Alex plays the stupid "I want to do it all by myself" rejection of Nick's already provided help after lengthy 18 year old shyness about even submitting the application. The universe is sparse enough of genuine facilitators that such a response was absurd. When the universe genuinely provides what a person wants and needs, acceptance and "going for it" is the only appropriate response. Fortunately Alex shaped up to make her mentor Hanna posthumously proud of her. Good character building pointers for the plethora of lackadaisical millenials scared of their own shadows.
VIDEO:

Flashdance arrives on blu ray with MPEG-4 AVC @ 26 MBPS 1080p 1.78: 1 encode. Continuing the theme of contrasts, director Adrian Lyne and cinematographer Don Peterman shot a movie about artistic aspiration in the gritty urban style pioneered by Lyne's countryman Alan Parker for Fame (1980). Lyne then softened the imagery by dispersing smoke into the air in almost every shot such that, according to editor Bud Smith, there were always a few takes that couldn't be used because the actors were obscured. (Midway through production, the studio panicked and ordered that no more smoke be used, and Lyne posted an assistant to watch for the approach of any studio people, so that the smoke machine could be hidden before they arrived.) The result is an often soft, delicately colored image of a type that has gone almost entirely out of fashion in today's world of digital photography and post-production. The grain and texture of the imagery have been retained without diminishment. Blacks are deep and accurate, and shadow detail is properly rendered in places where you're supposed to see it. Minutia of hair, faces, costumes and the rusting Pittsburgh cityscape are readily discernible. Lyne and Peterman carefully designed Flashdance for visual contrast between the muted everyday world and the garishly "hyper-real" stage show at Mawby's, with its intense colors and bright lights. This contrasts with soft image was faithfully brought out with this encode, thanks to restraint in excessive artificial sharpening and noise reduction. (4.5/5)

AUDIO:

Flashdance arrives on blu ray with DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio lossless track. The chief beneficiary of the lossless multi-channel treatment is the historic soundtrack. The songs sound airier and more "opened up" than I have ever heard them before, from the moment Irene Cara's voice comes in over the opening titles. The dialogue is occasionally overwhelmed by Giorgio Moroder's instrumental score, but this has always been the case with Flashdance. The sound mixers understood what was important, and dialogue took a backseat to the beat. Flashdance…What A Feeling won Oscars for Giorgio Moroder, Keith Forsey and Irena Cara, as the Best Original Song. There are many great songs from this soundtrack. Maniac by Michael Sembello was also nominated as Best Original Song. Flashdance…What A Feeling is one of my all-time favourite song. Somehow it gave me an uplifting experience. Now to hear all these favourites in multi-channel lossless audio is definitely the highlights of this film. (5/5)

TRIVIA:

1 Did you know that this film was inspired by a trip to a Toronto strip club?
2 The role of Alex Owens was originally offered to Melanie Griffith, who turned it down. Executives at Paramount Pictures wanted an unknown for the part. A nationwide search for a young actress was narrowed down to three finalists: Leslie Wing, Demi Moore, and Jennifer Beals. Reportedly, a Paramount executive took pictures of the three actresses to a group of construction workers on the studio lot, asking them "Which of these women do you most want to make love to?" and being given the answer "Jennifer Beals".
3 Marine Jahan was Jennifer Beals' body double for the dancing scenes. Jahan was kept hidden from the press because the filmmakers did not want to ruin the illusion. Alex's leap through the air in the audition scene was done by gymnast Sharon Shapiro and the break-dancing was done by Crazy Legs. Jahan also appeared in the music video for Maniac.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Both the video and audio are far more superior than the 2002 standard Collector’s Edition DVD. The soundtrack has sold over 20 million copies worldwide. The soul of this film belongs to both Jennifer Beals and the wonderful soundtrack. To see Jennifer Beals workout in high definition, surrounded by the lossless soundtrack, is my dreams come true. What a body…what a soundtrack…And What A Feeling! This set is highly recommended.

Finally, as per usual Amazon tradition, reviews of this film on standard DVD and even VHS tape are included in this HD section. Please read the date of review before wasting time reading outdated reviews.
on July 14, 2015
This film is, by now, iconic in nature, with its energetic dance sequences and its look back at the 80s. It tells the story of a young woman who wants to break into the world of ballet but who has never taken any lessons. She is a dancer in a nightclub which features showgirl-type acts (without nudity or even partial nudity) while holding down a job as a welder during the day, all while living in an abandoned warehouse. Her romantic attraction is no less than the owner of the company for whom she works. Thus the stage is set fr the poor-girl-makes-good (with a bit of help from the well-positioned company owner) as she gets her chance to try out for the ballet company. At times the film is a bit schmaltzy, but it's fun to watch for the music, the dancing, and the simple romantic story line.
on August 18, 2013
Great story of making it happen by going for your dream. This unknown puppy dog eyed girl was a perfect choice for this movie and played the role as good as anyone else could have. The sound track is excellent, the story line is interesting, cute, serious and funny all at the same time.This is the movie that I can watch every year and never get tired of it. It is considered one of the cult classic movies and worth it to own it.
on August 12, 2016
This was an ok bluray for me.
The sound and picture quality was good.

The DTS HD Remastered sound was good.
The picture was clear and there are no dirt or any blur at all.
The black's and white's and especially red's are very great.

You all like the film so I won't talk about the film itself.

Purchase this film even if you have the dvd.
This is one of my all-time favorites. I love stories of people in ordinary jobs who, despite setbacks and unique challenges, manage to pull themselves out of poverty and mediocrity to achieve all they can be. My books in The Timkers series follow similar stories of women who find their way out of the morass of everyday life and find happiness--with or without the help of men.