Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 558 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 711 reviews
on February 26, 2010
This book is really good. I like that it has all of the basic information about the Flat Belly Diet in the beginning, so if one were to want to do the flat belly diet they really only need the cookbook and can save money not buying the other book (which explains the diet but doesn't have any recipes). I have tried several recipes and they have all been very good. I like that they are healthy recipes with flavor and for the most part fairly easy to make. For me, personally, sticking to the actual diet part is not easy because I think it is a little time consuming and can be a little expensive. But I wanted this more to understand the diet and see how it could fit into my lifestyle of eating healthy. And it does! I would recommend this book. It offers recipes for: breakfast, soups & sandwiches, vegetarian, seafood, poultry, meats, snacks, and desserts. The other thing that is great about this book is that for each recipe it tells you how long it takes to make, how many servings, the nutrition info (calories, protein, carbs, fat, sat fat, cholesterol, sodium and fiber)and the MUFA (monounsaturated fats). It also tells you for each recipe what to pair it with to make it a "complete" MUFA meal and then tells you the total caloric intake if you do pair it with the suggestion. The other thing that I do like about this book is that it offers a planned out 14 day meal plan in the appendix and a MUFA serving chart (lists each MUFA, the serving size and the calories). User friendly. Good recipes. Good information.
22 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2015
I really wish there were a clear formula somewhere for the map of what we are eating. Examples are everywhere, but I'm a "rules" kinda gal. Also, I'm a vegetarian and there wasn't much help in substitutions for that. I DO love the Sassy Water. That was a great recipe that I continue to make daily. But...you could google that recipe and save some money. Book was okay. Nothing ground-breaking.

Sassy water:
sliced cucumber, lemon, grated ginger, and fresh mint

I like to put it in a pitcher that diffuses flavor but keeps the seeds and ginger gratings. Delicious!
on February 19, 2013
The Belly Fat Diet has taken the basic information that we have heard most of the last 30 years and put it into and easy to follow delicious, statisfying and HEALTHY diet. We have heard for years to cut or eliminate processed sugar, salt, animal fat, refined flour and finally how to practice portion control. This diet helps you to do all those things in a simple delicious way. You eat 4 meals per day, there is selection flexibility and, yes, you can have avacados, dark chocolate, peanut butter (or any seed or nut butter) and steak, among other things. My 16 year old granddaugher has lost 18 lbs, my 40 year old daugher has lost 12 and I have lost 10 and I am 72, all in the last 5 weeks. Most importantly, I would recommend this diet to anyone over 50 or elderly. I have been diabetic for the last 18 years. Within 3 days, I had to stop taking one medication all together and reduce my other medication from 8 pills per day to 2. I could not take them anymore without overdosing. They say you can stop being a Type II diabetic or dramatically reduce the severity by simply changing your diet. It is absolutely true and this diet did that for me. One thing I would strongly recommend, if you are going to try exciting things like pizza. Do not eat a regular pizza for a month or so. Let your taste buds get use to the lower fat you will be consuming. If you have a favorite recipe that you eat on a regular basis, don't try modifying it to fit this diet for a couple of months. This evening my family had pizza, steamed cauliflower/carrots and apple crisp. Most diabetic magazines fit into this diet with tasty recipes and the magazine "Clean Eating" has good nutritional information as well as interesting recipes "the apple crisp" was one of them. I downloaded the book on my Kindle Fire and am able to search it for recipes with ingredients I have on hand. By the way, the first place I lost weight was in my stomach area. I had to start wearing a belt to keep my jeans up. So, Good luck to those of you on this diet and to the rest of you, "what are you waiting for?"
on December 5, 2013
I admit it. I am a diet book addict. I read the books, not because I expect them to unlock any earth shattering weight loss secrets, but for inspiration. When I read the books it gets me to pay attention to what I am eating. Feeding the brain with what should be feeding the belly.

That said, this is one of the few diet books with which I actually experienced some serious weight loss success. I lost about 30 pounds in about 5 months and 4 years later have only gained 5 back. Granted, I exercised a lot while on the diet, but I had the energy to exercise while limiting my calories. I also think I was successful with this one because the foods were very similar to what I eat on a regular basis. The adjustments were minimal. The book encouraged me to eat a little more of the good stuff and a little less of the bad stuff. I paid more attention to calorie intake and alas maybe there is some magic in the MUFA after all.

So now onto some of the more trendy or extreme diet book reading. Can I get a shout out for gluten and casein free?? However, when its time to meet some real weight loss goals this is the book I will pull off the shelf.
on March 3, 2017
The original book was a lifesaver. I've learned how to eat better without sacrificing taste, or having to ingest a ton of processed foods like other weight loss programs. I bought this book because it has desserts, and I just can't live without dessert.
on December 25, 2016
I have looked at other diets and this diet is not anything different, It is still a 1600 calorie diet. the most obvious item that I noticed is the name dropping that occurs in this book. I also don't think that the average person could even find half of the "organic" ingredients this diet requires much less afford the same. I agreed to look at this diet at the request of my physician, looking is all I am going to do.
on May 23, 2016
The idea of monounsaturated fatty acids is a good idea. I do agree with that. BUT, while the 4-day kickstart did help me lose 4 pounds and 2 inches, I found that it was hard to find really healthy, satisfying meals in the recipes and there was a lot of bread/grains and dairy in the recipes, but not so much vegetable variety. It has a lot of carrots, onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Where are the cruciferous green vegetables? I aslo don't agree with eating non-fat dairy. You need some fat for your brain and hormones. After the 4 days, I regained what I had initially lost. They claim you don't have to exercise to lose the belly, but that is really far-fetched. I don't recommend this diet.
on March 16, 2010
The Flat Belly Diet is a really simple diet and I love the food options. I've made a couple of the recipes (have only had it a week) and they are Yummy!! The cookbook doesn't have as many pictures as I would like but don't let that stop you from getting this cookbook. It has all the calories & fat, etc. listed for each recipe which makes it easy to keep a food journal. And wait until you see the dessert selections! The whole idea is to eat good whole foods & to get that processed food (YUCK) out of your diet.
The beginning of the cookbook goes over the basics of the Flat Belly Diet and has some very helpful advice. Exercise is not a must but STRONGLY recommended.
I also recommend the Biggest Loser's Family Cookbook.
on August 17, 2014
This is a good, healthy diet with a fun little hook: MUFAs (monounsaturated fatty acids). Who wouldn't want to eat a MUFA (olives, chocolate chips, etc.) at every meal? But, guess what? The real skinny on this (and any effective weight loss diet) acknowledges that the laws of physics apply, i.e. calories consumed must be fewer than activity level requires. By eating 1600 calories a day and walking a mile or so, most any sedentary person who has some extra pounds to spare will lose weight. The Sassy water is good, too. Increasing water intake has been proven to help with weight loss, and plain water is such a bore. One caveat: the recipes are hard to access in the Kindle edition, and going to the Prevention web site to find them is next to impossible, plus it opens you up to intense commercial bombardment from the mag. Wish I'd bought a hard copy.
on April 12, 2014
This is an interesting theory. I did participate in the quick 4 day diet to lose & anti-bloat. I did not lose weight but did feel less bloated and I did follow the diet correctly. I documented what I ate on the Weight watcher's log & counted the points. The points came to 22-23 points per day which is consistent with my weight with WW. I feel like the diet takes too much time preparing food for the specific recipes for me. I wasn't hungry either because I was always eating frequently on this diet which for me seemed to take too much time. I do not want my life to revolve around constantly preparing or eating food this is why this plan doesn't work for me. I will stick to Weight Watchers.