Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
on December 19, 2011
Looking up information on Roxy Music albums from the 1980s (both of them) to decide which ones to listen to online, I read where "Avalon" was the comeback album for the band after the disappointing "Flesh and Blood." Well, I listened to "Avalon" and wasn't incredibly impressed at first though that has since changed, so I gave "Flesh and Blood" a try because I already knew I liked a couple of singles "Over You" and, especially, "Oh Yeah." Where has this album been all my life? It is wonderful! After listening to it online, I knew I had to have it. There is not one weak track. Even the two cover tracks are well selected and executed, especially the Byrd's "Eight Miles High." "Oh Yeah" is my favorite Roxy Music single I have heard and I really like "Over You," but, after listening to "Flesh and Blood," I would put "Oh Yeah" as the third best song on the album (after the title track and "My Only Love") and "Over You" the seventh best (after "Same Old Scene," No Strange Delight," and the "Eight Miles High" cover). I don't know why this was a disappointment for some Roxy Music fans back in 1980, it sure was a pleasant surprise for me now. My CD copy includes lyrics one nice photo of the Roxy trio.

1. "The Midnight Hour"--The Wilson Pickett classic isn't really my cup of tea musically, but I like the way Roxy Music covered it. It is more restrained and smooth.
2. "Oh Yeah"--Beautiful song. I've listened to it for years and it still sounds fresh. The lyrics are nice, too.
3. "Same Old Scene"--The opening to this track sounds a lot like the beginning of Gary Numan's "Remind Me To Smile" which is off another of my all-time favorite albums, "Telekon." Both "Telekon" and "Flesh and Blood" were released in 1980. I really like the smooth verses and how danceable this track is.
4. "Flesh and Blood"--Awesome! From the opening guitar strums and the bass rhythm, to the restrained vocals, this is my favorite song on the album of the same name. It also makes me think of Gary Numan, but of his 1981 and 1982 albums "Dance" and "I, Assassin" which sport that same style of rhythmic bass.
5. "My Only Love"--A song prettier than "Oh Yeah"? No way! Well, I think this might be. It has a dark beauty to it.

6. "Over You"--I've always liked this catchy single, but am not crazy about the horn section in it.
7. "Eight Miles High"--Actually, the first version of this song I ever heard was Husker Du's, which a lot of fans praise, but is a bit too noisey and screamy for my tastes. Roxy Music gives it a more smooth, accessible, danceable 1980s sound.
8. "Rain, Rain, Rain"--Could this track be thrown in a Bob Marley playlist? It has an easy beat and the lyrics repeat the words "getting high."
9. "No Strange Delight"--Another wonderful, dark song.
10. "Running Wild"--A slow and reflective song that makes for an appropriate closing number.
"Flesh & Blood" from 1980, found Roxy Music at the height of their transition from the very eclectic and experimental style of their first and extraordinary album in 1972 through 1975's "Siren". Following the much underappreciated "Manifesto" 1979, and culminating with "Avalon" in 1982. Bryan and Co. continued to expand on their own brand of postmodern and progressive sound, that would eventually become one of the biggest influence along with the likes of Bowie, on a slew of the newwave bands to come (The New Romantics). Bryan Ferry's lounge lizard incarnation seemed to have come to full fruition on "Flesh & Blood". I think all the songs on here are exceptional, including the covers "In the Midnight Hour" and "Eight Miles High". I especially like "Flesh and Blood", "Rain Rain Rain", "My Only Love", the Ferry/Manzanera penned "No Strange Delight" and "Running Wild". The absence of the great Paul Thompson was made up by some great session drummers like - Allan Schwartzberg, Andy Newmark, and Simon Phillips. In my humble opinion, Roxy Music never made a bad record! (BTW: the HDCD sound is great, thanks to Bob Ludwig on a fantastic job.)

Love and Peace,
Carlos Romero
on November 4, 2012
Flesh+Blood is by far the best Roxy Music recording ever. The song itself is chilling, honest and just a masterpiece. Simple and to the point.
The guitar work alone is haunting and sticks in your mind. At least it has in mine since 1980. I was fortunate enough to see them on their last tour
with the release of Avalon. While they didn't play Flesh+Blood, I felt it in every song. Brilliant band highly under-rated.
on November 5, 2013
Great Roxy Music album. If you like Avalon and Manifesto, you should own this one as well. I picked this up in order to get my order up to $25 for free shipping, and I'm really glad I now own it. When I bought it I also got the MP3 download instantly, so that was cool too.
on January 15, 2016
Great music. Seems everyone gives Roxy musics last 2 albums bad reviews. But I like to love them.
on November 19, 2002
Probably Roxy Music's least critically-lauded LP, FLESH+BLOOD has always been my favorite Roxy record.
The covers--"The Midnight Hour" and "Eight Miles High"--are lame and dull, but if you strip them away and listen only to the Roxy originals, this is a fine LP.
I rarely played side two of my old vinyl copy, because side one was just so great. "Oh Yeah," "Same Old Scene," "Flesh and Blood," (with a scorching guitar/synth riff) and "My Only Love" rank as some of the best music Roxy Music ever recorded.
on March 11, 2015
I already own this on cassett, but wanted to hear as a CD. Brings back memories of the 90's...
on March 14, 2014
One of my husbands favorite Albums from back in 1980. Classic Bryan Ferry sound. Roxy Music was big in the 70s. Bryan Ferry still big today. Great tunes.
on May 18, 2014
The only Roxy music I did not have. It is really a shame they are now no more but this is well worth getting if you had not gotten it by now.
on August 15, 2015