Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 74 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 156 reviews
on December 14, 2015
This is the first of three related novels (self) published so far by this talented writer. Ms. Pettit's many fans understand that number four is in the works. Through well crafted fiction, this active commercial pilot is a woman on a serious mission, that of improving aviation safety. She is a wonderful story teller while always selling the underlying message of safety. Her books are page-turners and truly fun to read. If her books to date have a single fault is is the obvious lack of a Non-Self, professionally skilled copy editor. She is simply far too close to the work(s) to edit them. Despite the extremely skilled writing, the economies of attempting to self-edit are false economies and that have cost her dearly. (She is not the first and won't be the last.) In the hands of a professional editor, Ms. Pettit's books could become best sellers. When her next opus is ready, perhaps she will reconsider.
on October 23, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and all the twists and turns that the story took. I found it hard to put down. It was a really interesting read. Highly recommend it if you really like mysteries. I really think about a book before I give a 5 Star review because people claim that some of us give them too freely. In my opinion, this one deserves the rating.
on February 21, 2012
Flight For Control is an eye-awakening, humoristic, gasp-inducing aviation thriller, that has picked at and tickled my brain unlike any before. It will keep you up at night. The plot revolving around the lives of aviation related individuals gave a sense of belonging, being a commercially licensed, and aspiring airline pilot myself. The character development is immense, especially that of the main protagonist and antagonist, as they continued to shock the reader as the plot thickens beyond solidity. Flight For Control brings insight upon the current status, or status-quo, not only of the airline industry but all of Aviation. Petitt used her years of experience to put suspenseful and informative together and meshed it all in 69 jaw-dropping chapters. I already can't wait to read the next and/or see it on the big screen!
on January 15, 2016
I am not a fan of flying so this book makes me even less a fan. All airlines are beholden and driven by stockholders who only want profits. This book tells me that self regulation of the airline industry is not working. Why do planes fly if they have pilots so jetlagged they are basically drunk.
This book has a great storyline, great character building, and unbelievably scary in the fact that it could happen
on September 26, 2016
Tough to put this book down once you start reading it. The storyline is full of intrigue and suspense. I couldn't wait to see how it all worked out and ended up reading thru most of the night. I'm definitely reading the second book in this series.

I only give it four stars because of the gratuitous sex. It adds nothing of any significance to the story and I found no reason for it to be included. Fortunately, Kindle made it easy to skip thru those parts. I just don't understand why authors feel it necessary to include this stuff in an otherwise great book. Maybe some day someone will explain the reason.
on October 4, 2014
Flight for Control is a surprisingly candid view of the airline industry crafted against the backdrop of a fascinating mystery. Karlene is clearly well versed in her subject. She manages to put the reader in the position of trying to think through workable solutions to the problems she weaves into her novel. Regardless of your political points of view you will find the remedies presented by some of the novels characters to be falling short of the mark. Karlene suggests that there is a cost/value relationship to everything and that the public ignores this relationship at their peril.
on September 19, 2013
Like many pilots, I am critical of aviation stories, especially fiction where attempts at trade jargon and verbose descriptions are added for filler. Before I finished the prologue intro, I was hooked on this story line, and where Karlene would take it. True to Aviation terminology, her experience as a pilot, and her ability as a budding novelist (though I say her a writing ability has passed the developmental stages, and she successfully tells a great story), hold your attention. She adds adult situations which I enjoyed. I felt it was appropriate for today's action novels, and well blended to the story line.
The underlying theme and plot made me cringe, and to think the depth of collusion involved at first seemed too farfetched to be believable. Yet she ties it together well. Unfortunately, the reality of the past few years in aviation have started to meet up with her fiction. Pilots and Pax beware! Enjoy a good suspenseful read. My copy was the Kindle Ed.
Before the end, many charachters become like friend and family, and others villians. I miss spending time with my friends, and anxiously anticipate the next book.
I highly recommend this book!
on November 19, 2013
I found Karlene's "Flight for Control" after finding her amazing blog: "Flight for Success". Be sure to check it out. It is all about helping others. Let me first say, I have never met Karlene, but the more I learn about this woman, the more I am amazed. Her writing is only the tip of the iceberg.

As a novelist and retired airline pilot, I appreciate what Karlene has done with "Flight For Control". It is a novel with a deep theme that, due to the action and drama, many readers will not see. Petitt is telling more than a fictional story. Beneath the layers of thrills, drama, and suspense is a message of truth--one that can only be told by those of us who have lived it.

As a 21-year veteran airline pilot of one of the largest airlines in the world, Karlene's message resonates loudly...and it is chilling. Buckle up..."Flight For Control" will take you on a thrilling ride.

I am eager to read her next novel--soon to be released!
on March 25, 2012
I should state up front that while I've never met Karlene - I count her as a friend and we work together on FlightPodcast.com - if that means you're discounting my review, then so be it - Your Loss!

I really enjoyed Flight For Control. It's an ambitious write for a first time author - not that we can really call Karlene a first time author - as a Mother of 3, Grandmother of 6, I'm sure she's been spinning all of them yarns for years.

The first chapter launches you into a sharpening tale of a major aviation accident that kills all onboard a Domestic 737. As someone who has 20+ years in Aviation - I couldn't help but empathise with the major theme of the book - the plight of US pilots and the de-regulated airline industry at large so clearly communicated through the events and characters portrayed. But this tale is about the characters and their hopes and dreams as well, and I quickly got into those too.

After the accident, Karlene then adventurously heads off to draw on the lives of multiple protagonists over the succeeding chapters, but quickly draws them together into the plot. By about 40 pages I was hooked and kept skipping ahead to see what was going to happen, only to have to double back and re-read what I thought I'd read, to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I may have to read it again ...

If you're in or interested in aviation - you'll enjoy Flight For Control. Otherwise if you want to read about life in US aviation from a an insider who can really spin a story (clearly drawn from multiple aspects of the industry itself) - read this book.

Ken Pascoe ([...])
on July 14, 2012
FLIGHT FOR CONTROL
Certainly, both author Karlene Petitt and Jet Star Publishing, Inc., should be applauded for the debut novel, "Flight For Control". Not often do we see a home run hit on the first time at bat, but folks, I'm telling you, Ms. Petitt has hit one out of the park! It is hard to believe this is her first book.
Prologues are usually dry reading at best, just background information to set the stage for the story line of the book, generally boring stuff. However, in "Flight for Control" there's no boredom in the Prologue I assure you, "It blew my sox off!" It was exciting, breathtaking, shocking, horrifying, and absolutely brilliant, and that was just the prologue!
I feared following the build up and the crescendo-like prologue, the author would not be able to continue the pace and hold that level of intensity throughout the book. However, Ms. Petitt was able to develop her characters and weave the webs of deceptions, lies and exploits with the obvious expertise of a professional craftsman that she is.
I have authors who contact me regularly to review their books. I sometimes have a difficult time getting "into" their book, sometimes it takes several chapters for me to really get interested and involved, depending on how well the characters develop and how the background information is presented. Oftentimes I am bored. In Flight for Control, I was really "into this book" by the first paragraph, and I believe you will be too. I suspect you might not be able to put this book down, as I was captured and held hostage by this author myself. My old eyes were stinging and watering, and I was cross-eyed before I would stop reading this book at night. Reluctantly I would close the book to hope for morning, only to start reading again first thing.
The author's vast working knowledge of aviation worked to her advantage, but she never let the professional jargon overwhelm the reader and was able to keep it simple without being condescending. Her love for aviation was abundantly clear though the industry's problems in reality was good fodder for the plot and gave credibility to the fictional storyline.
I have always said a great book must have three ingredients to be a "hit". First, it must have airplanes; second, it must have a great plot and third, it must include sex. Folks this is absolutely a great book! I can't wait until Karlene Petitt's next novel is published. Between you and me, I want to read more about sexy Darby and her experiences, (grin), but Neil's a loser... I understand there is a sequel to this book coming in the near future...
Flight for Control is a great read for aviation enthusiasts and non-flyers alike. If you like a grand mystery and a thriller with lots of twists and turns in the plot, then you will enjoy this book. In my opinion, Karlene Petitt is a prodigy and will learn exponentially from this first experience, and the next one will be even better. Petitt is already in the league of Nance, Coonts, Griffin, Thor and Berent. Watch for amazing things from Karlene Petitt. Read her book Flight for Control. I highly recommend it!
JR Hafer, Aviation Writer