Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Flight From The Dark
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

VINE VOICEon September 3, 2011
Lone Wolf is a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure game pitting a Kai warrior monk against an invading evil army in the fictional world of Magnamund. It starts as a simple training session, then winged creatures start arriving to attack the Kai fortress. Aiding you will be 5 abilities of your choice. Lone Wolf was one of the most popular adventure books of all time, and even has its own Wikipedia page. If you'd like to peruse the book before purchase, the are available free at projectaon.org with permission from the author.

The Kindle version is fairly good.

The combat is slightly more streamlined than the Fighting Fantasy series: Firetop Mountain,Citadel of Chaos, and Deathtrap Dungeon. For one, the combat system is more streamlined and faster, but less interactive.

Initially, a master tasks Lone Wolf with lighting a signal beacon, and there isn't much deviation. But after that, and especially after getting out of the fortress, there are many choices. A flowchart of the possible story flow is at projectaon. Still, initially, there is a lot of reading at the start without much interaction.

If you like these adventure books, you'll like this one. I liked the inspired chaos of Zombocalypse Now, slightly more, but I do enjoy the adventures of Kai enough to recommend it.
on September 10, 2011
Awesome re-creation of the book - no pencil or eraser needed! If you were ever a fan of "Choose Your Own Adventures" you will love this. Note that it's text-heavy, but I like it like that. A lot of the random number picks are in-built seamlessly and you won't even notice them - except when you lose Endurance Points ;)

No it's not the same as the very first original book (which still sits somewhere on my shelves), but rather the Collector's Edition. It almost felt like an entirely new book -- that's not a bad thing! It was still great fun.

I absolutely cannot WAIT for the next book - Fire on the Water - I'd preorder it if I could!

Good work Worldweaver - I'm a big fan of this & your Fighting Fantasy books - please keep the releases coming!
on September 6, 2011
I first read this book over 25 years ago as a kid; perhaps the best "choose your own adventure" series around. I'm glad to see it's still alive and kickin'.
on September 6, 2011
I fondly remember playing these game books when I was younger, so I couldn't wait for the Lone Wolf series on the Kindle. It is far and away the most streamlined way to experience these books. Your stats and inventory are easy to manage and the battle system is immersive and intense. The whole series is available online for free, but for $4 you can't beat the integrated system. If you are new to the series, try them out online then come back for this. If you are a veteran, don't hesitate to pick this up now...it is the definitive version. Can't wait to see more in the series; there are 27 more books to come...hopefully!
on September 19, 2011
I was envious that the new updated books were hard to be purchased where I am. Nevertheless, I was quite happy to see the version available on Kindle. What I did not realise was that this book is an 'active content' product. It was fun to see that there is no difference between the game book style and this digital version, save the mission page numbers and the physical flipping! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole adventure since it has been expanded and the new artist captures the essence of the story nicely. Just a small minor irritation for me: the throwing of the dice could be more 'participative', rather than pressing the 'next' button and voila, it's already been chosen for me. Besides that nagging bit, everything was perfect! I plan to get the rest of the series on this format! :)
on March 23, 2013
This book seems well written, with a decent inventory system and a fairly wide variety of path choices. I was extremely disappointing to realize it only takes a couple hours to complete. This may be simply because it is the first book in the series, but at four dollars a book I'm not going to give the second book a shot.

On a side note there was an strange area of the book where you are attempting to wind your way through the crowded metropolis to the palace. You have many choices of streets to choose from and businesses to go into, but very little to go off of to make these decisions. Sometimes it is as little information as street names. There is only one way to get to the palace through this maze of guess work and all other ways lead to your character dying. And that's not dying in multiple different ways either. All other paths lead to your character walking down a street, turning down an alley, climbing some stairs on to the rooftops, roof hopping your way to the palace and falling to your death just before you get there. All without one single input from the user. Shameful. Walk down a street, fall off a rooftop; exit a building, fall off a rooftop; say hi to a friend, fall off a rooftop.
on November 8, 2012
I really enjoyed this on my Kindle Keyboard (even if moving through the menus could occasionally be an exercise in patience). I have been a huge fan of the Lone Wolf books for years, so having access to them on my new e-reader was glorious! Unfortunately, I've passed the KK on to my husband and gotten a new Paperwhite and the adventures are not available for that platform. Since they DID work on the Touch, I'm hoping it's just a small update away. I look forward to seeing and purchasing more of these if they do update for the new platform.

Edited to add: Worldweaver has updated this app for the Paperwhite! Fantastic job and everything works just as well as it did on the Touch! updated my rating to 5 stars and edited the title as well!
on August 3, 2015
I would have bought this had my supposedly top-of-the-line Kindle Voyage supported it. Oh well, I'll settle for getting the free version online (don't worry, it's perfectly legal: http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home).
on February 3, 2013
I was very excited to try this and it didn't disappoint. Lone Wolf is without question the best game-book series ever created, and now a new generation can experience it on kindle. The story and world are fantastic. Only had a minor problem with the inventory system, but other than that, a great story, and experience on kindle.
on March 4, 2012
This brought back great memories. I still have the original books on my bookshelf and I am glad to say it contains all the fun solo RPG action in a choose your own adventure style. In addition there is more to the story than what was originally in the books, which according to an article I read, was actually penned by Joe Dever.

The good:
- Fun story
- No more random pencil wavings in the back of book during combat
- Inventory without carrying a separate notebook

The bad:
- Slow refresh rate (maybe because it is a 2G kindle) makes inventory and combat a bit painful
- Easy to forget to save