Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kidz Bop All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on March 19, 2013
Anytime that you can consistently be nominated for an academy award, you are certainly doing something right. Washington has been nominated many times and he has won twice. It goes without saying that he is one of the best actors working today.

I am of the opinion that characters who seem to have it all, a successful career, charisma, looks, etc. who succomb to drugs and alcoholism, are particularly impressive to the public and the academy. A long time ago, I watched the movie "The Days of Wine and Roses" and Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick received accolades for playing a couple destroyed by alcohol.

The scene is set in "Flight" in the very first scene when Washington is shown, doing cocaine and alcohol with a stewardess, she is later killed in the movie, before he has to go on a fairly routine flight from Florida to Georgia. At first, Washington is hailed as a hero for landing a plane that was flawed and it is mentioned that no other pilot could have done this. However, when an investigation indicates that he had drugs and alcohol in his system while flying the aircraft, the end result is that he ends up in jail for at least five years. He actually admitted to the fact that he had coke and alcohol in his system at the time.

I thought that Tamara Tunie was good as a surviving stewardess, and I wish that Garcelle Beauvais had been in the film for more than one scene. Don Cheadle is a great actor but I think that he was miscast as the attorney for Washington character. The greatest supporting character was John Goodman who was the supplier for Washington and who actually saved his life. Goodman was hilarious. I am not familiar with the man who played the co-pilot but he did well as the moral conscious of the movie who knew that Washington was drunk during the flight and the co-pilot is now going to ruined for life and blames Washington (not the fact that the plane was flawed).

Many stories are written about people who's downfall is within themselves. It is known as hubris and most of us are existing with it. This portrayal is one of the better ones in recent years and is truly brought to light by a great actor, Denzel Washington. However, I do believe that like a lot of great actors, Washington is playing himself more in movies than playing the character. John Wayne and many others became so comfortable playing themselves that they are hardly to be considered acting anymore. Unfortunately, Denzel is falling into that category as well but if you like him as an actor, you will certainly enjoy this film. It is well written but not suspenseful because you can pretty much tell what the end result will be.
on February 22, 2015
It is a little hard for me to rate this because I think Denzel's performance was excellent and I don't want my review to take away from that but I was a little disappointed in the movie itself. There were exciting moments but I found that most of the movie was negative and predictable and while I am glad I did see it and was able to enjoy the talent of the actors I can't say that the movie was the 5 star quality I was hoping for.
on March 16, 2013
I was thoroughly surprised by "Flight".

I thought it was going to be a movie about a plane crash and its repercussions. But this is the backstory for a movie about redemption and grace. We see three characters who are addicted to substances. One unfortunately, never gets the chance to recover, however in her final act of saving a passenger from dying, did something magnificent. Another, has the courage to tackle it head on, acknowledge her weakness and seek help. And then we have the third, played by Denzel Washington. For the majority of the movie he refuses to accept his addiction even though he is powerless to stop its grip on him.

Some tremendous acting by Denzel and Kelly Reilly. An outstanding support cast. Even Melissa Leo's fleeting appearance at the end was powerful in her compassion for Denzel when he finally admits his struggle. She sees a broken man, but one who's courageous act in admitting his addiction is able to start the "flight" to freedom.

Very powerful. And I'd encourage you to watch it.
Top Contributor: Cookingon November 18, 2017
I really liked this movie. Unexpected ending. Denzel is an exceptional actor. He makes stories come alive and this one was no exception.
on September 25, 2015
If there were more than 5 stars I would give max. Very underestimated movie. All of the cast superb, each played their roles unbelievably well with top notch realistic focus. This should be up in the top 5 movies for Washington, as usual he is a commanding force in all of his efforts to become the role. The funny parts of this movie are slipped in with such actuality it takes you off guard. Best movie I've seen in years. I have already watched it 3 times which is rare for me. Every actor deserves the best reviews for their parts. The movie did what all should do, take you right into the scene and story and you can't believe it is ending so soon.
on February 12, 2013
Right up until the very end of the film, I never really bought into what the director was trying to say as I guess I simply wasn't expecting the story line and the direction director Robert Zemeckis was taking us. It makes me wonder what dark secrets are hiding in Zemeckis' and/or star/producer Denzel Washington's closet that they felt compelled to make this film.

I was a little disappointed in this film because it wasn't what I thought it would be. As a film that showed a man descending toward his own "bottom", still unwilling to accept his addictions even after a plane he pilots crashes and kills 4 people, I found it difficult to identify with the Denzel Washington character. This is more unusual than one would imagine, as I am in recovery for 16 years myself and have heard many different stories of despair and salvation in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous.

Perhaps it was simply because I had never met a commercial airline pilot in recovery, or perhaps it was because I had long ago accepted that sobriety comes only to those who want it, but in all honesty for over 2 hours I couldn't figure out what Zemeckis was trying to say with the film. In retrospect, I now do and can appreciate the message much better.

As far as films about addiction and recovery are concerned, I was much more affected by the 1988 film "Clean and Sober", but Washington's performance here is excellent.

Chuck
[...]
[...]
on June 17, 2013
Stories of alcoholics and other addicts have been a fertile ground for melodrama in cinema for a long time. The success of a film that relies on the protagonist's addiction for its conflict rests on two key elements: the characterization of the addict and the believably of the accompanying melodrama. Flight succeeds brilliantly in the characterization of Whip Whitaker's struggle. Denzel Washington gives one of the best and most varied performances of his career, and the writers and director deserve tremendous credit for creating a complicated character that gave Washington so many opportunities to exercise his craft. Unfortunately, the characters surrounding Whitaker are barely drawn. An extremely talented supporting cast struggles to give them life, only Bruce Greenwood, playing Whitaker's old Navy buddy and union representative, manages to present a character with any depth. While this would usually be a large problem, this is Whitaker's story and Washington's presence in nearly every scene keeps the movie compelling. While ultimately falling short of delivering the definitive film on addiction, Washington and the writers may delivered the screen's most fully realized addict.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Denzel, plays a great part as a drunk .The movie is very well written. Flight is a movie that you wil really like. The movie shows how bad Alcohol can destroy your Life.
on April 14, 2014
Yes, I know not everyone takes there job seriously but really....
Denzel did an excellent job in showing that we all make mistakes but hey(!) learn from the already....ok?!?!
Great casting (John G nailed his part too) and the storyline is perfect.
Without giving anything away (just RENT it!) it really makes you want to take a peek into that cockpit before departure!
on November 28, 2013
When I first heard of this movie, I thought Denzel was going to provide some action in a flight movie. Worth watching. I was blown away at the message in this movie. It's hard playing an addict for any actor. The reason is, they have to really understand the underlying issues in order to pull it off on screen. Denzel does this and more. The writers really had a direction with this movie and I really love how they put it together in the end.

This movie does have a great action seen with a large passenger jet flying inverted to a crash landing, but the movie is much more than that. It's about an addict who finally realizes that his actions (while using) do not only effect himself, but everyone around him he is responsible for.