Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 23, 2010
I have several nice cameras and camcorders but anytime I ask my wife to take a picture, I have to go through a minor training program explaining what this is and what that is. By the time I get it all explained, the photo opportunity is usually lost. I have given up buying her cameras since even the simplest ones seem to baffle her.

I have a smart and very high tech friend, who has many excellent cameras, but often uses a Flip Ultra and loves it. When Amazon offered the Mino HD as the "Deal of the Day", I read a few reviews and went for it. I frankly find it to be an amazing and unique piece of equipment. In this day of cramming more and more features into smaller and smaller packages, Flip has taken the "Keep it Simple" route and I applaud them for that. There is no choice of several video formats, just the one that many of us consider the best. There is no separate still image feature but the software allows you to grab stills of pretty good quality quite easily. Essentially, there is one button to turn the unit on, one button to extend the USB connection, and a large red button to begin and end recording. There is no memory card and no battery, instead, an internal battery and built in memory that will give you two hours of HD recording. It has an image stabilization system, probably electronic that does fine. The LCD screen is beautiful and adequate in size.

In short, this is exactly what I wanted for my wife, something that turns on, takes videos, and turns off. The videos viewed full screen are very good. The sound is excellent. This camera is exactly what it was meant to be, fast into action and good HD quality with good sound. Videos are simple to get on the computer and play beautifully.

The Flip software loads right from the camera, no disc to keep track of. As soon as I loaded it, I was offered a chance to update the software and did. One of the new features allowed me to import my contact list for email. The email program, for the most part, is excellent, but more on that in a minute.

The software is excellent and very intuitive. You can shorten videos from either end and save the new video separately or replace the original one in your camera. You can take stills from the videos with the click of one button. A couple of times my videos were a little jerky, causing a dialogue box to appear that said something like,...."You seem to be having trouble playing your video from the camera. We suggest saving it to your computer and playing the saved copy" That was a one click operation and worked perfectly. I have tried stills, shortening, etc, everything except making a movie. I'm sure that will be easy.

emailing is a snap. All you do is click the email symbol. It lets you drag and drop any video or still and emails them easily. There is no sizing or changing of anything required. I love this feature! Although the emails do not appear in your sent mail file, the Flip software has it's own sent mail file. You can always find what you sent to someone.

So, why not give this Mino HD five stars? It is what it claims to be and it exceeds my expectations. I'd love to give it five stars but I find that the emailing feature, one of my favorites, is mishandled by Flip, at least in my opinion. The person receiving the email will feel that is has been sent by Flip,...and there are ads and invitations to click on this or that for more. It is very easy for the email recipient to find himself in the Flip store with many items offered for sale. Really now, Flip, should you attach your ads to what you call privately shared email? I don't think so. We all get enough spam without it being attached to our personal email.

Anyone wanting something small enough to have with them and simple to operate will love this Mino HD. I'll probably check back after my wife tries it Christmas day. I'm betting she'll love it.

Flip, if you see this, please consider changing your email presentation. You really don't need that with the excellent products you have. It wouldn't surprise me if people found your email ads more offensive than enlightening.

Jack
on October 10, 2015
I ordered this thinking I would get a lot of use out of it, but didn't use it nearly as often as I'd planned. I got one good video out of it when I was apartment hunting for a family member. I put it on to charge a few days ago (after a long period of non-use) and tried to use it today. No response. I had purchased the wall adapter so I could charge away from my PC. I plugged it into that again, thinking maybe the battery drained really quickly after so much dormancy. Still nothing. When I push the power button, nothing happens. I cannot get any response from this piece of crap. Would not buy another Flip product. This one is going in the trash.
on May 12, 2014
I was soo happy to buy this even though I knew it was going to be discontinued, but then it just had all sorts of issues.
I thought it would be a simple user friendly little video camera... charge it up, turn it on, shoot a video, plug it into the computer, two clicks to transfer to my mac, quick edit in iMovie & done... not so much
it doesn't always charge.
I can't get it to turn on now no matter what I do.
Some time you have to do this reboot thing with a paperclip... what?!...
I had to import the video to iCamera before I could edit in iMovie... very time consuming...
there isn't anyone to help you I cried on the phone to manny people.

I'd just sell it on ebay (admitting it's a paper weight) for $5, maybe some camera nerd could McGyver it or use it for parts, except that I can't turn it on to wipe it clean & I don't remember what's on it... so it's sledge hammer city for my flip cam :-(
on March 11, 2011
Bought this when it was a gold box deal. Great purchase. I teach children with Autism and I use this to record video clips of how to complete various tasks (video modeling). I then transfer the video clips to each student's iPad so that they can easily watch, then imitate the modeled action. I'm probably in the minority in terms of what I do with the camera, but everyone will likely appreciate the features of the camera. It sets up and starts up quickly. Recording is as simple as pressing a button. You can delete unwanted recordings right on the camera and transferring recordings is an easy process. The battery holds a reasonable charge and recharging is easily done via USB port. I'd recommend this to others.
on July 28, 2013
I bought this camera through Amazon Warehouse Deal the beginning of the year for a great price! I used it for a few weeks, it recorded HD just great, easy to use, easy to download, easy to create video for YouTube. Tobe fair, I guess I got my $60 some use out of it. Then I put it away and took it out after several month. Unable to charge it, went to online instructions, tried reset button, and every option I could find online. Still does not charge. The company does not make these anymore, so you are being left without any customer support from Cisco, no warranty, nothing. Please consider carefully whether you want to purchase a discontinued product and a camera type that is not being made at all anymore. I am reading online there a lot of people have experienced similar problems.
on July 21, 2012
I was always interested in owning a Flip camera. This seemed to be the cheapest of the models, and it was the perfect size for travel and for quick video shooting. The box was pretty beat up though, which concerned me a bit, not sure why the seller gave me a used box for a new item, but otherwise the camera was brand new (along with the accessories) I love this Flip camera! Very handy, easy setup, ready to use in minutes and since it has 4GB internal memory, it's ready to shoot video out of the box, no need to buy a SD card. The video quality is very good for 720p, it's not so great in dark conditions but every camcorder out there has trouble shooting in the dark. Outdoor shooting is very nice, nice colors and clear quality. Flipshare is a nice program, I did have trouble in the beginning of using Flipshare since it wouldn't create movies or save them, I called up Flip support and the guy helped me through the process of fixing it, so flip support is nice. Overall, it's a very nice camercorder for the price, good video quality, good audio quality, and the reason I gave it 4 stars is because the focus is fixed focus, and there's no way to make it auto focus or nothing like that, so if you want close up shots the focus is pretty bad. I recommend this camcorder!
on December 6, 2011
I realize that this product has been discontinued by Cisco and have read here in the reviews that they will stop supporting it as of 12/31/2013 (2 yrs from now). Even though I understand that eventually this product will no longer be supported, for the discounted price that it is currently being sold for, I feel like it's the best product available today.

The main strengths are:
- 720p HD Video
- Flipshare, which makes it easy to post videos online (YouTube, Facebook, etc.)
- Image stabilization. I can't stress enough how important this feature is and to get an inexpensive HD camera with this built in is phenomenal.
- Size. This thing is a lot smaller than I imagined. It's smaller than my HTC Evo phone and even a bit smaller (narrower) than my iPod Touch, so it's easily pocketable. I feel like I could carry it anywhere.

Weaknesses:
- Since it's so pocketable, you would think there'd be a lens cover or something to prevent you from smudging or scratching the lens in your pocket, but unfortunately, there isn't. I will have to research carrying cases for this to ensure that I don't damage the lens.
- No ability to expand memory with an SD card, so you're limited to the on-board memory size. There are a lot of cameras with an SD card slot, so if you think you'll be recording more often, it might be worth paying the extra money to buy a different camera.
- No 1080p video

This camera, at the price is a good option, but if I were going to buy something to use more frequently or outdoors/underwater, I'd probably buy the Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof camera (2nd generation).
on September 8, 2011
I just received my order and I must say that I am disappointed in the condition of the product box. It appears as if it has been knocking around on some store shelf or in some dirty warehouse for a couple of years. All of the edges/corners on the box are either worn or even dented, the box is filthy, and there was a price tag or something on the front that was removed but only partially. Fortunately, it appears the factory seals are intact, but otherwise, if I had wanted to give this to anyone as a gift, I couldn't. Really disappointing... doesn't look new, although the factory seals give me hope. I will post an update once I get the box opened and let you all know whether the condition of the box translated into a damaged camera. I'll also post some photos.

UPDATE... later the same day: So I opened the product box the factory seals appeared fine, and I have no reason to believe they weren't fine). However, after nearly several hours of "charging" it is holding no charge whatsoever. I can't tell if this is a problem with this individual unit because of the abuse the box obviously took before being shipped by Amazon, or if it's just a problem with this model of Flip. I'm returning this today. Major disappointment... not just in Flip (I have purchased 2 other Flips, different models and generations, and have never had these issues), but in Amazon for sending such a beat up product as "new." (Sure, Amazon isn't selling this, but they are fulfilling for the seller in this case, and are allowing a beat up box to go out for "new." So it is an Amazon issue, in my opinion.)
review image review image
I've owned at least one of almost every model Flip camcorder since they came out, and I've been very happy with all of them. This one's the best I've used - I bought a couple of them to bring along on a trip I took with other people. The ease of the camcorder meant I could let people (including kids) borrow them and take footage where they liked and when they liked, and it all ended up at good quality.

The video is slightly better than the last generation Mino, and the stabilization is a very nice feature, that improves the quality slightly but noticeably. I have better camcorders, that take better video and have more options. None is as simple as the Flip. Just turn it on, point, and shoot. Then when you're ready, you can trim and upload the footage using the included software, or you can drag the video files into whatever editing program you like (e.g. Windows Movie Maker on Windows or iMovie on a Mac). Some would say that with video capabilities on smart phones these are obsolete - and maybe that's what Cisco thinks and why they decided to discontinue the line. I disagree - since there's something nice about a very simple, dedicated device. Plus, the video quality on this camera easily matches or exceeds that on any phone I've tried, but the sound is superior here.

There's no zoom here - apart from the digital zoom that cuts down on quality. So the thing you have to think with the Flip is that your body is the zoom. You move in closer if you want to zoom. That means that the Flip is best at capturing reality you're a part of, rather than situations you're standing apart from. A party, a gathering of friends, a walk, a baby's first steps, a child's first day at school. Those are the kind of things you might not be ready for with a tripod and a camcorder - and if you pull those out some of the intimacy is lost. You pull one of these out and nothing changes, you're still in the situation, and you can capture it with ease. I'm sad that the Flip line is dying, but that does mean that the price is right for those who get them before they're gone. (At least, right now the price is quite a bit lower than what I paid for this model when it first came out).
on April 13, 2011
I had received an "alert" email from Amazon regarding this item as being "on sale". I had never even heard of the Mino before, only the Ultra. I read most of the reviews, good - bad - indifferent, and decided what the heck. I was packing up for a trip to Death Valley and decided to go ahead and get it. I did not use it as much as I should have but I was NOT disappointed in the video that I got with it. Or the stills I was able to take from the video.

Some complain about the narrow field of view, I like it. I've got two VIO P.O.V.1 units with both the 110 and 70 degree camera heads and for most of my situations the 110 is WAY too wide so I use the 70 much more. I liked the narrower fov because, even in the expanses of Death Valley, I was able to focus on my subject and not unnecessary surroundings.

I've had this unit less than one month and have already strapped it to an RC car and chased my bitches (5) and queens (3) around the house. Fun stuff! There is no way I could do that with my VIO's or my Sony camcorder. It has recorded (in short segments) my rain/ice/snow/flat tire in the snow trip to Death Valley, Death Valley and my windy return to OrEgon.

I do like the Ultra feature of the removable battery pack, as it's sometimes a pain to get the laptop charged up when you're 80 miles from the nearest pavement. It would be nice to have a replaceable battery pack or a car charger available for the Mino.

I would recommend the Mino to anyone looking for a small, easy to use, video recorder. It would be great for recording children as it's small and would fit easily into a diaper bag, pocket or purse. And with the 60fps recording you can grab some awesome, crystal clear, still photos from the video.

Well, that's my two cents, take it or leave it.