Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 281 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 307 reviews
on March 22, 2012
I bought this over a year ago. It's been in use ever since with a third-generation Flip Mino HD. The adapter is essntially a universal USB charger matched to the power requirements of the Flip camcorders. I thought this migh be an appropriate time to offer up a review.

But I checked out the other reviews first. Boy, this charger doesn't get much respect, does it? Let me take in turn sme of the key criticisms I've heard:

1. The charger isn't compatible with third-generation Flips. Our Flip is third-generation. We have no difficulty getting the charger to work.

2. The charger causes Flips to overheat. Maybe, but we haven't seen that in a year's use.

3. Users should just swap in a new set of batteries rather than recharging. Some Flips don't use batteries that can be swapped out. The Mino HD is one of those.

4. It's better to charge through a USB port on, for instance, a laptop. Have you ever wanted to go to DisneyWorld with your camcorder but without your laptop? We have. A charger like this is needed in travel or field conditions when you might not have a laptop to fall back on.

5. If you're in an airport, the charger requires you to leave your camcorder dangling from an airport outlet where someone might swipe it. OK, this is true. But I don't see how the charger can be blamed for this.

We really haven't had any problems using this charger. However, I prefer not to connect the Flip's swing out USB arm directly to the charger. This is awkward at best. We use a USB extension cable instead.

So long as you pay no more than $12-13, this is a decent buy.
I realized soon after getting my flip HD that I can find so much to shoot that I burn up a battery pack and need to recharge it and that sometimes it's most convenient to recharge it via a wall outlet rather than a computer. Here are some examples,,,

We went on a week long cruise and I had no computer access but I could recharge with this because there were electrical outlets everywhere.

I was shooting a wedding reception for a friend and forgot to recharge before leaving but by the time the wedding was over I grabbed my fully charged unit where I plugged it into the church wall behind a table and I was ready to shoot the full reception without losing any power.

We went to Myrtle Beach and stayed in a friend's condo. No computer there to recharge but I just popped in my camcorder at night before going to sleep and it was always ready to shoot in the morning.

I have even found outlets at the airport (near soda fountains and vending machines) in a pinch.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that my camera runs out of juice easily, it is, instead, that the cameras owner forgets to recharge it as often as I should.

Negatives: Wish this was made so I could just stick my spare battery pack into it rather than having to plug the actual camcorder into it but I suppose most don't have spare battery packs so that is no big deal. However it would be nice if it somehow left open the option to do both so that I could keep shooting while it charges

it is really lightweight and has,so far, worked perfectly for me.
The main benefit of using this power adaptor for your rechargeable Flip Li-ion battery is the speed over the standard USB charging. And it can be a plus if you're traveling without a laptop or access to a computer. I use mine with my new 3rd generation Flip UltraHD without any overheating, as some customers have complained, and this may mean that earlier models had some design flaws.

Pros: quick charging; small size (1 3/4" x 2 1/4" x 3/4" deep); green light to indicate power flow; ease of use; if used on a lower outlet, it doesn't block the other one.

Cons: The Flip plugs in using the USB arm, so it has to hang on the outlet, not the most stable position.

I've learned my lesson about not having enough power back-ups for my devices while I'm traveling, so I bought this one when I ordered the UltraHD. Yes, my UltraHD can take AAA batteries as a back-up; I just prefer to keep my battery pack inside my camera so I don't lose it. Although I don't like my Flip dangling from the power pack, I don't regret my purchase at all.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann
on February 15, 2010
We bought this adapter to use with our son's new Flip Video recorder. The problem is that the power adapter is useless without the specific battery that you also have to buy. Of course the website didn't say anything about buying a battery too when we bought everything.
This product is just the part that plugs into the camera and the outlet. For the money I feel it is a waste. I better solution is to buy a more common recharging system, like Energizer's, that you could not only use for the Flip, but also for anything else in your home that requires AA batteries. In fact, the Energizer system will charge other size batteries, all for less money then the Flip system. To me it's easy. Stay away from the Flip charging system, and get a more common, less costly, and more versital, Energizer (or something like it) system.
I will give Amazon a lot of credit. They not only paid for my shipping back, but refunded my money for the purchase, so I was not out any funds. They did this because the ad was somewhat misleading, and that is why they paid for the shipping back. That's good, responsible business. Thumbs up Amazon. Thank You.
Bert M.
Loudonville, Ohio
on December 15, 2015
BIGGEST PIECE OF GARBAGE! Worked for five minutes and wont charge, led on plug is dim when it was very bright first five min. sadly cant get my money back and it has fried my camera.
on July 16, 2011
I purchased a Flip Video last week and thought it would be wise to have seperate charger as I am not always near my computer and my computer is not always turned on.
I recieved your charger today and I plugged my Flip Camera in to it and now my brand new Flip Camera is DEAD. I used it 2 times this week to test it and make sure it worked properly...which it did so I know it was working before I used your destructive product.
I have never heard of plugging your equiptment in and having it completely fried within seconds.
You are selling a faulty product and you should stop selling it now so that other customers do not experience the same anger and frustration as I have.

The awful product will be returned and you will NOT get my service EVER again. I am furious about this.
on December 31, 2013
This is handy for when you don't want to plug your Flip into your computer, BUT the pivot on the actual prongs makes this very difficult to plug in and stay in. It doesn't always sit right, and I have to mess with it to get it to charge sometimes.
on September 1, 2010
I have about 5 of these types of USB chargers laying around my house from iPods, droids, and other tech that has jumped on the USB charging craze. The kindle has the same type of charger as well. This thing feels like it's going to snap in two when you hold it in your hand. It's made from the cheapest plastic available and forget trying to use it on a wall outlet. You have to turn it upside-down and let the Flip sit on top of it but even then it looks like it's going to peel from the wall or break. This is only useful if you have an additional USB extention cord which I highly recommend getting with the flip cam anyway. You can buy them here on amazon and they're super cheap: USB 2.0 Extension Cable Type A Male to Type A Female 6 ft, Black The price is outragous for what you're getting. Even at a discount I am not satisfied with this mediocre, poorly-thought-out charger.
VINE VOICEon December 16, 2009
The connector's compact size is a plus but you might run into trouble charging your Flip from a wall socket.

The two-prong folding connector works on standard 120v. The Flip connects to the bottom of the charger, which has a light that indicates it is charging. The connector works best with a power strip on a tabletop, so the camcorder's weight isn't hanging from the connector. According to the manual, the connector provides a full charge our Flip UltraHD in 3.5 hours and that matches our experience.

Amazon's special holiday offer included two accessories with the purchase of a Flip UltraHD Camcorder, so I chose this charger and the Flip Tripod for Flip Ultra and Mino Camcorders. I purchased this as my wife's Christmas present but it never made it under the tree. She loves the Flip UltraHD.

It would be better if the prongs pointed in more than one direction. This is a simple, easy-to-carry option when you don't want to use your computer's USB port to recharge the Flip.

Rating: Four stars.
on September 14, 2011
I have not received this charger yet but I have ordered along with an extra battery. I emailed Flip and got the technical specs for it because I wanted to know if it will work overseas with 220 volts and it does. So I thought I would pass this information along.

Power Adapter specs:

Specifications:

·100V -- 240V (90VAC ~260VAC)
·47Hz/63Hz
·Output: DC 5V
.Output Current Range 0 ~ 1A (Max)
.Height: 2.32-inches (59 mm) , Width: 1.88-inches (48 mm), Depth: 0.7-inches (18 mm)
.Weight (without packaging): 1.48 oz (42g)