Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Flip Video Camcorder: 60-Minutes (White) (Disconti..." and save 84% off the $149.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Other Sellers on Amazon
Flip Video Camcorder: 60-Minutes (White) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Simple to use, pocket-sized camcorder with one-touch recording and digital zoom
- Holds 60 minutes of TV-quality video on 1GB of built-in memory; no tapes or additional memory cards required
- Convenient USB arm plugs directly into your computer for easy sharing and archiving
- Built-in software lets you easily e-mail videos, share them on YouTube and Grouper, edit footage, and capture still photos from video
- Watch videos instantly on TV with included cable
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Special offers and product promotions
|Item Dimensions||1.3 x 2.3 x 4.1 inches|
|Item Weight||0.95 pounds|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||300 Pixels|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CMOS|
|Shipping Weight||1.05 pounds|
|Video Capture Format|
|Video Input Format||MPEG-4|
The Flip Video Camcorder is a portable, easy-to-use solution for creating and sharing high-quality home movies. Flip Video is the ideal choice for capturing everyday moments that happen anywhere, and sharing them with family and friends everywhere. The camcorder's built-in software makes saving and sharing memories simple and convenient: email videos, make custom movies, capture still photos from video clips, and upload videos directly to popular sharing sites, including YouTube and Grouper Networks. Flip Video comes with a TV connector cable, wrist strap, soft carrying case, two AA batteries, and an instruction booklet.
From the Manufacturer
Capture the everyday moments that happen anywhere, and share them with family and friends everywhere. Thats the idea behind the new Flip video camcorder. Its portable, simple to use, and amazingly affordable. Shoot anything. Share everything.
Never Miss Another Moment
Flip Videos simple, one-touch recording feature and compact size make it the ideal choice for capturing videos on the go. No bulky gear, charger, or memory card needed.
- Email videos and greeting cards with ease
- Publish directly to YouTube and Grouper
- Organize and archive your videos
Capture Still Photos and Make Custom Movies
With Flip Videos on-board software, you can easily edit video clips, capture still photos from your videos, or create custom movies set to music.
What's in the Box
TV connector cable, soft carrying case, wrist strap, two AA batteries, and instruction booklet
Read about our customers' top-rated camcorders on our review page: Camcorders
Top customer reviews
* Conveniently small size (fits in a shirt pocket).
* Easy to use.
* Easy to just drag movie clip files straight over to hard drive (they are stored in the DCIM folder sequentially).
* Movie files in the AVI format (but see Con comment about codec below).
* Easy enough to delete clips you don't want to keep.
* Play straight to TV.
* Seems durable though no protection for lens or playback screen.
* Uses ordinary AA batteries.
* Menu buttons a little hard to press (zoom & volume control)
* USB connector arm bad idea. Should have just been a USB socket. Never matches up with the USB socket on any computer or laptop so you have to get an extension cable anyway which can be difficult to connect without breaking the arm off.
* Uses DivX codec (technically 3ivx, Wiki the difference if you really want to know) which means having to install one of a variety of 3rd party plug-ins. Would have been nice if they could have used H.264 but using 3ivx probably helps keep the cost down by using a less powerful chip.
* Included software was a hack job, UI is terrible.
* Silly proprietary interface at the top to burn contents to DVD at participating stores. Just a way for water to get in, should have been a memory card slot.
* Included carrying bag just gets lint all over it - don't use it.
* Sound playback level is lost once the unit turns off which means having to turn the sound down every time you turn it on.
If you really want to record some video to edit on your computer but don't want to shell out hundreds for a digital video camera, this is a worthy alternative. Go ahead and get the 1 GB version (1 hour) since there is no memory card slot or upgrade path. After installing a DivX plugin on your computer, you should have no problem editing the clips in your favorite movie editing program like iMovie. I had to install a plugin on both my Intel MacBookPro and Dell 8600 Windows XP (SP2).
Accept that you are going to have to purchase a short USB extension cable unless your USB ports are on the side and the extension arm lines-up perfectly (i.e. the computer doesn't put any weight on the arm). Even a short 3 ft cable like Cables To Go 19003 3-Feet USB A/A Extension Cable will do. The kind you need is a USB A socket on one end and USB A plug on the other (if you can connect the cable ends to themselves and make a hoop you probably have the correct one).
This is a great first try but there is lots of room for improvement like replacing the connector arm with a USB socket, ditching the DVD burning interface for a memory card slot and making the menu UI buttons easier to push.
The good: 1. The convenient the pull-out arm means no missing USB connector when you need it. 2. Good image and sound when camera is plugged into composite inputs on a TV set (admittedly lousy audio from the camera itself). 3. The company is so determined to make things easy, the camera comes with batteries installed. Such attention to user-friendliness characterizes everything about this camera and its save and edit program. You can send low-res clips over e-mail, save hi-res clips to your computer, select snap-shots with a simple click and then drag them as Jpegs to iPhoto (I'm using a Mac). Edit movies in iPhoto or use Flip's editing program, which is similar to that of Roxio Toast (permits trimming the beginning and end of a scene). 4. On a Macbook a 30-minute film opened on the desktop in 30 seconds. Saving it to a higher resolution required 2 minutes. 5. The lens is capable of capturing viewable images even in near-dark conditions.
Things to be careful about: 1. The zoom lens button is so close to the start and stop trigger that it's quite easy to activate the unintended feature (compose your shot, then forget the zoom). 2. The lightness of the camera makes it very susceptible to camera shake. (Keep your shots short and resist the temptation to zoom in and out.) 3. There is no viewfinder and the camera's screen washes out when shooting outside in bright conditions. 4. The delete button is so accessible that a 2-year-old can lose all your footage with two clicks (it was poor judgment on my part to let her play with the camera). 5. Very few instructions come with the camera, but they're not needed. Flip dumbs it down to practically any point and shooter's level.
Which Flip? There are some demonstrations comparing this Flip with the newer model (Ultra Flip) on Youtube. It soon becomes clear that there is no improvement in image quality when using the newer, more expensive model. And since I have little interest in editing and have an accessible laptop, I figured that 30 minutes would be all the time I would require from the camera. If you choose your shots resourcefully, half an hour is enough to capture an entire wedding--from ceremony through reception. Think like Hitchcock--keep the shots short in duration and make them count.