Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 17, 2010
Land-line telephones were around for decades and that gave generations of women advice to pass down or to share with their friends on how to handle guys on the phone. But this is really the first generation that must deal with flirting without tone of voice as a guide. That's where this book is the bible of texting with a flirtatious slant. I read this in an afternoon and it opened my eyes to all the mistakes girls make and how to fix those mistakes. Will be recommending this book to every girl who wonders "why doesn't he text me"" or "why did he stop texting me?" Great Advice!
on March 30, 2011
This is an excellent book for teen girls because texting is usually the first step for them prior to dating/flirting these days. They should learn early how to hold up their own against guys or young men who might try to "control" them in some way, now or in the future. Have your daughter control her destiny. Parents must admit some kids are "addicted" to texting or online chat these days... I suggest learning from this book & monitor/limit their phone/online time so they can concentrate on studies & other school/sports activities.
on June 7, 2012
Here's this book in a nutshell: two twentysomething Valley Girls read He's Just Not That Into You (Other than a paragraph-long "Ode" early on, there's really not that much of The Rules here), and decided to write a book of texting advice as an adjoinder. After illustrations and photos of the two authors, there's about 80 pages of advice on how to write Diablo Cody-esque texts and time them so that you don't look desperate.

Authors Olivia Baniuszewicz and Debra Goldstein appear to miss what made their precursors big sellers. I would argue that the real triumph of The Rules and He's Just Not That Into You lied not in the ideas, but in the rhetoric. It wasn't just that they were advocating that women merely play coy, but that their advice was delivered in a black and white, yes-or-no fashion. Flirtexting lays out different scenarios and what you might your message might suggest to a potential suitor based on the time you send it, but ultimately leave the final call up to you. It comes off as more of a showcase for the authors to show off their superior texting skills, rather than a real roadmap for snagging the man of your dreams. One might come away more confused (as I did) rather than informed by the advice. Books like The Rules and He's Just Not That Into You are read by insecure women of all kinds looking for straightforward answers, not by alpha females looking to be wittier.

Baniuszewicz and Goldstein may be living the life they dreamed about watching "Sex and the City" in high school and college (and thus, envied by many young women), but that's hardly a gauge as to whether or not you can give good dating advice. I'm no fan of The Rules, but anyone who's read that book can tell you that it's written from the perspective of reformed doormats. The Rules and its sequels utilize social proof and cautionary tales to drive their point home. These girls have no life experience, or at least not the kind that can offer enlightened dating advice. Early on, they advise readers against coming across as "Fast-Track Jane", the woman desperate to find Mr. Right, but they don't explain what the consequences might be if they do. They don't give any indication that they've experienced real heartbreak, and it ends up coming off as less tough love, more mean girl. On the other hand, the authors appear to take The Rules at face value (i.e. a game), as they define The Rules as "playing hard to get...to get what you want", and that might even be because of a lack of life experience.

Again, I'm not a fan of the "hard-to-get", tough love approach to dating advice. However, if you're looking for a book of texting advice along those lines, Vanessa Taylor's Kindle-only Text. Love. Power. is a more worthwhile read. It's straightforward, no filler, and it offers clear-cut guidelines of when it is and isn't appropriate to text. Not recommended to anyone who is old enough to legally buy a drink.
on November 8, 2015
Cool book, give many ideas. Since I'm a foreign it helps a lot to understand and knowing how to "play the game" with this complicated gringos
on September 14, 2010
This book is funny and offers helpful tips to flirtexting. Some of the advice is a little off the wall but it reminds women to hold back and control our emotions. After reading this book and taking some of their adivce I always have someone texting me. It teaches you how to be in control and empowers you to say and flirt with in the correct time frame. As a single girl I love hearing dating advice and I think this book was very helpful!
on September 10, 2010
Wasn't impressed with this book, they just shared common knowledge and common sense...really learned nothing new.
on September 5, 2011
While I can't relate to a lot of things that these skinny little popular girls said there was a lot I did learn. The hardest part is following through. I've read the book and tried some tips and will be re-reading it again as it is a good spin on our modern dating.
on February 23, 2011
This book was horrible and I only gave it one star because when I left the stars blank, Amazon would not let me post my review. The pages are cut thick to take up space and the few pages in the book have empty content. If you want to take time reading a book about how texting became popular, why it's all the rage and how okay it is to text when trying to get with a dude, this is the book for you. I was under the impression this was a guide to help you shoot back savvy replies when you are so lost on what to say to a guy you really like over the phone. We have all had those moments. Do we text? Is it too soon? How do I reply to what he said and how long do I wait? What does he mean by that text? Sure, we would love to hear the answers but this book isnt the place to find it. Save your money!
on May 6, 2013
I really liked this book I thought it was very helpful for texting and it gave really good advice. I would def recommend.
on August 10, 2010
I love the quick wit of the authors. I think it's a must have for any girl entering the new age in dating. LUV IT!!!! I take it on the go with me...fits well in my purse.