Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 198 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 247 reviews
on July 2, 2012
Two part film, that was 1st released as two separate features. Terrific telling of a complex story of intertwined farming families in rural France in the early part of the 20th century.

The acting is mostly of the highest order. Yves Montand, one of the most suave men in history is completely believable as a rough hewn, self-centered farmer, Gerard Depardieu, also cast against type, as a gentle, educated city born man trying to make it as a farmer also is astounding. Almost as good is Daniel Auteuil as Montand's not-very-bright son.

Only Emmanuelle Beart, gorgeous though she may be, doesn't quite convince me as the wild woman of the fields. Some of it is performance, some of it is how perfect she looks.

The story is wonderful in a Dickensian sort of way, with clues and character elements showing up early, only to pay off three hours later. I love the first part even more, somehow it feels more truly tragic and dense, the 2nd part just a bit too neat by the end. But still a grand, intelligent, great looking entertainment.
on July 2, 2012

on May 10, 2011
This film is a wonderful story of greed, fate and survival set in Provence, France. The film, Jean de Florette and the sequel, Manon of the Spring will be sure to captivate you from beginning to end.

The films have such a stellar French cast: Yves Montand, Gerard Depardieu, Daniel Auteuil and Emmanuelle Beart.

The first film is the story of Jean Cadoret (Gerard Depardieu) who inherits a farm in Provence from his mother. He is, however, unaware that his neighbor, Cesar Doubeyran (Yves Montand) covets his farm for his godson (Daniel Auteuil) and plots to steal it from him no matter the cost.

Manon of the Spring picks up the story 10 years later with Jean Cadoret's daughter (Emmanuelle Beart) realizing that Cesar was directly responsible for her father's death and then plots her revenge.

This film is not just for lovers of French films. The film is in French but does have subtitles in English and Spanish. Well worth the price for any film buff!
on November 10, 2013
Are you kidding me! This is one of the best movies out there! My husband put Jean de Florette on first. We were going to go out, but he wanted me to watch this movie first. By the time it was over, I said, "Put on the sequel, quick"! We have enjoyed this double feature so much. And actually, since I am reviewing it now, I am going to put it on today and be a couch potato! You won't be sorry to purchase this wonder.
on August 4, 2017
Even with subtitles (which I usually dislike), this is a great message movie. Simple but very effective.
on April 18, 2017
We know the film well but one copy was for our family in Argentina and when we tried it there it didn't work. I ordered another from USA which went from Kentucky to Florida to Sao Paolo to Santiago Chile and then to Buenos Aires and finally to Bariloche where the
postman demanded another £35. The DVDs cost $13 but the total was£83 for postage! The American DVDs worked OK in Argentina!
on March 22, 2017
I have seen these videos several times before purchasing these. Intriguing story-must watch both videos for full effect
on December 8, 2012
This is the first time I'd ever watched these two together, although they are not new films. I just missed them years ago in the theater showings. What a powerful, funny, sad, and intriguing story. I am so glad I bought them together. Everyone told me you have to get "Manon" or you won't know the ultimate outcome. I usually hate subtitles, but the wonderful cast and sequence of events in this film overcomes the mild irritation of dealing with the subtitles. I'm glad they didn't dub it with different voices.
on May 31, 2017
Great movies. So glad you had them.
on March 21, 2017
Without words! All incredible actors, director, script!!