Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Flower Photography Artistry:
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on November 23, 2010
I have recently purchased two DVD's by Tony Sweet. The first was Tony Sweet's Visual Literacy: Photography Workshop. That two DVD package was very instructive especially the second DVD where he showed some of his photos and talked about what he learned in their taking. I thought that the first DVD about taking pictures in the Smokies dragged quite a bit. There was the opportunity to learn but it was slow going. This very latest DVD is excellent from a learning stand point. I am a fan of his so may be somewhat biased in my review. Last September I was in the San Juans of Colorado and had a fabulous time taking pictures of the Aspens while using Tony's "moving the camera vertically while taking the picture" technique. The pictures I got came out great and the effect is stunning. I learned this from some of his books as well as his DVDs. This latest DVD is about flowers and takes place in Longwood Gardens, PA. Having been there I can appreciate the photo opportunities there. If you like flower pictures and want to improve your technique this DVD is for YOU!! By the way, on this DVD Tony shows you how to get great flower pictures using an Iphone!!! Pretty impressive.
on May 2, 2011
The video had some good tips but it had to much other stuff on it that just made it drag out, like how he edited with photoshop and his gallery. I was not interested it either and expected the video to have more on the tips and techniques used by professionals to take flower photography.
on April 24, 2011
All the time spent on iPhone photography (ugh) was a waste. I wanted to learn flower photography, not how to use a cell phone camera. I have no idea what prompted Sweet to include it.

As another reviewer mentioned, I am weary of watching Sweet make in-camera multiple exposures. That ties the technique to a particular make of camera. This would be properly taught as a Photoshop technique -- the universal tool of serious photographers. Not to mention that one cannot make artistic decisions based on what one sees on that bitty camera LCD.

Sweet has lost me with this dud. There are much better flower photography seminars, books and DVDs available on the subject.
on May 16, 2011
Not a big overall fan of this lastest presentation from Tony Sweet. While I did enjoy learning some new ideas, I found that about 25% of the video was dedicated to reviewing his personal flower portfolio, and 10% dedicated to taking pictures with an iPhone. I suspect he either wanted to show that you do not need a serious camera to begin making your own great pictures, or he was completely out of material to present.

Multiple exposure shots - while I feel it's a great technique to present, it's limited to the upper-end Nikon camera system. It would have been better to include how to proccess these types of shots in software for those who shoot Canon, for example.

Tony is an experienced teacher, and he does do a great job of getting your mind to "think" about the possibilities of image making, but I feel that he came up a bit short on this one.

I'll definitely wait and read the reviews of his next DVD before purchasing.
on August 4, 2011
As a passionate flower photographer, I found this to be a gold mine. The objections about iPhone photography that was included in the video seems to me ludicrous; it was very minimal; plus it is becoming quite important for a lot of people. Having lots of flowers in our yard, I found myself stopping the video over and over again and going out to try out Tony's suggestions.
on April 10, 2011
I have always admired Tony Sweet's imagery, especially his flower shots. There is some very good work in these videos and his style of presentation is easy to listen to. However, I was disappointed that so much time was devoted to using an iPhone which I felt inappropriate, as its not exactly designed for high quality photos.
The second annoyance was with the multiple exposure videos. I think he produces some stunning abstracts, but only showing them created with a Nikon camera limits the value of the tutorials. Nikon has built-in multiple exposure functionality which most makes don't offer. It would have been better for me at least, to have had a tutorial on software processed multiple exposures and less on iPhones!
There are some valuable and useful tips, but for the money, I think it could have been better.
on April 12, 2011
Tony Sweet is definitely the man. I enjoy his fresh, unabashed approach to all of his photographic work. His images are always not only technically on spot, but his emotional range pours out of each and every he photograph he creates. He's taken his "jazz chops" and applied them to photography. Art is art! Tony's videos are a real treat to watch. Once you've seen one, you'll soon own them all. Unlike many videos of this kind, Tony really takes the time to share what's going on both in his mind and with his camera settings. What a tremendous learning tool for those of us looking to grow a body of photographic work we too can be proud of. I'm headed to Big Sur tomorrow to do a 4-day shooting workshop with Mike Mariant (Nikonians.org) that should be fantastic. Thanks Tony....keep those videos and books coming. I'll see you in the Fall in Death Valley for the Sweet/Briot summit/workshop!!
on January 23, 2011
Very much enjoy this DVD about flower photography by Tony Sweet. Tony talks about equipment and technique giving the viewer ideas for their own work. I would encourage anyone who is interested in photographing flowers to purchase this DVD.
on February 15, 2011
I have all of Tony's DVDs and this is the best one yet. In his gentle informal style, he delivers a wealth of information, telling you exactly how he creates his magical flower images. His conversation makes you feel like you are with him one on one. He shares everything (at a fraction of the cost of an on-location workshop). He gives credit to those who have shown him "how to". He seems to endorse certain products, but I trust him having had good results from his advice in the past. I highly recommend this instructive DVD.
on February 8, 2012
Tony is a real practical person.The things he is showing you are what
you will meet in the field.Somebody who is trying to help you make better pictures.

Jan