Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports toystl17_gno

Customer reviews

Style Name: Fluke 179 - TRMS Multimeter w/Backlight & Temp|Change

Showing 1-10 of 114 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 126 reviews
on March 26, 2017
Fluke makes the top-notch meters. Electricians frequently carry them for that reason.

I've purchased meter after meter dating back to the days of the earliest analog models. Unhappily, after a bit of time, they all develop one problem or another. Usually, in my experience, it's a weakness in the control dial. It stops making a clean contact with some of the options and then the meter works only intermittently.

In contrast, the Fluke dial has a very firm feel that is unlikely to be a victim of this problem. Plus, there is no need to push the dial back to the 'off' position when done--- it will turn off automatically when left alone for a short while. So, just leaving the dial at its last position when done with it will turn off the meter. To re-activate it, press the yellow button under the meter display and it will instantly power-up.

This meter may set you back a bit more than one of its many imitators, but the 174's accuracy, durability, and long-life will most likely make that small premium a cost that will soon be forgotten.

A couple of extras to consider that I added to my order:
There are a couple of cases available, I went for this one: Fluke C115 Polyester Soft Carrying Case
Extra fuses may come in handy too: Pack of 2 pieces, DMM-44/100 (DMM 44 100) 440mA (0.4A) 1000V Fluke 943121 Digital multimeter replacement Fuse
on May 8, 2017
I'm thrilled with the build quality of the fluke 179 multimeter. It's a fluke!
The only microbial disappointment is that the fluke 179 doesn't have a "REL" button to zero the leads. However, it's easy enough to do in your head and not a reason to deduct any stars. This meter will likely last me the rest of my life, and hopefully one of my children will inherit it for the rest of their life too. Gee, I wonder if the lifetime warranty is transferable, lol.
on November 30, 2014
Everything it is expected to be. For the price, I expect them to come with way better test leads, but they are just adequate enough. I was also disappointed to find that this model didn't have a backlight, but that was my fault not reading far enough before I bought it. If you are a beginner or just need basics, this is too much meter for you. Fluke sells one for about half the cost that is simpler to operate as well. If you are just doing mostly basic testing, etc, this one is probably a waste of your money. I don't want to make it sound like this meter is OVERLY complicated, because it is not, but the cheaper Fluke is simpler and does the job very well. See Fluke model 117 for example
on January 14, 2013
After struggling with a cheap Radio Shack analog multimeter, I bit the bullet and purchased this Fluke for working on guitar amplifiers. What a world of difference! A good user's manual accompanies the product and it is very intuitive to use. It's given me new confidence in taking measurements as I work. Sturdy rotary dial with positive detents. A tool to keep for life.
on July 27, 2016
I once had a Fluke meter act crazy. I called my boss and told him it would probably need repaired. He argued he's never heard of or seen a Fluke meter not work. I figured out it was simply a weak battery. Replaced the battery and it worked just fine. I ordered this the next day for my home projects.
on April 4, 2017
Its a fluke do I need to say more? It is just a great piece of engineering with great reliabillity. The extra cables are great, tight fit in the supplied case though, have all cables in an extra pouch.
on March 5, 2017
Awesome meter. Fast, durable and reliable. Worth the $$. I am doing an old tube amplifier rebuild and it out performs my old Fluke DMM (ca Y2000).
on April 21, 2013
I use to have a fluke 179, when one day, I somehow lost it. It took me some time to get another one, when I found out that the price have consideribly gone up. So I looked at the specs very carefully, and found this model 177 to be identical except for the temp reading. But I have no need for that feature, so I got this model. Like the model 179, this model is built like a tank, very accurate and reliable. I think everybody knows that if you want the best, fluke is the way to go.
on July 25, 2016
Good meter and Fluke is the best!
on May 15, 2017
The meter works great and was very happy with the order. Would certainly purchase again if ever needed.