Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 87 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 334 reviews
on August 11, 2017
Nate Quinn is a researcher studying the song of the humpback whale. He's feeling discouraged, though, and irrelevant: "...a sack of borrowed atoms lumpily arranged in a Nate shape." Things start to change when, out on the water, he spots the words "Bite me" inscribed on the flukes of a whale he's observing. Determined to prove it was real and not his imagination, Nate decides to dive with the whale to get a photograph of the words. Instead, he finds himself inside the whale. Zanyness ensues.

I've never met a Christopher Moore book I didn't like, and this one is no exception. The characters are likeable and well-developed. The plot is nutty but coherent. It's just a big pile of fun - five stars.
on November 2, 2016
I love this book! I listened to the audio version and it's wonderful. Fabulous writing, awesome dry wit and humor. I listen while driving, and have actually sat in my garage and listened after returning home, because I was excited to know what was going to happen next. I won't spoil it for you by saying anything about the plot -- only that it's a fascinating and totally original story line and extremely well-written. I'm now going to find more books by Christopher Moore.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2011
If you've read Chris Moore's books, and you have liked any other of them, you will most likely enjoy _Fluke_. If you have read _The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal_ and maybe would have liked it except for the Blasphemy thing, you should like _Fluke_. In fact, if you don't like it, you should drop everything and go to the hospital and get a humor and personality transplant.

Moore's still growing on me, mainly because of the comparison I make in my mind. He is, I think, the closet heir to the Vonnegut we have, though distilled in a column of Tom Robbins. The works I have read of him are often uneven, but the more I read, the more I feel the unevenness is a transition from awesome to waiting-for-awesome. I'm somewhat jaded in the realm of fiction, but this guy is the real deal. He has the smarts and the range and the humor and the humanism that make the comparisons unfair because he has a unique and useful style that defy any genre constraints.

But its not perfect. The characters, as here the protagonist Nate Quinn, are sometimes flat. The settings and the action, as here the whale song researchers in Hawaii, are often absurd. But, like the best of them, they create a synthesis that is more than the sum of their parts and should at the same time inspire and intimidate any aspiring writer. I can't say too much about what happens, but I shouldn't. You'll want to find out for yourself.
on December 18, 2016
With one exception, I've thoroughly enjoyed all the stories by Christopher Moore that I've read or listened to. This story has Moore's usual far-out elements, but the information about whales is very interesting and well-presented. I'd recommend it for that alone; the surrounding story is like icing on a cake.
on March 19, 2017
One of the most enormously satisfying books I have ever read. Moore manages to constantly catch the reader off-guard, both with the more humorous moments that come out of nowhere and often result in uncontrollable out-loud laughter, and with the plot that delivers more surprises and curve-balls than a drunk Hall of Fame pitcher. Even if you're not into whales or marine biology, there isn't a boring moment in this book. I promise you, this is worth reading and re-reading.
on January 6, 2013
Having read & enjoyed most of Moore's Books, Fluke was a big departure (to me). Oh, he still has his Cast of hilariously enjoyable Characters, but the tone of this one seemed much more serious. And yet, for me, it is one of his most enjoyable Books. Just not what I expect when I pick up one of his "Works". If you are not already a Moore Fan, this might be a very good place to get acquainted.

Without spoiling anything, it is a rare cetacean, indeed, that calls for Scientists (on Land) to deliver a hot Pastrami on Rye to a singing Whale somewhere out at Sea. And so it goes (in Moore's usual fashion). There is plenty of wackiness to go around in the ping-ponging between "Save the Whales", and "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" on psychedelics.

He's serious & thoughtful about the threats to the Whales. There's no doubt about that, and he's presented them in such an enjoyable way that it just might help us to better understand & push the "message" along. He has something important to get across, and I think he does.

Fluke was not only extraordinarily entertaining and enlightening for me, but it kept me eager to see what would happen next. I just plain liked it, and am a bigger Moore Fan than ever!
on November 24, 2014
This another "stand alone" book by Christopher Moore. His books are books that can be read over and over, and you most times you find something new. This story is about whales, and researcher's into the whales, and one has the words "Bite Me" printed on his tail. It's an interesting story, with a lot of twists and turns.
on October 27, 2011
Fluke is a most unusual novel - the first by Moore that I've read, and chosen primarily, even though out of print and gratefully purchased as a used book, because I love whales. I was hoping the book would be more about whale flukes (tails) than the other meanings which he adds on a separate page at the beginning of the book, such as, "A chance occurrence; an accident". I was not disappointed, although all meanings are probably appropriate for the book.
I was delighted that the setting is in Maui - my favorite of all the Hawaiian Islands that I've visited and therefore, I knew most of the places mentioned. In fact, I've taken a whale watching catamaran out of Lahaina Harbor, and experienced the wonder of humpback whales, many with calves, as they breech and dive in the warm, deep blue waters between Maui and Lanai, we assume for the fun of it. Finding out why the male humpback whale sings is a recurrent theme throughout the book, and while Moore gives some possibilities at the end, no one really knows.
There is abundant humor with plenty of mind-catching ("I never knew that") information that makes the reader not want to put the book down (or your Kindle if you've "progressed" to owning one item instead of a library. And yes, I have one, a birthday gift from my husband who has taken it over ever since it arrived. I still like book markers and turning real pages. Otherwise, how do you know how close you are to the end?)
As a good example of one of Moore's mind-catching statements, he writes on p. 5, "The whale blew again, and they were close enough to catch some of the mist. There was none of the dead fish and massive morning-mouth smell that they would have encountered in Alaska. Humpbacks didn't feed while they were in Hawaii." I knew the later info, but not the former.
This is a delightful book for adults and older teens - 16+ (there are some gory scenes, but not with overdone descriptions, which makes it acceptable to most).
on March 2, 2017
Super fun and witty! I'm a giant Christopher Moore fan, and this book is wonderfully researched with enough sci-fi elements thrown in to keep you fascinated by his world below the ocean!
on March 2, 2017