Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 177 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 292 reviews
on March 2, 2016
I love nothing more than cozying up to a Jennifer Weiner novel. It's the equivalent to a ladies night out without the hangover, and you don't have to get a babysitter. This was my second time reading this so I skimmed a little, but I did the job while I was nursing my son in the dark. If you've read her before you'll recognize the common threads- set on the east coast, something tragic but not all together awful happens, strong female leads, picking up the pieces and rebuilding oneself, etc. I especially enjoyed the Connecticut beach house that Sylvie flees to and fixes up, while also teaching herself how to cook with help of her bff. It actually made me want to start cooking more. Thanks Jennifer!
on August 25, 2011
I found this to be a solid, if not wonderful, story. Sylvie is a far from perfect mother who devotes herself completely to her politician husband while losing herself in the process. Her daughter, Diana, is the most unbelievable of the female protagonists. That she would marry such a sniveling, annoying man is beyond belief. However, maybe Weiner did this so we could believe that she would have a hot and heavy affair even though she had a young son. The younger daughter, Lizzie, is a recovering addict trying to rebuild her life. She meets a very nice man but has no idea how to have a normal relationship. I found her character to be the most hopeful. When Sylvie's husband, Richard, is found out to have had an affair, she has to re-evaluate everything she has been doing her entire adult life. The three women become closer helping each other get through their individual crises. This basically is a story of the three women trying to get back to who they truly are after losing themselves to other things - a marriage, an affair and drugs respectively. I think this is an attempt at a deeper novel than the others and is consequently less fun. It also has more gravitas and for that I enjoyed reading it.
on March 1, 2015
Every woman in the world should read this book. We meet ourselves in more than one of the twists and turns of this plot. Those of us who have children, especially grown children, will understand and identify even more. We have a very successful woman who is educated, beautiful, successful and married to an equally intriguing man--a politician. With two grown daughters, she learns in a most terrible way that her wonderful husband is having an affair with a much younger woman. Because of her dedication, she stands beside him as he admits to his constituents how he has betrayed them. Aware of his betrayal of her, she runs away to a summer house and alone tries to face up to what is happening. She realizes that in her life she has supported her husband 100%, traveling, serving, always meeting his every need or want. Her two daughters--each with her own unique problem, have been sort of shunted aside in her total devotion to her husband. Their coming together and frankly discussing what life has done to each of them is very revealing. The family that was such a picture of public perfection is torn apart and all of the secrets on display. Handling them reveals what each character is really made of. Therein lies the lesson for us all. You MUST read this.
on June 2, 2015
I have read a lot of Jennifer Weiner books - she has made me laugh and cry. This is not her best book. But its still pretty terrific. Its a story of families that go through tough times, fall apart, stand up again and come together.
Sylvie starts of with a lot of promise in life, and ends up as a typical politician's wife. She makes her entire life about being there for him, including getting him breakfast from the buffet so he wont have to wait for his eggs (!!). After a cheating scandal, she chucks that life and retreats to Connecticut to rebuild her life. She learns to cook, starts dating and tries to reconnect with her two daughters - perfect Diana and the lost-her-way-somewhere Lizzie. Both daughters are struggling themselves. Diana is in an unhappy marriage, and Lizzie is trying to beat a painkiller addiction. How all three strong women fight their own battles and reconnect is really what the story is all about. Somehow Sylvie just doesnt shine like other Jennifer Weiner female protagonists. She seems a bit colorless. But the dynamics between all the female members kept me reading. And I did want to know if Lizzie would land on her feet. Happy to know she gets a happy ending.

The story is a bit more 'typical' than her others. It is not as heart-warming and touching as Cannie Shapiro books. Buts its a good read that kept me engaged.
on March 15, 2015
Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner is a great read........kept me entranced for three straight hours of getting acquainted with the two sisters and their parents. Richard is the father, serving in politics and making a definite mistake by making out with his legislative helper........His wife of over 30 years
is decidedly wounded by the TV broadcast that publicizes his infidelity . The girls, who are together as the younger one comes to work in her sister's home with Milo..a very special young boy. Each of the characters has his own game plan........and all together manage to enjoy Thanksgiving together at the family home on the coast. Love and life of the successful doctor daughter and the younger one back from rehab keep the story moving fast........Well worth reading.
on June 12, 2015
I love Jennifer Weiner books and in my opinion, this is one of her best. I can see why some reviewers did not like this book as much as some of her other books, but I thought it was deeper and a much more well-rounded book than some of her others. This is not a simple woman meets man, falls in love story. It's a story about a family and the dynamics in the family as well as the dynamics between romantic partners. The characters have depth and like humans, they have their flaws. For me, the story was believable and like life, it isn't all rainbows and unicorns. It is a good story about personal discovery and growth. This was the first book in a long time that I just didn't want to stop reading. I don't give many books five stars and I really struggled with whether or not this deserved five stars. I'm going to say, it isn't a classic, but I really enjoyed it, so for me, five stars it is.
on August 12, 2016
I was looking for a beachy read on my Kindle, and found this. Read about 20 % of it (no page numbers), and thought it was awfully familiar--another novel about a philandering pol's wife. Yeah, but I didn't remember the characters, nor the language...And then we're in Connecticut with the supermarket scene and Tim. I quit reading (again) there. Must have quit it near this point before, since my Kindle marked it as partially read. There's no good reason to just ho-hum your way through a couple hundred pages of drek. But that's my second-reading (I can't believe I did that! As Weiner would write).
on November 18, 2015
This was my first time reading a book by this author. I enjoyed the book very much. It's a light read, I bought it for traveling. She develops her characters well and you feel like you get to know each one. There's also some humor and
sex to keep the story interesting. After all it is about an affair or two. It also has a nice way of ending the story. Maybe some of her other books are better according to other reviews, I will try those next. I do think she is a good writer. I also chose this book because Sylvie is close to my age & has daughters, that made it relevant to me.
I gave it four stars because she does go back and forth between the characters & that makes it disjointed.
VINE VOICEon August 17, 2010
Once upon a time a young and bright law school student named Sylvie Serfer met handsome and ambitious law student Richard Woodruff. Back then she had opinions and goals of her own. He wanted to be President.

Now decades later, Sylvie has remade herself into the ideal politician's wife. Her job is staying twenty pounds thinner than she was in her twenties and tending to her husband: the senator.

All of their hopes and dreams come crashing down one day when Richard is spotlighted on the news about his extramarital affair with a young woman, his former assistant, for whom he'd obtained a prestigious job at an illustrious law firm.

Suddenly Sylvie and her two daughters, Diana and Lizzie, are drawn into the eye of the hurricane with the philandering husband.

What they each do next makes the story. We follow Sylvie's journey as she tries to figure out what she wants and what will happen next. Her travels take her to a small beach town in Connecticut, to an old family house. There she tries to find herself again--that person she was before she became the woman who took care of Richard Woodruff's needs and ignored her own.

In Philadelphia, daughter Diana is married with a six-year-old child. She's a doctor and on the surface appears to have it all. But underneath, she is increasingly unhappy with her life, her marriage, and the empty places inside. Which makes her ripe for an illicit affair.

Then there's Lizzie, who considers herself the family screw-up. A recovering addict, she struggles daily to stay clean and sober and to find something worthwhile of her own to do with her life.

During the summer following the disgrace, Lizzie moves in with Diana, to help with her nephew Milo and to figure out what she wants to do. She always carries a camera around her neck--some say her penchant for snapping photos is her way of distancing herself from life.

Each of these characters is revealed in alternating chapters that dig a little bit more with each page, until we come to feel as though we know them. Their thoughts, their feelings, and their motivations.

When Sylvie invites her daughters to join her in Connecticut, the timing couldn't be better. Diana and Lizzie have each reached turning points in their lives and need a respite of their own. As they all come together, they gradually begin to find refuge in one another.

I loved Fly Away Home: A Novel, a story of scandal, pain, and the after-effects of tragic events...until the very end, I couldn't be sure what each of the women would decide to do. Each had choices to make and changes to create. Like real life individuals, nothing was simple or predictable, but implicit in the ending moments was the promise or hint that maybe things could work out in some way for each of them; that no matter what they decided, they would all be okay.

Five stars.
on January 16, 2015
I had this book in my Kindle for awhile now, I think I just missed reading it. This is another great book, it's a good read, I took it on vacation and really enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down and finished it this morning. As always it's different than her other books, it has a good pace to it, it exposes you to some politics which I know nothing about, so educational also. The gist of the story is really about family and coming together. It has Jennifer's heart in it (as all her books do). I feel like Jennifer is an old friend, I've been reading her books since the first and she is one of the best! You know you will have an enjoyable read, and get something out of it. And it always has an ending that makes you reflect.
Highly recommend!