Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 1, 2010
My mother is an excellent cook/baker. She can take any cake recipe, mess around with some ingredients, and make it gluten free vegan in a snap. I am not so fortunate. This book gives you the tools you need to be confident in the kitchen. Everything I have baked so far has come out BETTER than expected. The honey corn cake was scrumptious. The standard pie crust was so light and flakey!!! And the earl grey tea cake was super moist! I found myself already playing with her basic structures for cakes and pies to come up with my own creations!

She does call for a lot of oil and a lot of maple syrup, In some of the recipes I used honey instead of syrup, or I substitued honey and brown sugar. And I did not use as much sugar as was called for in any of the recipes simply because I dont like things to be too too sweet. But everything I have made has come out so good! (Check out my customer images!)

I highly recommend this book to anyone suffering from food allergies who also wants to live a vegan lifestyle. So many other books are so dissapointing and require so much altering. This is your stepping stone to future home baking creations! Thank you Jennifer!
review image review image
on February 5, 2010
Here is the email I've sent to Flying Apron, thanking them for this book - which has made me so HAPPY!

I just wanted to put out a HUGE thank you to everyone involved in Flying Apron's cookbook! I'm sure you've heard tons of stories like mine... I've just been diagnosed as gluten intolerant by genetic testing (!) and LOVE breads and pastries. To make matters worse, I've found out I'm having auto immune reactions to dairy, soy and eggs...
I LOVE to cook. I'm pretty fantastic - so I'm told... and I never follow recipes... I can't, they just never come out as good as if I'd just done it with intuition. So, dealing with this new paradigm has been excessively draining and depressing for me. I ordered several allergy-free cookbooks hoping for some inspiration...
Your book is exactly the motivation, and inspiration I was needing! It has everything! I'm throwing out all my other cookbooks, as I can't eat from them anymore... and I only ever used them for ideas anyway... I will be buying copies in the future for all of my gluten/allergy free friends - to be certain!

I just wanted you to know how grateful my family is that we are going to be eating home-cooking again! They'd pretty much tired of steamed veggies and quinoa and I can't wait to make all of the amazing things in your book! Beyond that, your book has really been a psychological boon for me... not just making cooking and eating possible again, but normalizing and even glorifying gluten/allergy free eating. It's fantastic the way everything is so beautifully presented, and thoughtfully formulated. The flavors and varieties expressed in this one little tome are so fantastic! I just REALLY, really appreciate that you've created such delicacies and that you've taken the time to put them in a format that is accessible for people like me! THANK YOU! :) If I'm ever in Seattle, I'll be stopping in, for sure! :) AM
on January 3, 2011
After trying 3 recipes (a cake and 2 frostings), I'm ready to throw this in the trash. I've never trashed a book, so that's saying alot. This is a beautifully put together and photographed cookbook, but, that's where it ends. The advertisments to sell this book are promising and misleading. I agree with the other unsatisfied reviewers about the consistency, taste and false advertising (vegan, tasty and safe gluten alternatives). I was so crushed after attempting and finishing my first cake (chocolate) from this cookbook- supposedly the easiest one, too. It was dry, tasteless, and crumbled to pieces. It wouldn't even stand up or transfer to a plate. I followed the directions exactly and was at a total loss as to what went wrong. I traced and retraced my steps. Finally, I went to Flying Apron's website, thinking they'd have a page set aside for the Cookbook consumers with pointers, tips, advice, special contact info, etc. Nope, nothing. So, I explained my situation and sent it off to their general e-mail. The response didn't answer my questions or address the problem, so I e-mailed back restating my case and asking again for advice. Again, the response came from someone that didn't write or speack english very, nor understood my problem. My impression was that this person does not bake but they decided to answer a baking question. We went back and forth...In the end, they said it was a typo in the cookbook and gave me no advice on how to properly make the recipe. No apology either. I warn you, the photos in the cookbook have to be made either using different ingredients or some type of a different process. I don't see how they can sell a cookbook with errors in the recipes and expect people to be satisfied. I'd like a refund.

Update- I don't know why, but I decided to try two frostings from this cookbook after the disastrous cake. They were to frost a cake from another cookbook. Both frostings had the consistency of soup after following the directions to the letter, and were horribly sweet. I've thought for a while and have a theory or two as to why these don't perform in my kitchen, but appartently do for their bakery and photo shoots. First, I'd like to point out that Flying Apron Bakery admitted to writing some of the recipes in the cookbook incorrectly. Aside from that, the weather could be an issue. Flying Apron is located in the chilly state of Washington- cloudy and raining a good part of the year. Alot of the recipes use alternatives like coconut or palm oil as the base for frostings. When working with these, temperature can be crucial. They may also keep their bakery very cold from air conditioning. I doubt they tried any of these recipes outside of their shop. If you're selling a cookbook to home cooks, it's imperative you test these recipes in a home kitchen, if not several. And since they're working with so many ingredients that are temperature sensitive, they should have tested them in warmer climates. Either that or put a disclaimer about the performance of the recipes being subject to climate and that they have not tried them elsewhere. I live in California and these recipes don't work. I'm not sure if it's because of the climate or because they're using special brands of ingredients or equipment that they are not letting the consumer in on.

All I can say is it has been a waste of time and moeny to try each recipe. This cookbook is worthless and I would never buy a book from Flying Apron ever again.
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2010
This is a good gluten free cookbook that hardly uses starches like tapioca or potato flour. Also, only a few of the bread recipes call for xanthan gum. I have read too much controversial information regarding the use of xanthan gum and personally, it seems to upset our families stomachs. I like that the author uses mainly brown rice flour and chickpea flour for her recipes which make them nutritionally superior to most other gluten free cookbooks I have seen. There is quite a bit of oil called for in most recipes, but you must also factor in the very large quantity of flour used per recipe. Overall, very pleased to have a variety of healthier, vegan, gluten free recipes. And those of you with honey comments, why can't you substitute another liquid sweetener, rather go crazy with the negative comments?
on December 26, 2009
I have been vegan and gluten free for many years now and have literally dreamed of the delectables that this cookbook treasure offers. I can't say that I have a "favorite" because each one is a true gift and incredibly mouthwatering. I have prepared these delicious items for several of my non-vegan friends and family members and they are the first to say that these creations are not to be missed.
Not only are they scrumtious, but they are a visual delight to your dining table.
This author makes these recipes quite user friendly and you can feel the love and joy that she brings to each offering.
I am grateful to this author for creating this healthy and tasty masterpiece.She is our pastry and main dish "Guru"!!
Much Gratitude.
on September 19, 2013
I can not eat gluten, eggs, and now no dairy. I love having a cook book that I can try every recipe with out having to modify it some way for me to eat. I have already tried the blueberry scones (hearty, yummy) and the lemon poppyseed muffins (so good!). It is fun to try using all of the different flours. I have seen most of these ingredients in the grocery store, but didn't know what to do with them so I just stuck with my white rice flour. I can literally taste the quality in the food with these ingredients. I am looking forward to working my way through these recipes!
on March 16, 2012
I purchased this cookbook for myself, in hopes of improving my baking skills. I'm gluten-free, have been for four years now, and have yet to find a cookbook so basic and easy to follow. The recipes have all been delicious and I've tried almost all of them. I host a lot of dinner parties and potlucks with vegan friends and I've had such success with both the baking and cooking recipes. The ingredients are easy to find at the health food store and the regular grocery store. I 100% recommend this cook book to anyone who has to eat gluten-free or vegan, you will be happy with your purchase. I definitely am!
on December 25, 2010
I am NOT vegan but I almost could be with the recipes in this book. I bought the book for the gluten free/dairy free/egg free aspect of it.

I haven't had the book long but I used 1 of the muffin recipes and they were great. Still moist and delicious after 3 days. Most GF baked goods seem to have the texture and taste of rice cakes. These muffins tasted like the muffins/cupcakes that 'normal' people eat. My husband (who eats whatever he wants) really enjoyed the muffins too.

I also made flat bread using the basic bread recipe and it was great.

I can't wait to try more of the recipes. Also has great ideas that can add variety.

Highly recommend for gluten free or vegan cooks.
on August 17, 2013
My wife just made the peach tart (vegan and gluten-free) and it is fantastic. With the first bite I had to moan with pleasure it was so tasty. Subtle varied flavors with each bite. We also have made some muffins and pizza crust that turned out well also. Everything we have made is tasty and fun to eat. Plus the ingredients are reasonably healthy. This book is everything I hoped it would be when we ordered it.
on January 12, 2013
I absolutely adore this book. It is well written and beautifully illustrated. I have been cooking my way through the book and have adapted several of the cupcake and cookie recipes into bars. The recipes do not call for a lot of exotic flours with most recipes requiring the same ratio of brown rice and garbonzo bean flour. If you are GF, and mixing normal baked goods, then this is the book for you! I like this book so well, I've ordered all of her books!