Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 32 reviews
on April 1, 2012
I really like these glasses for a lot of reasons, they're nice and dark, comfortable and all that. However, the strength of the lenses is what prompted this review. I was shooting a scoped rifle for the first time, and held the scope much too close to my eye, basically touching. The recoil drove the scope straight into the lens, I ended up needing stitches for a big cut above my eyebrow, but if the lens had shattered I would have been fishing glass out of my eye instead of getting stitches. So in addition to being nice glasses, they really do protect your eyes.
11 comment| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2014
I'll admit that I was skeptical at first, but these are what I needed since I recently had cataract surgery and needed to limit the amount of bright sunlight and glare while driving. I tried the drugstore brands and two other reasonably priced brands available on Amazon. I can say without a doubt the glasses worked best for my needs. The polarization works better than any other brand I've had in the past and the wraparound design keeps out the majority of the light from either side when in the car. The only drawback for me is the materials used could be of a slightly better quality. But that's just me.
on November 21, 2012
I went from someone initially ambivalent about sunglasses in general, immediately to 'sunglasses snob' after buying a pair of overpriced-yet-otherwise-ideal sunglasses at CVS, almost identical to the Flying Fisherman design here. The polarization made for some pretty intense bike riding. It created dazzling color patterns in other polarized objects such as tinted car windows; probably dangerous but a free visual buzz.
But those were cheaply made, scratched very easily, the frames broke with little instigation, and generally fell apart in short order. Then they vanished from the shelves entirely. So I remained a snob without a pair, as it were.
I bought the Flying Fisherman's grudgingly in the hopes that they were at least as good as the CVS brand. Happy to say these have survived unscratched, frames unbroken and generally faithful for about 6 months and counting, and I am greatly pleased with them.
The one thing they don't have is that dazzling color effect I got with the CVS ones. I confess I was a little disappointed at first to take the bike out and not enjoy that visual trippiness. But to be fair, this could mean the polarization process is superior. Playing unqualified-armchair-optical-scientist here, I suspect that the cheapo CVS versions had polarization groove spacings similar enough to the other polarized objects I was looking at/through, to create a moire interference pattern, resulting in the wild color effect. Since I do NOT get that effect with these (nearly as much) I'd guess that the spacing is sufficiently different (narrower) and would conclude that this is therefore a superior product. (I was able to confirm that they are in fact polarized lenses) So, out with the dazzle, in with safer bike riding.
I do like them a lot. The peripheral vision is phenomenal, they completely cover the eyes so no sunlight sneaks by, the amber color improves contrast and clarity amazingly well, and they're comfortable for long periods of time with or without a bike helmet. This product will get my repeat business.
"So why didn't big-shot Lord Humongous give it five-out-of-five stars?" you ask? Well, in a perfect world, sunglasses of this design ought to include a sunglasses case that can contain them. As it is, these suglasses cannot fit in conventional glasses cases, they're too deep to fit, making them vulnerable to pretty much anything. So anyone who wants to invest in these for eyewear (which again, I agree would make a good investment) also ought to try to find a worthy glasses CASE that will protect them.
on October 17, 2012
I drive about 50K miles a year for work and pleasure. I had the yellow lenses. Staight into the sun i never need my pull down visor. Cloudy days and rain, these glasses make it easier to see. With the yellow you can even wear them when you get that rain under the streetlight glare on a rainy night. I lost them at a tailgate party and I am back here to buy 2 pairs. I have owned all the high end sunglasses they make. They are nice, but it really hurts when you lose or break them. Had the first pair for 9 months. One note. if you are used to wearing other color lenses, the yellow will be weird at first. Wear them a day or two, then you won't want to go back to other color lenses. IMO

Update 3-22-15. Back to buy 3 more pair. I went with a different. more expensive style for a bit. They are just not comfortable. When golfing, fishing, or working outside in hot weather for some reason I get head aches when wearing quality glass lenses. These are so light, cut the sun so well, and fit great. Now everyone in the house is "borrowing" them and I need more.
on September 24, 2012
Do I want an expensive pair of glasses? Yes! But, after accidentally crushing my last pair over five years ago, I have been buying cheap pairs ever since. The last pair I had lasted over 2 years, but they were really starting to age.

So, I finally caved in and bought a new pair, the Flying Fisherman Maverick! I love these things. When you put them on, it's as if your whole world turns HD. Everything is crystal clear, mine are amber tinted, and the tint does not affect color distortion as much as I thought it would. I put them on on my way to work this morning, at 7AM, there was hardly any sun, but I could still see just as clear as can be. I have worn them at high noon, and they block the sun so well.

The lenses wrap around, giving me an almost endless view through these sunglasses. My wife loves them, my 5 year old daughter loves them. Highly recommend. I am blown away at what $17 buys!!
on March 8, 2012
I cycle 15mi round trip to and from work. I'm using these as cycling glasses.

Inexpensive, well made, good tint and polarization. I like them a lot. They do not look like $200 glasses, that's okay. Glasses are failry large. I'm 6'3" and they fit well.

The frame is fairly beefy and sits against the eyebrows. The lens sits in front of the frame and is vented. This prevents fogging and prevents sweat and such getting on the lens as easily. It does not provide as good wind protection as closer-fitting glasses, but I have not found it objecitonable. It is the best overall balance I have found betwene protection and ventilation.

Minor complaint is the frame is bulky enough it slightly obscures the top line of vision. This is not objectionable in normal use, but when crouched in riding position, looking through the top of the glasses, is a bit more noticeable.

Great buy, highly recommended. I will get a set in Clear for night riding as well.
on August 30, 2013
I wanted some polarized sunglasses for stand-up paddling, so I could see into the water. These Mavericks work fine for that. But then I discovered I really like these for driving too. The wrap-around lens plus the lack of frame means I don't get my peripheral vision obstructed while driving. I bought three pair sunglasses at Savers for $10 and thought I was getting a deal. But those sunglasses all suck compared to these. You get what you pay for. I ordered one pair of the Mavericks on Amazon to check them out. But now I'm so pleased with them I just ordered two more pairs, as backups for when I lose a pair in a wipe-out while surfing or whatever.
on September 15, 2013
I really like the lenses on these glasses. They wrap around my head and protect my peripheral vision with no blind spots. I can find no visual distortion with them. Very nice.

However, the glasses came with little, grey rectangle pieces of plastic with the Flying Fisherman name stuck to the temple. It made the glasses look extremely cheap and tacky. I was ready to return the glasses but realized that the silly cheap plastic popped off very easily. I now have two little holes in the frames where the plastic used to be, but it is much better with them off. I am keeping the glasses.
on March 15, 2012
I bought these for running, I need sunglasses that won't budge or slip and I wear them all the time. The price was so good that I thought I'd chance it and they are perfect. They are not particularly cool looking, not bad either. The polarization is good, they are lightweight and don't budge while I run. There is enough room from side to side and between eye and lens that they keep fog free, very nice for full or large faces. I would buy this same pair again if and when I lose this pair. The mirror lens, which I bought, is very low key. It's not that super flash mirror, they seem to be a medium darkness too. Perfect for running or exercise in low light.
on March 22, 2012
Here in Texas we are getting alot of rain! It will destroy our tumbleweed crop! But our lakes are filling back up and its time to hit the feeder creeks and do some stump bumpin. These sunglases were the best $19 I have spent in some time. I can see those hawgs down deep! I do have a wide face and it is difficult to find glass's that fit.... these fit very nicely! The amber color does brighten up the overcast days and darken the super bright ones. When (not if) I loose or break these I will buy another pair!