Truck Season Automotive HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 7, 2017
If you start the Berrybender books, you will have to hibernate, because they are truly addictive and you won't be able to stop. I just had to get each book in the series because the adventure was so well written and so compelling, and the characters are so well drawn. Between acquiring other books in the series, all I could think about was that family. As with everything by McMurtry, the research is excellent and it seems he was actually in the West during those days. The man is totally genius.
on May 11, 2014
You know there are books you just can't put down? Well, here's one you don't want to pick up. Sure I've read all of McMurthry, so I know he can do better. I even read the first books in this series. But, by now there are so many characters and past history that I've forgotten, I just can't keep up with them and pretty soon don't even care. It was somewhere around 30% on my kindle that I realized I don't even know what I'm reading and started skimming along to get through to something beside all the characters and finally found a place where the author started killing them off - good idea. He could have done much better by giving a little prologue and reminding us who was whom.
2 people found this helpful
on July 20, 2017
Not the best of the 4 in this series but it was good to get it over with. It seems that McMurtry rushed the story line but at his age that's not surprising. This series was not the same quality as his best works such as Lonesome Dove and Comanche Moon but more like a western version of All My Friends Are Going To Be Strangers. I still enjoyed reading it. There are still classic McMurtry elements and it if you're a fan you should enjoy it.
on January 24, 2015
If you cannot commit to all four books, don't bother. The point and the impact is lost if you don't read the series. I was skeptical while reading the first two. I wasn't sure if I was reading satire or not. By the third book, McMurtry had his hooks set and I was surprised at the depth of engagement I felt by the end. A great read about a changing time in our history, told with humor and sometimes just the authentic absurdity brought about by conditions in the wilderness without censoring or embellishing the brutality. What seemed insensitivity at the beginning, McMurtry proves once again that not only does he fully understand his characters, with all their flaws and weaknesses, but is able to make his reader see them as whole beings. I was again surprised at the depth of affection and attachments I felt for them at the end. Several reviewers said they thought this series was a sad end to a brilliant career. I disagree. I thought it was another brilliant portrayal of a special time and place in our history... and a hell of a fun read.
VINE VOICEon July 15, 2010
In the final installment of McMurtry's saga of an English family gone astray in unfounded America, we meet our characters all over again and remember what each stood for. As in most of his novels, the stories are strongly character driven and this one is no different. Strong willed, quick tongued, and just plain unique the people in this book had me wanting more, more, and more.
This is a fitting final read in the four part volume and would simply be a waste a time if you haven't read the first three (which I highly suggest you do). Everything comes together and we turn up several morals that may have been over looked throughout the entire series.
One of the, if not the best, series I have ever read. McMurtry just never stops impressing me.
on September 12, 2006
I don't think of this as a separate book. This is the conclusion to the Berrybender tale, as Return of the King was the conclusion to Lord of the Rings. These four books are all one book to me, and must be read consecutively, with no reason to read anything else in between.

I'm fond of the characters. I feel a loyalty to them, having gone through their travails with them.

One thing that takes some getting used to is that McMurtry kills off so many of the characters. He mixes this with comedy, believe it or not, especially in the first book, Sin Killer. I don't take the violence as seriously as I would have without the comedy. Come on, Lord Berrybender poking out his son Bobbety's eye with a fork? You have to be kidding. I take it that way. For that matter, the boy is named Bobbety? That's funny right there.

Because I take the entire story with a grain of salt, and just enjoy it for the ride, I'm not bothered by the extreme violence. It reads like black humor to me.

The strength of the series lies in the adorably spoiled behavior of Tasmin and, later, her daughter Petal. Without Tasmin, this series would be nothing at all.

I even get a kick out of how McMurtry sends Lord Albany Berrybender, that self centered but brave fool, to the Alamo with Davy Crockett. It almost reminds me of Where's Waldo.

Throughout the book we keep being shown that Jim Snow doesn't love Tasmin, but other men do, and that Tasmin wants to return to England but Jim Snow never would. Their marriage seems like a temporary thing.

This final book doesn't completely resolve Tasmin's life for the readers, but does give some sort of conclusion to her marriage with Jim Snow. I think Tasmin will be traveling across the pond a number of times in her life.

One thing I took from this book is the barbarity of the American Indians. Oh my god! They are usually portrayed so positively, as the poor Native Americans who the evil Europeans dispossessed.

Anyway, Larry McMurtry made Tasmin my friend. I've been through so much with her, and she is so likeable in her annoying way. I have to give the series five stars, and I refuse to differentiate one book from another. It's all one book.
4 people found this helpful
on May 21, 2014
in mym opinion, the issue mcMurty has is the first book of his i read, lonesome dove, was one of the best books i have read in my whole life; despite its length, i read it twice & have watched the HBO series several times so his subsequent books pale in comparison include the precule & post books; this book was one of his better ones & i recomend it to mcMurty fans which i would not do with many of his others that i have read
on August 4, 2017
Good to the end. Sin killer goes back to the prairies, life goes on. Great reading loved every page. Made me laugh and sometimes cry. What a adventure, written by a great author.
on August 22, 2014
Could not get past the first 10% of the book.... horible read. Very-very difficult to keep up or follow. I purchase books to read and enjoy, not labor with names, notes, and confusion trying to figure out what the story is.
on May 8, 2014
I understand this book is the last of a series of four books. In the first half of the story I had the feeling that I'ed come into a movie during the fourth quarter, so much of the action had already happened.
For me the story did not become alive until the third ttc t quarter. Maybe I should have started with the first book,
I have enjoyed many of his other books.