Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 64 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 132 reviews
on July 29, 2017
Eye opening and should be read by as many people as possible to spread the word on where he food you consume comes from. Will make you look at your choices when shopping in a supermarket.
on June 2, 2014
First it was the movie, then, wanting more information, I bought the book. It has changed our entire approach to eating and now we are practically vegetarians - and even eat a lot of vegan dishes. I do not use packaged or prepared meals and we rarely eat meat at all - especially never chicken and ground hamburger. This book has sensitized us to every type of food including fish, so I do the research on salmon to make sure we only buy wild caught (not wild farmed.) We also grow our own vegetables now and surprisingly, we do not miss meat. In fact, when we do eat it, it's always somewhat disappointing as our taste for vegetables and whole grains now dominates our preferences and these are infinitely more flavorful (IMO). So, we owe a lot to these authors and are grateful for the research and the book. I'm still a little surprised that many people have not heard of this book, so that motivates me to write this review. Highly recommended.
on May 19, 2015
Its appalling that our government is allowing this to go on behind closed doors. Other countries such as Europe care about their people and want their country to be healthy and strong. We here in the United states are living under fraudulent conditions when it comes to the food industry. What about Cancer, heart disease diabetes????? This Food, INC. DVD will definitely get you thinking about how you have to be your own advocate and educate yourself about what you are putting into your body, and how to be a better manager over what you put into your body and not to put all your trust into the government,and advertisements. I recommend watching Food, INC. It might just wake you up.
Watching Food, Inc. was a life-changing experience for so many of us who are committed to the idea of living a healthy lifestyle centered around consuming real, whole foods that are preferably sourced locally where we live and without all the modern-day industrialized practices that dominate much of what is called "food" in the United States in the 21st Century. This powerful documentary shone a great light on problems like factory farming while extolling the virtues of choosing more organic vegetables and grass-fed meats for optimal health and longevity. It's a deep subject that warranted even further discussion which is why FOOD INC.: A PARTICIPANT GUIDE was created. Featuring many of the major players from the film--namely Eric Schlosser, Michael Pollan, Marion Nestle, Joel Salatin, and more--this book includes some poignant essays designed to make you think about how Americans typically buy what they think is "food" and what REAL food looks like by stark contrast. It's funny, our grandparents from just a couple of generations ago didn't have to call what they ate "real food"...they simply called it "food." It's time we return to those days again and books like this one along with the companion DVD Food Inc.: A Participant Guide: How Industrial Food is Making Us Sicker, Fatter, and Poorer-And What You Can Do About It will help make that happen.
on September 27, 2011
Its rare that I learn as much about a subject as I have from Food, Inc. Accordingly, even though this is far from a perfect book, I give it my highest rating.

The "book" is actually a series of essays written by a selection of very knowledgeable persons and groups, detailing the adverse effects of the industrialization of the food industry. Each of the articles takes a slightly different tact, but collectively, they comprise a very effective attack on the large, multinational food and farming corporations and the governmental agencies which are supposed to be regulating them. The book describes their decimation of the environment, the adverse effects of their practices on the health of our citizenry (obesity and the effect of the pervasive use of pesticides, hormones and antibiotics), the harm their activities cause to the economies of the poorest of the third world nations (and the resulting increase in malnutrition and starvation), and their shameful disregard for even the most basic welfare of the animals that grace our dinner plates.

On the negative side, many of the essays are duplicative, and others are obvious and repetitive. Additionally, the editors who selected the writings don't even make a pretense of subjectivity. Notwithstanding these negatives, the book nonetheless very powerfully and effectively argues that when it comes to farming, agriculture, and other aspects of the food business, the old ways are most certainly the best.
on April 8, 2016
Food Inc. is a very good book. I bought it used after seeing the documentary. It is a very informative book, provides additional information and resources that the movie couldn't. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in where the food they eat comes from, the workers and producers in the food industry and how it is impacting the environment and our health.
I am glad I bought my book through the Amazon seller. The book arrived in good condition and I couldn't beat the price.
on September 22, 2009
I bought the book because I didn't think that the movie was going to play around here but than I found out that it was and WOW!!! The book and the movie go hand in hand. Our lives have changed as a result for the better. We need to know where our food is coming from and when we find out we must make a choice as to whether we are going to continue to poison ourself and promote the horrible things done to the animals, food, farmers and factory workers (when we buy these things we are promoting them) or make the changes and only eat what we grow ourselves without pesticides and such, organic, and from farmers who are raising happy cows, chickens etc that are eating what they should and treated with respect. I look forward to feeling good when I am old due to making the changes necessary so than I will not have the cost of meds (not that I would use them) to treat the illnesses I get due to poor diet. We will never eat fast food again or buy meat from the grocery store now that we know what we are actually eating (feces, ammonia, hormones and antibiotics to name a few). Ignorance is not bliss. Americans are poisoned and you can see by looking around you at all the health problems. Go see the movie (documentary) and get the book because the books always have more in them. It actually cost less to eat healthy when you consider the cost later in life from eating badly, it cost your health and money because you have to now treat your health problems with expensive meds. Choose your health over your cravings please. God provided us with things that grow naturally. Fruits, veggies, nuts, grains etc and we don't need poisonous pesticides. Meat is good if it is humanely slaughtered and feed the right diet minus the hormones and antibiotics. Support the local farmers. Here is the link to see the trailer for the [...]
on October 19, 2016
If you liked this, check out any book (particularly Cooked) by Michael Pollan.
on August 5, 2013
Very educational and eye opening about what is going on in this country in the food industry and how it is making Americans sick. I had no idea how much control the food industry has in this country, the abuse of animals, continued slavery in America and how unsanitary our food is. Also, how the large corporations are trying to put the small farmer out of business and have already put many farmers out of business here and in other countries and our US government is backing them up 100%. This film is very informative and everybody should see it.
on January 27, 2013
I grew up on a farm in the midwest in the 1950's and earl;y 60's. Watching this was a real eye opener for me. Farming today is nothing like it was during my childhood, unless on is an organic farmer. The food industry does such a good job with publicity and pictures that most people do not realize how things have changed. How I wish this was something every jr or senior in high school watched and discussed. If more people understood the truth about 'food' today, things would change faster. If you care about your health, or your children or grand children's health, see this.