Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 823 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,032 reviews
on May 31, 2016
If you follow only half of what Micheal says to do in this book, you will live a healthy lifestyle. I lost 83 pounds after following his advice,I went from 268 to 183 in 7 months, got off all medication and my blood work was perfect.
on August 11, 2016
 “I had a deeply unsettling moment when, after spending a couple years researching nutrition for my last book, In Defense of Food, I realized that the answer to the supposedly incredibly complicated question of what we should eat wasn’t so complicated after all, and in fact could be boiled down to just seven words:

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

This was the bottom line, and it was satisfying to have found it, a piece of hard ground deep down at the bottom of the swamp of nutrition science: seven words of plain English, no biochemistry degree required. But it was also somewhat alarming, because my publisher was expecting a few thousand words more than that. Fortunately for both of us, I realized that the story of how simple a question as what to eat had ever gotten so complicated was one worth telling, and that became the focus of that book.

The focus of this book is very different. It is much less about theory, history, and science than it is about our daily lives and practice. In this short, radically pared-down book, I unpack those seven words of advice into a comprehensive set of rules, or personal policies, designed to help you eat real food in moderation and, by doing so, substantially get off the Western diet. The rules are phrased in everyday language; I deliberately avoid the vocabulary of nutrition or biochemistry, though in most cases there is scientific research to back them up.”

~ Michael Pollan from Food Rules

Michael Pollan is the author of a number of New York Times best-selling books on nutrition (including In Defense of Food and The Omnivore’s Dilemma). He’s a longtime New York Times contributor and Professor of Journalism at Berkeley. In 2010, Time magazine named him one of the one hundred most influential people in the world.

If you’re looking for a SUPER compact, witty look at the primary rules on how to eat well, this is it. I HIGHLY recommend you pick up a copy as I think it’s the page-for-page best guide on the basic fundamentals of nutrition.

It’s a fun, witty, concise guide to eating well featuring 64 food rules structured around Pollan’s seven words of wisdom:

Part 1 = Eat food.

Part 2 = Mostly plants.

Part 3 = Not too much.

I'm excited to share some of favorite Big Ideas:

1. Nutrition: 2 Facts - Everyone agrees on.
2. Rule #1: Eat Food - Not edible foodlike substances.
3. Low-Fat - Made us fat.
4. Will Your Food Rot? - Good test.
5. 66% - 80% - Not too much.

Let’s have fun optimizing our food rules as we eat food... not too much... mostly plants!

More goodness— including PhilosophersNotes on 300+ books in our ​*OPTIMIZE*​ membership program. Find out more at brianjohnson . me.
on June 19, 2015
Michael Pollan is a gifted writer, a UC Berkey Professor, and an oracle on food. This is his fourth book, an excellent addition. His first, The Omnivores' Dilema, introduces us to a new way of looking at our food and nutrition. NOT A DIET BOOK, but a book about us, our food and our history with it. Fascinating observations are presented without any agenda other than sharing the information. This writer was very influential in my education as a Chef and wording with food. What did I get from this author? Eat what your Grandmother ate. On Ethnic Foods: traditional foods in any culture that mom would have made are almost always okay.... Mothers don't knowingly feed their families bad food.....
Stay away from "factory made food"!.....
Shop the perimeter of the supermarket. Shop produce, go to dairy, then meat department and the to the checkout. Most everything in the center is factory made, and in a can, bag, or box.
on November 4, 2016
If you're buying this enrich your knowledge of nutrition from scratch then yes, this book may be a good little nutrition pocket bible. If you're buying this book to help a family member who is down on their luck with losing weight or being healthy, then yes, give them this book. If you already have a firm handle on what you need to do to stay fit and healthy, then no, this book doesn't teach anything new. I like the format of the book and the presentation of subjects in a simplistic format to keep the book short, but don't expect to learn anything especially interesting.
on June 9, 2013
It's a good thing I only paid five bucks for this book because I felt a bit gypped after reading it. This is basically In Defense of Food: Lite or, worse, In Defense of Food: Dr. Phil-a-fied. I read it in an afternoon - not because it was so riveting, but because it's only 140 pages long. And that's deceptive: Every other page has a picture of an onion or a pepper or something on it, so that cuts it down to 70 pages, and several of the non-onion pages only have a snippet of text on them, so that makes it, at best, a 40 page book. And those 40 pages were pretty much regurgitated from In Defense of Food which was mostly regurgitated from The Omnivore's Dilemma. Should I have known this? Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my purchase. I really like Michael Pollan. His thoughts on food have made an indelible impact on my eating habits, but, dude, write a new book!!!

Overall, this book is fun and somewhat cute - it's classic Michael Pollan in tone. Most of his food policies are doable and helpful. But don't waste your money if you've already read In Defense of Food. There's nothing new here.
on April 9, 2017
If you've tried numerous diets unsuccessfully, this short book is for you. But it's really for all of us who live (and die prematurely) by the Western / American diet. I don't remember seeing obese people in Japan or France. Here in the US, such sights are commomplace. Apart from obesity, this is a manual for healthy eating. It explains the what, how, and when in simple, memorable language. Everyone should read it, and reread it often!
on September 6, 2016
This book changed my life! Three rules for healthy eating: 1. Eat food 2. Not too much 3. Mostly plants. I can remember those! Of course, the book delves more deeply into each of those three simple rules. Eating food--what is food and what is chemical--it talks about whole food and nutrients and what is important to remembering about eating what kinds of food. AND what eating things that aren't real, whole food can do to us. Not too much--delves into portion sizes and how much of different foods that you need and how we get so out of control with our portions. Mostly plants--talks again about other ways to get protein and keeping our intake of meat in perspective. The premise of the book is that there is SO much information out there about nutrition science with a lot of conflicting ideas about what is good for you that we really need to boil it down to what we do know and quit making things so complicated for ourselves. We do that by following three simple rules and not getting too hung up on the minute details and worrying about doing "one wrong thing." I've been working on cleaning up my eating for a few years now. I try to avoid processed food, watch my portions, and stick with as many fruits and vegetables as I can. I can do that. Most of the time. If you are confused by all the talk about what to eat and what not to eat, think about these three rules--and while you are thinking, read this book. It will put your mind at ease and help you find some healthy habits in the process.
on March 5, 2010
I like Michael Pollan. I like this book.
I can see why some reviewers are disappointed in it, stating that it's just a watered-down version of "In Defense of Food". I can see how some people who have never read Micheal Pollan don't understand a lot of the intracicies and see this as a book of unsupported platitudes. It does say right in the description of the book "A pocket compendium of food wisdom-from the author of The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food."
That's exactly what it is. It doesn't pretend to be any more or any less. It's a nice quick read to remind me of what I read in "In Defense of Food." If you are looking this as a replacement for, or to read instead of "In Defense of Food" spend your money else-where. If you would like a reminder of the "Food Rules", then this book is for you. Don't blame the author or the publisher if you were expecting more from this book than the description offered.
on March 12, 2017
Everything he talks about is what I've been working towards. Food is life and it should be respected and enjoyed every single day. The way we eat nowadays is concerning especially the "food" options presented on so many shelves in grocery stores and I've been aspiring for years to get back to basics - fresh, simple ingredients, prepared at home with love and a passion to nourish yourself as nature intended. The Earth is bountiful with everything you could possibly need to feed yourself and your family and it certainly wasn't manufactured in a science lab. This book provides the encouragement and inspiration to eat and cook well without seeming daunting (or confusing) in the least.
on December 19, 2016
Easy to understand. I am reading this with my children (all under 10yo), one rule every morning at breakfast, for which we now all sit down. We discuss it and think about whether/how to incorporate it into our lives. It has changed our home for the healthier.