Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 10, 2017
The little bit of the audiobook that I was able to hear was really intriguing, but there are apparently manufacturing problems with the audiobook (a boxed CD set). I received one copy of the CD set. It skipped and stuttered and ultimately wouldn't play. I received a replacement CD set (smooth return process on the part of Amazon!), and it also skipped and stuttered and wouldn't play. I have another audiobook by Taleb that plays fine, so I'm guessing that it's a problem with the manufacturing for this particular CD. Disappointing, it seems like it will be a really great book. Unfortunately, Amazon only allows exchanges one time. I'm hoping that Black Swan doesn't have the same problems since I also purchased that as an audiobook.
on May 17, 2017
A nice introduction to practicing some healthy skepticism. What we every day is not always as it seems, and the quest to produce a narrative is strong. This was a fun book to read and makes questioning the status quo easier.
on August 11, 2015
The examples to illustrate his points were by far the best part of the book. He's really pretty funny. Other than that, it got a bit heady at times as he explained his lines of logic following PhD level research and whatnot. Overall I liked the book. Definitely some great takeaways to be applied to all aspects of life. Biggest takeaway: understanding that if you are successful, it doesn't necessarily mean that it was from your hard work and perseverance. In fact, there a large probability (most used word in book) that luck was involved.
on September 30, 2015
Clear, personable and erudite rendering of the randomness of things and the effect that has on human life and actions. Well worth the read!
on May 19, 2017
Don't for a moment expect any pattern in your life. Accept that all is random. This way life makes "sense."
on September 24, 2014
Its a good book but it is very heavy weight. It took me a very long time to finish this book, I had to literally read few pages 2 to 3 times to grasp the concepts. Also there were several key points one should take away, hence I took notes so that I don't forget those.
I have a training background hence I could relate to several things like Monte Carlo simulation etc.
on November 14, 2014
With a book on a topic as evasive as risk and probability, it is no surprise that the reviews span a broad range. For me, it has been one of the most defining books I have read. I continue to profit from it's examples, the thinking I acquired reading it, and its elegance. Maybe it has similar value to you. Do not offload your decision to reviews, this would be 'foolish'. If you want to know if it is for you, there is only one way to find out: go on an adventure and read it or listen to it.
on August 22, 2015
FBR was recommended to me by a friend. It's a quick one-day read that I enjoyed while on vacation, although it's a bit dated. A lot has happened in the industry and the world since 2001, but I think his premise is interesting. I will definitely read the rest of the series to get his take post 9/11 and in particular, the 2008 crash, subsequent recession, regulations, etc.
on June 1, 2012
The author outlines some interesting ideas, but may very well have fallen victim to his own concepts. While one can discount planning and faith, contingency theory leadership has its limits, but so does the belief that all is random, thus what can one really do in life. I got a distinct impression of negative qualities from the author, which overshadowed the entire book. Wish he had stuck to the idea of randomness in life.
on April 17, 2016
This book is fun to read. It raises considerations that had never occurred to me despite working in fields affected by randomness. Of Taleb's three major books (Fooled, Black Swan, Antifragile), this one is my favorite. It's a pretty brisk read and seems to stay on point. I read this just after reading Against the Gods and the two were interesting to juxtapose. I recommend this to anyone who is curious how probability permeates our world.