Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

Footprints
Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(5 star). See all 20 reviews
on March 6, 2007
Turned on my car radio a couple of weeks ago to WBGO NPR Jazz out of Newark,NJ and heard this great vocal rendition of Dizzy's Con Alma and was totally mesmerized. The singers voice and style were just perfect for the song, almost as though the song written more than 50 years ago was waiting for these beautiful lyrics and this wonderfull singers heart-felt rendition. I just flipped. Thanks to Amazon search and sample takes, I came up with Karrin Allyson and this terrific CD "Footprints".

Karrin handles every tune creativly and with class and style, and what a style. I thought I was hip to all the good jazz singers on the scene, but wow, did I miss her. Karrin swings like crazy on the up tunes and sings with tremendous feeling on the ballads.The choice of songs on this CD are a terrific blend of some of the best jazz of the 50"s and 60's that every real jazz fan knows, since they are trully jazz classics.This CD gives them a whole set of new imaginative lyrics and fresh new arrangements. This group plays as one, and you sense they have played together for a long period. The addition of Jon Hendricks and Nancy King really make this CD even more outstandinng.Chris Caswell's Lyrics are brilliant and a perfect fit, all these many years later.

Jordu, Strollin, But I was Cool, Never Say Yes---all swing.Footprints and Con Alma are just beautifull ballads. What can I say but that this is one of the best vocal albums I have ever listened to.

I can't believe this is Karrin Allysons 10th CD and I never new of her. She is one of those few singers that makes the song she sings her song, and you will always associate these tunes with her after hearing this CD

Now I guess I just have to order some of these CD's she's released through the years to catch up with her, and enjoy even more of this fantastic singers work.

I see Karrin's going to be in my town, New York, at Birdland in May '07 and at the Lichfield Jazz concert in Connecticut in August '07. You better believe I won't miss those performances. I bet she must be just great in a jazz club. I really have to make up for lost time.

Not to buy this CD would be one big mistake.I listen to it over and over. Concord, you just have to have Allyson do another one with the same theme. There are so many other Jazz Classics crying out for her to interprete. Let's do a whole bunch of these CDs and you can add even more of your talented guest to join in, as you did with "Footprints"

What a delight.....Long live this great music.
4 people found this helpful
on February 10, 2009
"Footprints" finds the exceptionally talented Karrin Allyson trying to have her cake and eat it too because she is performing old standards that have been rearranged, plus she is performing with Nancy King, a formidable jazz artist in her own right.

The result is a sparkling mixture of old, new, and just plain good. "I Found The Turnaround (The Turnaround)," "But I Was Cool," "Everybody's Boppin'," and "All You Need To Say" are just a few of the songs found here, and Ms. Allyson shines and shimmers throughout. This is a record that shouldn't have a hard time finding a home with jazz lovers.
One person found this helpful
on December 9, 2009
Karrin;
Is Great, different in the Genre's she sings, Wonderful, she can scat and you never know what to expect to come from this Sexy lady.
If you don't have her music, try at least one.
Learn to live and enjoy her versions of Jazz.
I must admit I am biased,
I own almost all of her CD's, so take that in kind.
I even listen to these fine recordings very often........
One person found this helpful
on March 7, 2016
Darrin is simply a great talented vocalist and master of many instruments. I saw her in person in St. Louis at the Bistro recently. She just blew me away. There is so much feeling in her music.
on May 15, 2015
Very well done.
on November 22, 2012
We saw Allyson live a few months ago and were bowled over. No one has sung with such feeling for the words since Billie Holiday. This is a lovely album, like everything by her I've listened to since.
on June 9, 2015
Really like her style
on May 14, 2006
IMHO, Karrin Allyson's "Ballads: Remembering John Coltrane" was the best vocal jazz c.d. of 2001, and one of the best of the millenium. But, IMHO, her follow-ups, "In Blue" and "Wild For You," didn't measure up to that one. The programs felt wrong, or something. So, where does "Footprints" stack up?

IMHO, to the caliber of "Ballads". I'm delighted to say: Karrin Allyson is back!

This album is about vocalese of post-bop tunes, mostly with original lyrics by Chris Caswell. We have: Dizzy's "Con Alma" (note: this was done with different lyrics, by Nancy Rafat, on Tierney Sutton's 2001 "Unsung Heroes"); Trane's "Equinox" (which is a slowed-down "Cousin Mary" by any other name); the famous "Jordu" of Duke Jordan's; Nat Adderley's "Teaneck" (an instrumental on the seminal "Cannonball Adderley and Nancy Wilson") and "Never Say Yes"; and the title track of Wayne Shorter's.

This setting absolutely works for Ms. Allyson. She sounds great, as always, and the piano work of accompanist Bruce Barth is top drawer.

But what makes this a high 5-star album is Nancy King, Oscar Brown and Jon Hendricks.

Nancy King's voice works superbly well with Ms. Allyson's. Together, they sound tremendous on "Yes," "A Tree and Me" and the title track; and her scatting on "Jordu" is sensational. She alone elevates this to a 5-star album.

"Tree" belongs to Oscar Brown, Jr., and is the highlight of this set. The reason why is that Ms. Allyson's voice works best when singing melancholy, plaintive ballads (which was what "Ballads" was mostly about); and this tune, with very poignant lyrics about the meaning of death, is the one. But the late Mr. Brown also contributes an hilarious "But I Was Cool", and Ms. Allyson brings a smile to your face with the alternate wailing and "being cool."

And what would a new vocalese album be without the James Joyce of it all, Jon Hendricks? Jon sits in on his sweet "Strollin'" of Horace Silver, and sounds in remarkably good voice. He even whistles a chorus, bringing back memories of "Whistlin' at the Pretty Girls" of early L, H & R days.

And then the album ends on the highest of high notes, with Jon, Nancy and Karrin tradin' fours on one of the old L, H & R staples, "Everybody's Boppin'." This sounds as good, if not better, as the immortal version with Dave Lambert and Annie Ross. I guess it isn't going to happen, but a new ensemble known as "Allyson Hendricks and King" would be just fine by me!

This may not end up being the best of 2006, when all is said and done; but it has to be an early contender. Very highly recommended. RC
16 people found this helpful
on May 20, 2006
This new CD, "Footprints," is by far one of Ms. Allyson's finest outings to date...and I truly echo Rick's words here!

It is not an easy task to take some of the finest instrumental classics in jazz and add lyrics, but Chris Caswell gets a huge tip of the hat for a fine job. Add some killer contributions from Nancy King (who deserves wider recognition) and Jon Hendricks (Mr. Vocalese), and you've got a fine album in which the sum total (in my book) equals all of its individual parts.

Far and away, my two favorite tracks are "But I Was Cool," with a killer flute solo by Frank Wess, and the rapid-fire "Everybody's Boppin'", where all the voices are joined together (reminiscent of Lambert, Hendricks and Ross). The memory of the late, great Oscar Brown, Jr. is preserved on this disc with two songs - it broke my heart to know that he passed on just months before having a chance to add his talent to the proceedings.

Thanks Karrin - can't wait to see what you come up with next time!
9 people found this helpful
on April 19, 2006
Of late, every album she has released is radically different. Paris to Rio - French/Portuguese jazz, Ballads - classic jazz, In Blue - smooth blues, Wild about you - pop/jazz interpretations. Just when you thought all the bases were covered, Footprints arrives. In Footprints Karrin reinterprets jazz standards that have had lyrics added (by Chris Caswell) - no small feat! She gets 4 stars for bravery alone! It takes guts to mess with classics - she proves she's got what it takes. Though it contains a great mix of duets and solos, it's not for everyone. I'm sure some people will be upset with lyrics being added to pure jazz instrumentals, but no matter what, you have to give Karrin credit. She sings what she likes and it shows. Pure clean vocals. She doesn't have the biggest voice out there but she sure has the prettiest. By the way: You scat lovers will not be disappointed - Karrin delivers.
21 people found this helpful