Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on September 21, 2016
I've been a Mitch Albom fan ever since reading "The Five People You Meet in Heaven". I was curious about "for one more day" because it was about a mother's love, and I lost my mother to illness 16 years ago. I am 70 years old and had a good life, largely thanks to my mother's guidance in my early years. Through her love and constant encouragement, she taught me to appreciate and hone my natural gifts in life.

The mother in "for one more day" is like that with her son; she loves her son and is very involved with his upbringing. The son is rebellious to the mother's gentle guidance and strives to win the approval of his emotionally distant father. Mitch Albom has such an ear for the every day dialog that occurs in a family's home. The mother is steadfastly devoted to her son, even as he openly prefers his father's "manly" style.

This is the third book I've read by Mitch, and a constant thread in these 3 books is that someone cares and makes it known to the recipients with a combination of deeds and words. Also, often, the caring is not immediately recognized or appreciated. However, over time, the care receiver sees the care shining through and feels blessed by it.

After reading this book, I spent a lot of time thinking about my mother and what I would say and do if I could spend just one more day with her. I would ask her what she liked about how I turned out, how she liked my 3 adult children, and how she liked the way I renovated her old house before I sold it 6 years ago.

For those of you who lost a beloved parent, give this book a try.. Then spend some time thinking about having that parent with you for a day, just the two of you. Mitch Albom inspires you to think about your life from a different perspective. Who in your life loved you and gave their all on your behalf? Reading this book will make you a little sad, but eventually, you'll smile more whenever you think about that special parent.
13 people found this helpful
on September 18, 2015
Meet Chick Benetto (Charley). He's faced a life of emotional pain enduring unfulfilled ambitions, alcohol abuse, divorce, an estranged daughter, a broken childhood home, and an extremely shortened pro baseball career. To say his life has been unfulfilling is an understatement.
Chick returns to his abandoned childhood home after two bungled suicide attempts. Chick gets "One more day" after encountering the spirit of his deceased mom. Chick thoughtlessly took her for granted during childhood and through his less than stellar adult life.
Miraculously, Chick can now apologize to mom for his ingratitude regarding the sacrifices she made as a single, working mother. He lied, his way through life, drank heavily, made one bad decision after another. He respected no one, not even himself. The author tells his story beautifully, particularly in Chick's recollections of his mother's wisdom. Mr. Albom gives mom (Pauline) a great deal of depth and a complex character which spans familiar ideas of motherhood in the '50s. The gentle, knowing ways of Pauline provide Chick with an unconditional love, even in death. She's a likeable, lovable woman; though I had a hard time feeling empathy for him.

In the end, Mr. Albom provides the reader with a short epilogue which brings this very loving story to a heartening end. Albom's books are thought provoking and this one is no different.
5 people found this helpful
on November 21, 2017
When I was in high school my mom and I would read a few chapters of this book together before bed. We would cry together and enjoy every page. My mom passed away my senior year of high school and the message of this book has stayed with me 6 years later. I now am re-reading this book and still cry and enjoy every page, just alone this time. What I'd give for just one more day with her. This book is a must read. For those who have lost someone this book really makes you feel every word.
on September 30, 2017
Like Mitch’s other book, Tuesdays with Morey” this book lets the reader really think. It is a well written book and kept my interest from start to finish. Without spoiling the book, it is a deep feeling book and one that you understand possibly the things you did wrong when you were a child. It is a great book. A short read but excellent. I would recommend this book to any reader.
on December 29, 2014
I loved this book so much; having lost my oldest son this past June I was so touched and moved that as soon as I finished, I turned to page one and started all over again. Made me sad, yet inspired; all I want is just one more day with my boy. He passed away unexpectedly and tragically and I never got a chance to say goodbye or get that last hug and kiss and I love you Mom that I would get each time we visited. Our last 2 conversations were via the phone (2 days before he died) and via text (1 day before he slipped into a week long coma which he never came out of). I feel like I can't let him go because I need that proper goodbye...... This book left me feeling like maybe one day I'll get my wish.
5 people found this helpful
on December 5, 2016
This is a beautiful and touching mother and son story that will make you reconsider how you treat your own mother.:)

I hope my review has been helpful to you. It encourages me to continue writing and updating my reviews. Please leave a comment if you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer if I can be of help.
on November 13, 2015
Albom's book reminds us we all have regrets and yearnings to make up for what we said or didn't say to our loved ones. I particularly liked the chapters where he wrote about how his mother had stood up and supported him. The heart wrenching chapters were when he described how he did not support her. Hopefully, after reading this, we will be reminded that we only have today to let our loved ones know that we care!
4 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon January 5, 2011
Although I might not have read this slim novel had it not been a book club selection, I'm sure glad that I did. In it are lessons on love, relationships, life, sacrifice, and decision making.

After attempting to commit suicide several times, it seems that Chick Benetto has finally succeeded in ending his life. But wait, maybe not. Instead, he appears to be in some sort of twilight, in-between state in which he gets to spend the day with his mother who has been deceased for a number of years. As their day progresses, the reader learns a great deal about Chick's childhood and the fact that his father deserted the family when Chick was a youngster, thus leaving his mother in a sad situation. Not only was his divorced mother stigmatized by the community, she was also forced out of her nursing career and into more labor intensive jobs. Despite the fact that his mother sacrificed much so that Chick and his sister could have the things they needed, he still found himself yearning for the love and approval of his distant father. Their day together serves as a "wake-up call."

Does Chick succeed in ending his life? You'll have to read the novel and find out for yourself. Mitch Albom makes the reader realize that whether dead or alive, family members influence affect us, perhaps for generations. My favorite line from the book is one that I pondered often during the recent Christmas holiday: "Every family is a ghost story. The dead sit at our tables long after they have gone."
One person found this helpful
on May 5, 2017
A thought-provoking quick read. I, too, lost my mother earlier than we ever thought would happen and the tale of shame is one I know (but not for the same reason's as Chick's), so this book is life-applicable. I wish I could have that one more day. A well-told ghost story, Mitch Albom. Bravo.
One person found this helpful
on January 29, 2007
Each of us has a small box of shame tucked away somewhere. For some, it may be no bigger than a matchbox, containing an unkind word, or a life regret that cannot be undone. Mitch Albom opens a shoebox with "For One More Day," his latest effort offering insights into life and choices.

The author of "Tuesdays with Morrie" and "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" strikes familiar chords in telling the story of Charles "Chick" Benetto, a former ballplayer who has forgotten to pay the same amount of attention descending the mountain as he did making the climb. He drinks too much, argues with his wife and daughter, and winds up - down and out.

The turning point arrives at an old-timers game, which Chick attends rather than visiting with his elderly mother. Her fatal heart attack occurs, ironically, at the exact moment he steps up to the plate, and his absence packs enough guilt to haunt him the rest of his life, eventually alienating those he loves and cares about. In a fit of despair, he decides to end it all.

Albom has a knack for seamless storytelling and the small book may be an evening's effort for quick readers, but despite its size, it packs a powerful punch. He provides a storyteller who relates Chick's story, offering both the good and the not-so as Chick grows up under the care of his divorced mother, and in bringing items into the light from the dark of the shoebox, Albom will almost certainly provoke soul searching among his readers.

Much like "The Ultimate Gift," there are opportunities for self-reflection provided in the context of a well-written story, and for some, a chance to empty out the regrets and enjoy what is important, if only "For One More Day."
6 people found this helpful