Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on September 18, 2015
Meet Chick Benetto (Charley). He's faced a life of emotional pain enduring unfulfilled ambitions, alcohol abuse, divorce, an estranged daughter, a broken childhood home, and an extremely shortened pro baseball career. To say his life has been unfulfilling is an understatement.
Chick returns to his abandoned childhood home after two bungled suicide attempts. Chick gets "One more day" after encountering the spirit of his deceased mom. Chick thoughtlessly took her for granted during childhood and through his less than stellar adult life.
Miraculously, Chick can now apologize to mom for his ingratitude regarding the sacrifices she made as a single, working mother. He lied, his way through life, drank heavily, made one bad decision after another. He respected no one, not even himself. The author tells his story beautifully, particularly in Chick's recollections of his mother's wisdom. Mr. Albom gives mom (Pauline) a great deal of depth and a complex character which spans familiar ideas of motherhood in the '50s. The gentle, knowing ways of Pauline provide Chick with an unconditional love, even in death. She's a likeable, lovable woman; though I had a hard time feeling empathy for him.

In the end, Mr. Albom provides the reader with a short epilogue which brings this very loving story to a heartening end. Albom's books are thought provoking and this one is no different.
on September 30, 2017
Like Mitch’s other book, Tuesdays with Morey” this book lets the reader really think. It is a well written book and kept my interest from start to finish. Without spoiling the book, it is a deep feeling book and one that you understand possibly the things you did wrong when you were a child. It is a great book. A short read but excellent. I would recommend this book to any reader.
on December 29, 2014
I loved this book so much; having lost my oldest son this past June I was so touched and moved that as soon as I finished, I turned to page one and started all over again. Made me sad, yet inspired; all I want is just one more day with my boy. He passed away unexpectedly and tragically and I never got a chance to say goodbye or get that last hug and kiss and I love you Mom that I would get each time we visited. Our last 2 conversations were via the phone (2 days before he died) and via text (1 day before he slipped into a week long coma which he never came out of). I feel like I can't let him go because I need that proper goodbye...... This book left me feeling like maybe one day I'll get my wish.
VINE VOICEon January 5, 2011
Although I might not have read this slim novel had it not been a book club selection, I'm sure glad that I did. In it are lessons on love, relationships, life, sacrifice, and decision making.

After attempting to commit suicide several times, it seems that Chick Benetto has finally succeeded in ending his life. But wait, maybe not. Instead, he appears to be in some sort of twilight, in-between state in which he gets to spend the day with his mother who has been deceased for a number of years. As their day progresses, the reader learns a great deal about Chick's childhood and the fact that his father deserted the family when Chick was a youngster, thus leaving his mother in a sad situation. Not only was his divorced mother stigmatized by the community, she was also forced out of her nursing career and into more labor intensive jobs. Despite the fact that his mother sacrificed much so that Chick and his sister could have the things they needed, he still found himself yearning for the love and approval of his distant father. Their day together serves as a "wake-up call."

Does Chick succeed in ending his life? You'll have to read the novel and find out for yourself. Mitch Albom makes the reader realize that whether dead or alive, family members influence affect us, perhaps for generations. My favorite line from the book is one that I pondered often during the recent Christmas holiday: "Every family is a ghost story. The dead sit at our tables long after they have gone."
on November 13, 2015
Albom's book reminds us we all have regrets and yearnings to make up for what we said or didn't say to our loved ones. I particularly liked the chapters where he wrote about how his mother had stood up and supported him. The heart wrenching chapters were when he described how he did not support her. Hopefully, after reading this, we will be reminded that we only have today to let our loved ones know that we care!
on November 24, 2015
I hadn't read anything by Mitch Albom since "Tuesdays with Morrie" many years ago. I saw his appearance on Fox & Friends and decided to order his newest book. While on the Amazon site I also bought his three previous books, and I was totally blown away by his writing style and his ability to make me believe there's more to the afterlife than I'd believed previously.
on January 13, 2018
I have enjoyed Albom's work a very long time. This is another example of the fine writing responsible. I would say for non-believers to not be put off by a ghost character. The ghost is not the story. Human spirit is.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 29, 2007
Each of us has a small box of shame tucked away somewhere. For some, it may be no bigger than a matchbox, containing an unkind word, or a life regret that cannot be undone. Mitch Albom opens a shoebox with "For One More Day," his latest effort offering insights into life and choices.

The author of "Tuesdays with Morrie" and "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" strikes familiar chords in telling the story of Charles "Chick" Benetto, a former ballplayer who has forgotten to pay the same amount of attention descending the mountain as he did making the climb. He drinks too much, argues with his wife and daughter, and winds up - down and out.

The turning point arrives at an old-timers game, which Chick attends rather than visiting with his elderly mother. Her fatal heart attack occurs, ironically, at the exact moment he steps up to the plate, and his absence packs enough guilt to haunt him the rest of his life, eventually alienating those he loves and cares about. In a fit of despair, he decides to end it all.

Albom has a knack for seamless storytelling and the small book may be an evening's effort for quick readers, but despite its size, it packs a powerful punch. He provides a storyteller who relates Chick's story, offering both the good and the not-so as Chick grows up under the care of his divorced mother, and in bringing items into the light from the dark of the shoebox, Albom will almost certainly provoke soul searching among his readers.

Much like "The Ultimate Gift," there are opportunities for self-reflection provided in the context of a well-written story, and for some, a chance to empty out the regrets and enjoy what is important, if only "For One More Day."
on July 5, 2014
I love Mitch Albom's books! My son was taken from me by a careless driver 3 years ago now. 3 weeks after the accident, I was looking for a book to help me with my grief, my lack of faith and acceptance of life and loss. Mitch's book "Have a Little Faith" practically jumped of the shelf at me. It was just the book I was looking for. For One More Day was my next purchase. I still reference both books regularly - there are "passages" that for whatever reason spoke to me, gave me a subtle personal message about me and my life. They have immensely helped me move past my grief and keep living. I would give anything For One More Day with my son!
VINE VOICEon October 18, 2006
FOR ONE MORE DAY by Mitch Albom

October 18, 2006

Amazon Rating 4.5/5 stars

This was my least favorite so far in the series of books starting with TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE, but it still packed a punch at the very end of the book. FOR ONE MORE DAY is the story of a man who attempts suicide, but does not succeed. No matter what he does, he survives the attempt. Charley "Chick" Bennetto was once a major league baseball player, and even made it to the World Series. But life for him has gone downhill since then.

His story is told in flashbacks, showing his relationship with his parents, in particular his mother. His mother's death made a big impact on him, leading him to attempt suicide, and the reason behind this is revealed slowly through the telling of their relationship.

He was told that you can only be one thing - a momma's boy or a daddy's boy, but you can't be both. So he chose to be a daddy's boy, nearly shunning his mother

throughout his life, treating her with less respect that he should have otherwise. He adored his father, a man that was distant and treated his mother at times with cruelty. And suddenly one day, his father is out of their lives, with no explanations.

Chick's life is told in short chapters, mostly titled "times my mother stood up for me", and "times I did not stand up for my mother". I don't know about everyone, but this book hit home, as I had lost my mother in January, and I know that I've always wanted to be a daddy's girl, not a momma's girl, never wanting to emulate her, always wanting to be like my father. This story will ring true for many, as I think what happens when one is growing up is that the mother is the one that ends up the disciplinarian, and often times (especially in divorced families) she's the one that takes up the slack, she's doing it all. Chick never appreciated his mother, nor was he ever there for her. Finally, on that last day of her life, he disappoints her yet again. It's a day he wishes he can take back and do over again.

The miracle of Chick's life is that when he ends up in a near fatal car accident, he doesn't die but instead walks away and meets his mother again who has been dead for years, as if it's just another day. It is the experiences of this day that turns Chick's life around, as the reader will discover.

I won't say more as I don't want to reveal the ending, but FOR ONE MORE DAY wasn't my favorite book by this author, but no matter what he writes, he seems to always find a way to hit you in the heart in that very last chapter. I was wondering what he'd do this time to make me pull out that Kleenex box, and he did it yet again. I don't think the story is as "wonderful" as the previous THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN, or the great TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE. But the lesson learned here is valuable. Recommended.