Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 587 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,057 reviews
on September 21, 2016
I've been a Mitch Albom fan ever since reading "The Five People You Meet in Heaven". I was curious about "for one more day" because it was about a mother's love, and I lost my mother to illness 16 years ago. I am 70 years old and had a good life, largely thanks to my mother's guidance in my early years. Through her love and constant encouragement, she taught me to appreciate and hone my natural gifts in life.

The mother in "for one more day" is like that with her son; she loves her son and is very involved with his upbringing. The son is rebellious to the mother's gentle guidance and strives to win the approval of his emotionally distant father. Mitch Albom has such an ear for the every day dialog that occurs in a family's home. The mother is steadfastly devoted to her son, even as he openly prefers his father's "manly" style.

This is the third book I've read by Mitch, and a constant thread in these 3 books is that someone cares and makes it known to the recipients with a combination of deeds and words. Also, often, the caring is not immediately recognized or appreciated. However, over time, the care receiver sees the care shining through and feels blessed by it.

After reading this book, I spent a lot of time thinking about my mother and what I would say and do if I could spend just one more day with her. I would ask her what she liked about how I turned out, how she liked my 3 adult children, and how she liked the way I renovated her old house before I sold it 6 years ago.

For those of you who lost a beloved parent, give this book a try.. Then spend some time thinking about having that parent with you for a day, just the two of you. Mitch Albom inspires you to think about your life from a different perspective. Who in your life loved you and gave their all on your behalf? Reading this book will make you a little sad, but eventually, you'll smile more whenever you think about that special parent.
on May 21, 2017
I had to read the other reviews before sitting down to write mine. I'm glad to see there were others who also weren't bowed over by this story. Yes, it is an endearing mother/son story. And yes I do believe there isn't anyone out there who wouldn't want one more day with someone with which they feel the need to make amends. But, I really don't need to read about it. I like more ghost in my story. I could say I'm sorry I just didn't find this book to my liking, but who exactly would that apology be going out to? Maybe the ghost, because she is the mother. And what mother isn't the glue that holds a family together. She is the ghost even before she becomes the dearly departed who allows those she loves to shine their own light at it's brightest. So, yes, sorry, mom, the book is just OK in my view.
on April 20, 2016
Can Mitch Albon write a bad book? Every book I have read from this author have just been outstanding. This is a favorite I think. I would give the world to spend one day with my Mom. This book speaks to everyone. We all have Moms. I had the best Mom. She developed Alzheimer's in her 70's. By the time she died on Christmas day 2013 I had an up close personal education on Alzheimer's and it sucks. These books are a quick read and he always brings something up that relates to any reader. I highly recommend this book and any book written by Mitch Albon.
on September 10, 2012
Some authors are very special to some people. Apparently Mitch Albom is very special to many, many people, hence his best selling status. I thought I had read all his books when I ran across a piece letting me know that Albom was going to be coming out with a book in September of 2012 called "The Timekeeper". I put the article down and went to Amazon.com to pre-order the book. Mitch Albom is one of those authors, for me, that I want to read his books hot off the presses. While pre-ordering his new book, I discovered that in fact I had missed his last book, "For One More Day". I was upset but immediately set upon ordering the book. It was vintage Mitch Albom. If you like Albom's material, you will like the book which deals with the amount of time we have in life for the important things. It's a story of an ex-ballplayer who would've done things very differently if he had the wisdom and perspective he did when he was aged. If you like "Tuesday's With Maury" or "Five People You Meet in Heaven" or any of his other books, then "For One More Day" is a must read. Of course, I can't get enough of Mr. Albom's material because he doesn't come out with books often enough for me. That's why I have to read his material in the Detroit Free Press where he is a sports writer and I record every Sunday the show on ESPN "The Sports Reporters" because he is on it every so often. I thank the Universe for creating Mitch Albom!
on March 3, 2014
Hi. This book was really thought provoking for any adult who has thought that they do not spend enough time with their Moms. Or for those that find in difficult to make time for their Moms. It truely touches the heart and makes us realize how special the love of a real Mom is. Not all of us have Moms that truely give to us unselfishly and make a lifetime of sacrifices for us but for those of us that do this is a touching book without making us feel too guilty if we are a bit guilty. It also provokes the idea of if we can indeed have one more day with a lost and cherished loved one. I enjoyed this book and I recommend it. It will make you laugh and it will bring you to tears. Both depending on the relationship you have or had with your Mom.Peace and Blessings.
on September 18, 2015
Meet Chick Benetto (Charley). He's faced a life of emotional pain enduring unfulfilled ambitions, alcohol abuse, divorce, an estranged daughter, a broken childhood home, and an extremely shortened pro baseball career. To say his life has been unfulfilling is an understatement.
Chick returns to his abandoned childhood home after two bungled suicide attempts. Chick gets "One more day" after encountering the spirit of his deceased mom. Chick thoughtlessly took her for granted during childhood and through his less than stellar adult life.
Miraculously, Chick can now apologize to mom for his ingratitude regarding the sacrifices she made as a single, working mother. He lied, his way through life, drank heavily, made one bad decision after another. He respected no one, not even himself. The author tells his story beautifully, particularly in Chick's recollections of his mother's wisdom. Mr. Albom gives mom (Pauline) a great deal of depth and a complex character which spans familiar ideas of motherhood in the '50s. The gentle, knowing ways of Pauline provide Chick with an unconditional love, even in death. She's a likeable, lovable woman; though I had a hard time feeling empathy for him.

In the end, Mr. Albom provides the reader with a short epilogue which brings this very loving story to a heartening end. Albom's books are thought provoking and this one is no different.
on May 5, 2017
A thought-provoking quick read. I, too, lost my mother earlier than we ever thought would happen and the tale of shame is one I know (but not for the same reason's as Chick's), so this book is life-applicable. I wish I could have that one more day. A well-told ghost story, Mitch Albom. Bravo.
on November 24, 2015
I hadn't read anything by Mitch Albom since "Tuesdays with Morrie" many years ago. I saw his appearance on Fox & Friends and decided to order his newest book. While on the Amazon site I also bought his three previous books, and I was totally blown away by his writing style and his ability to make me believe there's more to the afterlife than I'd believed previously.
on December 29, 2014
I loved this book so much; having lost my oldest son this past June I was so touched and moved that as soon as I finished, I turned to page one and started all over again. Made me sad, yet inspired; all I want is just one more day with my boy. He passed away unexpectedly and tragically and I never got a chance to say goodbye or get that last hug and kiss and I love you Mom that I would get each time we visited. Our last 2 conversations were via the phone (2 days before he died) and via text (1 day before he slipped into a week long coma which he never came out of). I feel like I can't let him go because I need that proper goodbye...... This book left me feeling like maybe one day I'll get my wish.
on March 9, 2017
Love this book, and the movie, I lost my mother in 2012 and this book talks about a grown man seeing his mother for one more day, can't tell you more without giving it away, good book