Forbidden Planet [HD DVD]
• IMPORTANT NOTICE: This high-definition disc will only play in an HD DVD player. It will not play in a standard-definition DVD player, Blu-ray player, or PS3.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
A word of warning though, the Ultimate Collector's Edition is a bit of a rip off. The included Robby the Robot toy was the main reason I bought this set and it's much smaller (and less detailed) than the images lead you to believe. I haven't opened mine, but it looks like it's not even articulated. Definitely not worth the extra money I had to pay. The lobby card reporductions are nice, as is the tin case, but unless you plan to display these it's hard to justify the added cost.
Be smart, skip the Ultimate Collector's Edition and buy the 50th Anniversary Edition. You'll get just the exact same transfer and bonus material without the cheap toy and lobby cards.
The Ultimate Collector's Edition metal box set is described on its' outer, partial card stock cover--and be careful when removing this as it's tricky and can be easily torn--as being made of a "unique metal alloy." (Hmm. Indestructible Krell metal perhaps???) Frankly, this deluxe set is everything I had hoped it would be, though I do have some quibble(see below). Overall, though, it's a beautiful package. One of the best super-deluxe DVD sets ever produced. It even includes a proper *gunmetal gray* 3.5" Robby (not black, as some supposed "film experts" have asserted for years) and a set of smallish FP lobby card reproductions in a printed sleeve. As an extra bonus for this release, you also get Robby's other 50s science fiction film "The Invisible Boy" and a set of smallish lobby card repros for it, too.
At last this science fiction masterpiece (classic just isn't good enough) has gotten the super-deluxe treatment--and complete digital restoration--it has long deserved. The digital picture and 5.1 sound are a marvel. FP has never looked or sounded this good--ever!Read more ›
The story is about a spacecraft sent to learn what exactly happened to a previous spacecraft and its' crew, which had been deployed many years prior, and has since not been heard from in some time. This current mission is under the command of Commander John J. Adams (Nielsen), and soon find themselves on approach to the destination planet of the now lost ship. On their arrival, they get an ominous message, from the planet, issued by a member of the original crew, Dr. Edward Morbius (Pidgeon). Despite his warnings, they land and are soon met by a robot named Robby, who escorts them to Morbius' rather posh abode. Here we learn all the members of that fated crew have been killed off, except for Morbius and his daughter (whom Morbius had when he procreated with another member of the original crew), Altaira (Francis), by some unseen, yet completely nasty, force, to which Morbius and his daughter seem immune.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
one of the finest in its time great special effects for the scifi buff one of the sifi flicks that started all like gene barrys war of the worlds classic... Read morePublished 2 days ago by joseph f caulfield
Surprisingly well done. The message is valid now, as it has been for eons.Published 9 days ago by Sealight
Remember, this movie was made in 1956. Robbie the robot, the plot, costumes, all forward thinking for that era.Published 9 days ago by Michael R Bonuchi
Despite its antiquity, it still stands proudly up to modern standards. What a fabulous story. One of the absolute best Sci Fi movies in history.Published 16 days ago by LorickR
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > HD DVD
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Classics
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Monsters & Mutants
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Robots & Androids
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Sci-Fi Action
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Horror
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Sci-Fi & Fantasy