Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on September 15, 2016
I loved this book! Yes I say it a lot but if it's true it's true.

The characters are compelling. The story of Grace and Sam has a poetic flow that sweeps you from page to page. I wanted to bundle Sam up and take him home with me. There are so many parts throughout the whole trilogy that are heart wrenching. With so many werewolf stories out there, it is difficult to stand out from the pack. Yes pun intended. Shiver manages to do so from the first few pages. The seasons, the love story, the loss... You have GOT to read this.

I've read the whole series several times now and something new always comes to light. Another piece falls into place or another question forms. The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy has become one of my favorites. It you enjoyed these books you might want to check out The Dire Wolves Chronicles by Alyssa Rose Ivy. It has a similar tone and texture.
on December 31, 2015
Nice read if you're in 8th grade or a freshman in highschool. Just seemed too young for my liking. I'm 19. I thought it would be fun. My mistake. I know the grade level and age group is for younger people but I've read al lot of young adult, new teen fiction and really liked them. Like the Darkest Minds trilogy by Alexandra Bracken and the Legend trilogy by Marie Lu are very awesome and those two authors are my all time favorite. This book just didn't grab my attention. I ended up giving it to my teenage brother but he's too cool for books like that so its at goodwill. Somebody will appreciate it.(p.s. It's in the 1st person point of view)(alternating from the wolf boy and girl..I think)
3 people found this helpful
on March 18, 2015
Actual rating: 3.5

I thought Shiver was a very sweet love story. Grace and Sam's romance was captured beautifully in the writing. Maggie Stiefvater's writing is so poetic and it really added depth and richness to the story. For me, the book was never boring. However, I can see how some people might become bored reading Shiver, because there isn't a lot of action, and it is more slower paced than other Young Adult series. But, I don't need a lot of action to be entertained by a book, and I actually enjoyed the book's pace.

I liked both of the main characters and I loved their relationship. Was it a bit love-at-first-sight? Yeah it was. But to me, it was as superficial as that. I thought the way Grace and Sam's relationship evolved was much more mature and innocent than other character relationship in other books/series.

The storyline was engaging, but not one I was completely immersed in. Maybe it's because I'm not into the whole werewolf-human romance thing. However, I did think it was more unique than other werewolf stories, with the idea that they transform into a wolf in cold weather.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I liked the characters and their relationships. The story flowed really well and the writing was gorgeous. Much of the book was focused on the romance and the relationship of main two characters. Again, that didn't bug me, but for people who don't enjoy a more love driven story, this probably isn't the book for them.
3 people found this helpful
on January 18, 2016
I really enjoyed this series. I devoured it in a matter of weeks. This is supposedly the last book in the series however, there is another installment which has Cole and Isabelle. I'm thinking as for the main characters of Grace and Sam, this is the last book since there isn't really anywhere for them to go. The end is wonderful and leaves the reader wondering what happens. Happy ending? Not exactly sure.

This is definitely a young adult series. This takes place with high school students but it doesn't read too much like a juvenile story. The characters are all around seventeen so there are some teenage antics however, they all seem more grown-up than some of the adults in the story.

This book is another long one but it goes pretty quickly and kept my interest throughout. There were a few pages that I skimmed over but for the most part it was fast paced and exciting.
on February 23, 2014
Maggie Stiefvater’s (MS) writing calls to me. I have enjoyed every story I’ve read by her so far. A lot of it just has to do with the beautiful way she puts words together to paint pictures in my mind. Like Shiver, Linger is not full of action and suspense but it is a story about people and I’m drawn into it all the same wondering what will happen to these characters.

I liked Shiver because it was a love story about two people overcoming incredible odds and accepting each other for exactly who and what they were. Both Sam and Grave were alone in their own ways and finding each other in human form filled some missing part that had been there for the six years since Grace had been attacked by wolves.

I like Linger for different reasons. There is still the hopelessly sweet love between Sam and Grace that is simple and complex and always filled with that great sense of against all odds and forever. I enjoyed seeing them through the eyes of the two new characters POVs as well.

-- “He'd only been gone two seconds, but the room got brighter when they were together, as if they were two elements that became brilliant in proximity. At Sam's clumsy efforts to carry the vacuum, Grace smiled a new smile that I thought only he ever got, and he shot her a withering look full of the sort of subtext you could only get from a lot of conversations whispered after dark.

But I also really like Cole. Sam is the sweet do anything for you boy and Cole is the exact opposite all angst and anger, selfishness and self-loathing. I totally believed the reasons he gave for wanting to become a wolf.

-- “Once upon a time… there was a boy named Cole St. Clair, and he could do anything. And the weight of that possibility was so unbearable that he crushed himself before it had a chance to.”

As the story of his past unfolded I understood parts of why he was so dark and the mistakes that led him to that moment when he decided that being a wolf would be everything the drugs didn’t bring to him anymore. The way Cole meets Isabel is one of my favorite scenes and I like the stark contrast of the relationship they share as compared to the one that Grace and Sam have.

“Aren't you afraid?'
'Of what?'
'Of losing yourself.'
'That's what I'm hoping for.”

The metamorphosis of Cole in this story is huge. He comes a long way and I completely enjoyed his view of the other characters in the story. He has an interesting perspective and his perception of how each interacts really amazed me. Cole is beyond broken and even though his past is full of douchbaggery I really was pulling for him to start over and be a better version of himself.

Isabel is the ‘tell it like it is’ girl. She says the hard thing unfiltered undiluted and sometimes it is needed to shock the characters into an action of some sort. She has no pity for those in her group and yet I find that I like the friend that she has become to Sam and Grace. Her interactions with Cole are not what he expects and I love how that totally throws him of his game.

I would have loved to see more Rachel in this book. She gets some of the finniest lines and I love how she refers to all the other characters. She has a catchy name for each and it really added some comic relief to some of the tension. Rachel always refers to Sam as The Boy and her names for Isabel are creative and fitting.

-- “Or even tell me it's because you could not live without The Boy's stunning Boyfruits for another night..."
Sam's face was twisted into a weird shape at the mention of his Boyfruits.”

Sam and Grace are still the main draw for me and it will be interesting to see what happens in forever after the ending to this one. I hated Graces parents a little for being gone for her life for so long and now finally taking an interest and trivializing her relationship to Sam. Normally I’d say yeah your seventeen what do you know about love. But I ship them so I don’t care how young they seem, Grace saw him when he was another species and loved him then for six years so I’m going to cut them some slack and call it an epic destiny.

Sam is a great beta boy and Cole is an interesting addition as the bad boy. Now that they will be living together it will be interesting to see how they affect one another.

Side Note: I listened to this on Audiobook and loved it. I have loved all MS’s books on Audio so far, The Scorpio Races the most though. There was a different narrator for each POV and that made the story all the better for me. I highly recommend this series on Audio as well there is just something about MS’s writing style that lends itself beautifully to being read out loud.
on November 20, 2013
I love this series. I love Forever. I love Maggie Stiefvater. And I love how often tears formed in my eyes and how often I smiled and ached and yet, this is not a sad story. It’s just emotional. And Forever was perhaps my favorite book in the trilogy. It was beautiful and tragic and hopeful.

I don’t think I can do this series justice by talking about it. I feel like there are so many things to be analyzed and discussed. Not only is the writing style worth discussing, but nearly every aspect of the story is, as well. The wolves and everything about how their pack worked is worth discussing. The relationship between Sam and Grace, the way they compliment and complete each other despite their obvious differences is another thing worth discussing. The way that Maggie Stiefvater created a love story that represents the kind of love that should be respected, admired, and attained just makes my heart melt. The relationships between Sam and Beck, Sam and his biological parents, Isabel and her parents, and Grace and her parents are all different, complicated, and I could probably spend hours discussing what those differences are and why each of those relationships are significant and what they mean for the growth and well being of a child. Cole and his own struggle with his past was complicated and interesting. The relationship between Cole and Isabel was significant, too. And that is not all worth discussing. How would I even begin?

The books in the series aren’t very long, but they are the kind of books I sort of fell into and lingered inside of. It took me far longer to finish the series than it should have based on page number, interest, and my reading speed. But the way it was formatted had me stopping and thinking and the writing style forced to me slow my reading speed to some degree. To me, these are good things. I spent enough time in the books and I am glad the author was able to make the books feel longer in a positive way.

The emotions rolling through me while reading Forever were all over the place. I was full of hope, anger, sadness, happiness, love, concern, angst, fear, worry, satisfaction, anticipation, and a handful of other emotions. It was the kind of book that had me crying, though I couldn’t quite figure out why I was so emotional when nothing bad was happening. It was the kind of book that just demands emotional investment.

I highly recommend the series. I thought I’d only mildly enjoy it and if I’m being honest, I wasn’t drawn to the books at all. They didn’t sound very good. If you strip the plot down and tell someone what it’s about, it almost sounds dumb. It certainly could have been terrible quite easily. But it was magical and amazing and profound. I am such a huge fan of Maggie Stiefvater and this series is perhaps the greatest example of why she’s amazing. I’m not sure it is my favorite work of hers, but it was certainly the most surprising.
on December 4, 2014
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater provides a modern twist to the classic werewolf story. However with the recent popularity of vampires and werewolves in young adult literature, the premise didn't seem particularly unique or engaging.

After the excitement of the first couple chapters, the middle section of the book seemed ordinary. The school and friendship scenes were typical YA and I considered skimming the rest of the book. However the final third of the book really picked up speed with the focus on finding a cure.

The teen romance aspects were better than I expected. It's easy to make comparisons to Twilight. I liked both Grace and Sam much better than Bella, Edward, and Jacob. Grace is independent, smart, caring, and funny. I want to be her friend. I particularly like that Grace doesn't change for Sam. She's a thinker and makes her own decisions.

Maggie Stiefvater is also a much better writer than Stephenie Meyer. Stiefvater's writing style is smooth, solid, concise, and easy-to-read. Her prose is beautiful with great imagery. The dialogue is realistic and the descriptions of young love, pain, and longing are right on target. I enjoyed how the author switched between the perspectives of Grace and Sam from chapter to chapter. The introduction of the temperature was an interesting way to build suspense.

However, I found the story light on plot and heavy on convenient, predictable events.

While I'm not likely to run out and get the next book in the series, I would recommend it to teens who like supernatural themes. Actually, I'd recommend Shiver before Twilight because I think Grace is a much better role model than Bella.
on October 4, 2017
This book is from Grace and Sam's view, each chapter alternates between characters. Grace has a pull towards the wolves who many find dangerous, Grace though feels drawn to them and seems to understand at least one of them more than the others.

I thought this was interesting but did think it was like the second Twilight book at least the way the story went. Overall intriguing but I thought it became convoluted in places and didn't really feel the connection to the characters. Great cover and glad I did read it, had been in my TBR for quite awhile.
on November 10, 2014
Yes, this seems to be a Twilight in reverse. The main character Grace is basically obsessed with werewolves instead of vampires. So it's a team Joseph kind of book for the Twilight fans. I was prepared to hate it for that reason alone. But it got really good reviews so I decided to give it a chance. This book is somewhat more original than twilight. Grace has always been obsessed with the wolves behind her house, one wolf in particular. This book tells the story from two viewpoints: Grace and Sam. Sam is the yellow eyed wolf that Grace is obsessed with. During the summer, he lives as a human. But when winter comes, he turns into a wolf. They are drawn to each other and soon fall in love. The writing was very beautiful and poetic, but Sam got somewhat annoying. I have never known a seventeen year old boy to write as much poetry as Sam does. This was the first book I read by Maggie Stiefvater, but it will not be my last.
on April 24, 2013
Originally posted on 5/14/12 at Melissa's Bookshelf.

Well, to be blunt and 100% honest, one sentence in the synopsis taken from the dust jacket sums up the way I feel about this book and this series: "That should have been the end of their story." For me, The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy has gone downhill with each successive book. I loved Shiver -- in and of itself it was a delicious read and actually felt like it could have been (and really should have been) the end of the story of Grace and Sam. I was happy when I finished that book and it really felt like a story that had been wrapped up and tied with a pretty little bow.

Forever was not wrapped up at all. A gaping hole with a giant question mark is what I felt like I came to when I reached the end. Yes, the title implies "forever," but the ending just doesn't make me feel "forever." It's more like I'll be forever wondering what happened to Grace, Sam, Isabel, Cole, and everyone else, except that I don't think I plan to waste much time thinking about it. I suppose I should have realized after reading Linger and not enjoying it as much as Shiver, that perhaps I should be wary of the last book in the trilogy, but unless books just get progressively awful for me or I have a change in taste/preferences, I usually feel like I have to finish a series.

Oh, how I wish I'd just read Shiver and enjoyed my happily ever after. It's not that there weren't some exciting parts in Forever. The efforts to save the wolves and give them a new home made for a dramatic read and I did enjoy that aspect. I also appreciated more from Isabel's and Cole's point of view, but again, there was no closure for the two of them, either. I can live with being left hanging if I know that there is another book coming, but this is it, folks. There is no more.

Other things I appreciated: (1) The research that Stiefvater mentioned she had done on wolves in her Author's Note. I felt like what she had written about the nature of the characters as wolves seemed quite realistic and I definitely thought it added to the story. (2) The story was told from multiple points of view. I liked hearing Isabel's and Cole's voices and not focusing entirely on Grace and Sam. I guess I felt that way because I was a little bit tired of the way Grace and Sam's story was headed at this point. But the things I did appreciate saved Forever from getting a negative rating, in the end. After all, I do try to be fair.

My final thoughts are simple. If you haven't read this series yet, read Shiver and leave it at that. Enjoy that story for the satisfaction it provides and re-read it to your heart's content. I'm not sure if I'll be able to re-read it because I know how the rest of the story ends (or doesn't).