Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 527 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 709 reviews
on July 31, 2015
The story line of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is nothing completely new or all that complex. The movie starts off with Peter Bretter, played by Jason Segel, who ends up getting broken up by Sarah Marshall, played by Kristen Bell, his celebrity girlfriend of 5 years. I thought that I was going to see a movie that has been done a million times and will laugh at a few dirty jokes. Surprisingly enough, Jason Segel knows his way around writing and acting. For a man who has never played a lead character or written his own screenplay he was very impressive.

One thing that not everyone realizes is that the full frontal nudity scene was not in the movie just for laughs. We have him nude in the beginning because Sarah has completely stripped him of everything and she couldn't accept who he really is, his true nakedness. And if you watch the movie (I don't want to spoil it too much) you will see this motif happen again later in the film. Yes, it is very funny to see Peter standing naked while he is getting dumped, but it also served a purpose.

Throughout the film we get witty and fresh characters that continue to make us laugh. The bar tender from South Central always stirs up laughs and the Christian couple on their honeymoon will have you grabbing your sides. Not to mention the incredible character of Aldous Snow played by Russel Brand. I know many people are not a fan of Brand, but my friends and I just can't get enough of him. His amazing improv throughout the film and ridiculous attitude is all part of his humor.

If some of you are asking how it stands up to the other comedies of the year, I must say FSM trumps all. Tropic Thunder is a close second for me, but the closeness that this will have with people that have gone through difficult breakups will have them laughing a bit more.

Last thing I want to say is the three disc collectors edition is well worth every penny. All the special features are hilarious and definitely worth the view. They share stories of Russel Brand's first audition to how Jason felt watching his nude scenes with his mom and little sister. We also get some insight from Nick Stoller and how he felt directing his first film and being part of the Apatow gang. The best part about this DVD, and should be true about all other Unrated editions, is that you can choose to watch either the unrated or theatrical version. Personally I prefer the theatrical version because it flows better, but give the unrated a view for their extra jokes. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is a film that will not soon be forgotten.
on April 9, 2013
Unfortunately, "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," like a lot of romantic comedies, is based on a plot device that is more than slightly far-fetched. (Boy loses girl, goes on swell vacation thousands of miles from home to try and, well, forget her and guess what? There she is. In a bikini, no less.) While this story isn't likely to happen, you forgive everything because of the people telling it. Jason Segal, Kristen Bell. Mila Kunis and Russell Brand have the leads. But while most movies hire unknown actors (who still might be very good) for the supporting roles, Director Nicholas Stoller somehow got Jonah Hill, Paul Rudd and Jason Bateman (among others) to make even their minor roles a joy to watch. There's a great Hollywood saying that goes, "Directing is what you do to make up for the mistakes you made in casting." Mr. Stoller made no mistakes at all. I can easily say, "Enjoy it!" because I know you will.
on June 8, 2014
I usually get bored with romantic comedies or find that they self-destruct halfway through in terms of plot and entertainment value, but Sarah Marshall does neither and is one of my favorite movies of all time. The script is tight and well-written, the characters are just genius (thank you Nicholas Stoller), and the actors portraying them all knock it out of the ballpark. I prefer the unrated version but both are very funny. I find it uplifting as well - it put me in a good mood and positive frame of mind. Love this movie.
on November 25, 2015
I love Jason Segel and Russell Brand so this move was very enjoyable to watch. I think it's a scenario we can all relate to in a sense - a relationship ends and seeing your former significant other moving on with someone else can be difficult and awkward. The movie is very funny. It's not going to win any Academy Awards, but it wasn't meant to. It's a fun movie to sit back and enjoy watching. I am happy to have it as a part of my digital movie library and have already watched it twice!
on January 23, 2017
Ugh, why Kristen Bell, why? Jason Segel is painted as some of victim in this movie, but the only really authentic part in the whole movie is when Sarah Marshall has a heart to heart about how hard she tried, but later somehow she is still the devil?

On the other hand, the music in this is pretty damn funny from the Dracula musical to the rock star scenes. All the acting is pretty impressive too, but... the movie is way too sexualized and really would have done better to explore some other comic roots.
on June 30, 2009
This movie is a great comedy whose heart is in the right place. In the same vein as Superbad and 40 Year Old Virgin this movie tackles small topics that make you laugh. Laugh a lot, I did. Written and starring by Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother), the story follows Peter (Segel) a musician that records scores for television. Peter takes a vacation to Hawaii after a devastatingly humorous breakup with his TV actress girlfriend, Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell). Hilarity continues as Peter runs into his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend, a wildly famous raunchy british rocker, Aldous Snow (Russell Brand) right at the front counter of the hotel. Might I mention, he is conveniently checking in with the desk clerk, Rachel Jansen (Mila Kunis). Other highlights of humor come from small but import parts from Jonah Hill, Paul Rudd, a newlywed couple trying to consummate the marriage, and some of the actors playing the locals.

This movie is a must-see!!!
on April 23, 2014
I saw this movie in theaters multiple times, bought the OST, and the Special Edition DVD as soon as they were available. I have never done that with any movie before.

I don't know why, but this movie just gets me everytime. I think is the Jason Segel role that really made me appreciate him as an actor and soon after I became a huge HIMYM fan.

Every single actor plays their part perfectly. It is seriously the best rom-com out there, great laughs for the guys, romance for the girls and just fun for all. 6 years after first seeing it on the big screen and I still love this movie!
on December 20, 2014
An all star cast about a man trying to get over his ex girlfriend who kinds of stalks her and her new boyfriend in Hawaii. Jason Segel is the ex, Kristen Bell the girlfriend, and Russell Brand the new boyfriend, and Jason Segel develops a crush on a new girl he meets while in Hawaii, Mila Kunis. The rock opera that Jason performs with puppets is creative, entertaining, and hilarious.;The movie is certainly only appropriate for MA, while there is innocent fun there is foul language and casual sex, which is graphic. This did nothing to add to the movie and gave it a juvenile component. So c;liche'.Would have been more believable without it.
on January 9, 2017
It's one of the best movies ever made. At least for me. Very good cast, and very funny!
on March 6, 2017
The item arrived as described in the correct packaging.