- File Size: 1215 KB
- Print Length: 186 pages
- Publisher: David C. Cook (September 1, 2009)
- Publication Date: September 1, 2009
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B005MT8PUQ
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#11,818 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Growth
- #2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Pneumatology
- #5 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Growth
|Digital List Price:||$15.99|
|Print List Price:||$16.99|
Save $9.51 (56%)
Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 186 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $3.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
Matchbook Price: $1.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
The Strength You Need
The popular new release from Robert Morgan. Learn more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
There have been many books written over the years about what to believe about the Holy Spirit. Battle lines have been drawn between churches and denominations about when the Holy Spirit shows up, how He does it, and what is supposed to happen next. Chan has no axe to grind with theological debates and steers away from these often bloodstained battlegrounds. Instead he writes how Christians in western culture, regardless of what they say they believe about the third member of the Trinity, live as though the Holy Spirit had long since retired.
In seven easy to read chapters Chan covers the following topics:
* The role of the Holy Spirit as Jesus' promised gift.
* Fears and concerns about the Holy Spirit
* How theology about the Holy Spirit has more to do with how a person lives than what they say they believe.
* Motivations around the Holy Spirit and his power.
* What a relationship with the Holy Spirit can really be like.
* Letting go of manipulation and control by trusting the Holy Spirit.
* Living in true community with the Holy Spirit and with others.
For a book to be as hard hitting on these themes as it is, this tone Chan takes hardly comes across as a harsh reprimand. There is a gentleness and humility that flow through these chapters, possibly because the author often uses his shortcomings as examples. It is balanced with his unbridled passion for something better. It is a contagious proposition.Read more ›
My personal take-aways from this book (not all new, but worthwhile reminders):
1) Try to spend more time throughout the day acknowledging the presence of God and Spirit.
2) Pray more often and more specifically: for guidance, for inspiration, and for others.
3) Intentionally listen for the "still small voice" and expect to hear it.
4) Beware of good-intentioned quenching of the Spirit in myself and others.
5) Quit trying to do things on my own steam -- rest in God's love and power.
6) Remember that the cultivation of a relationship -- whether with God or others -- is not done by wishing or waiting for the other party, but only by an investment of time and intention to it.
It is easy to fake the presence of the Spirit, isn't it? "Let's be honest: If you combine a charismatic speaker, a talented worship band, and some hip, creative events, people will attend your church. Yet this does not mean that the Holy Spirit of God is actively working and moving in the lives of the people who are coming.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
An important message for all Christians, but especially those whose fire has gone out or may be smoldering.Published 3 days ago by Phil Gould
This book was recommended to me by a mentor and I think that anyone looking for a closer relationship with the Holy Spirit and a better understanding of Him, this book is a great... Read morePublished 3 days ago
This book is a great reminder of the Holy Spirit living within believers. Sometimes we forget how blessed we are to have God with us at All times and in All situations.Published 3 days ago by Kadi H. Tubbs
Christians need to know that they are directed by the Holy Spirit living inside of us and must yeild to Him to direct our lives.. Read morePublished 12 days ago by nick morris
If your church neglects the charismatic aspect this book is for you. If you need instruction in the power and purpose of the Holy Spirit this book is also for you.Published 12 days ago by Amazon Customer
I thought it was going to be an in depth study of the Holy Spirit. It was everything but that! I think Chan forgot what his subject was, or didn't have much to say about it. Read morePublished 13 days ago by W. Moore
great book for Christians! easy to read and has a lot of wisdomPublished 17 days ago by Amazon Customer
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Living > Spiritual Growth
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Growth
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Pneumatology
- Books > Religion & Spirituality
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Living > Spiritual Growth
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Growth
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Pneumatology