- File Size: 1215 KB
- Print Length: 186 pages
- Publisher: David C. Cook (September 1, 2009)
- Publication Date: September 1, 2009
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B005MT8PUQ
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#34,140 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #3 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Growth
- #4 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Pneumatology
- #14 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Pneumatology
|Digital List Price:||$15.99|
|Print List Price:||$16.99|
Save $9.51 (56%)
Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 186 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $3.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
Matchbook Price: $1.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
There have been many books written over the years about what to believe about the Holy Spirit. Battle lines have been drawn between churches and denominations about when the Holy Spirit shows up, how He does it, and what is supposed to happen next. Chan has no axe to grind with theological debates and steers away from these often bloodstained battlegrounds. Instead he writes how Christians in western culture, regardless of what they say they believe about the third member of the Trinity, live as though the Holy Spirit had long since retired.
In seven easy to read chapters Chan covers the following topics:
* The role of the Holy Spirit as Jesus' promised gift.
* Fears and concerns about the Holy Spirit
* How theology about the Holy Spirit has more to do with how a person lives than what they say they believe.
* Motivations around the Holy Spirit and his power.
* What a relationship with the Holy Spirit can really be like.
* Letting go of manipulation and control by trusting the Holy Spirit.
* Living in true community with the Holy Spirit and with others.
For a book to be as hard hitting on these themes as it is, this tone Chan takes hardly comes across as a harsh reprimand. There is a gentleness and humility that flow through these chapters, possibly because the author often uses his shortcomings as examples. It is balanced with his unbridled passion for something better. It is a contagious proposition.Read more ›
My personal take-aways from this book (not all new, but worthwhile reminders):
1) Try to spend more time throughout the day acknowledging the presence of God and Spirit.
2) Pray more often and more specifically: for guidance, for inspiration, and for others.
3) Intentionally listen for the "still small voice" and expect to hear it.
4) Beware of good-intentioned quenching of the Spirit in myself and others.
5) Quit trying to do things on my own steam -- rest in God's love and power.
6) Remember that the cultivation of a relationship -- whether with God or others -- is not done by wishing or waiting for the other party, but only by an investment of time and intention to it.
It is easy to fake the presence of the Spirit, isn't it? "Let's be honest: If you combine a charismatic speaker, a talented worship band, and some hip, creative events, people will attend your church. Yet this does not mean that the Holy Spirit of God is actively working and moving in the lives of the people who are coming.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Thoughtful read on the importance of Holy Spirit in the life of Christians.Published 2 days ago by Andrew
Pretty good book and it was delivered in a timely manner. I have had no issues and i appreciate the smooth transaction. Thanks... I truly appreciate it.Published 2 days ago by Brandon
I have neglected the Holy Spirit in the past few years. This book biblically explains the Holy Spirit's importance in the life of the believer! Thank you Frances Chan!Published 5 days ago by Corky K.
I really wanted to read a book about the Holy Spirit. This book offered great insight.Published 9 days ago by Capital CIty Z
Love the author! Easy to understand! Teaches all about the Holy Spirit in a real way!Published 12 days ago by Nancy Owen
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Living > Spiritual Growth
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Growth
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Pneumatology
- Books > Religion & Spirituality
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Living > Spiritual Growth
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Growth
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Pneumatology