Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on August 3, 2012
When you look at the science and follow the teachings of Drs. McDougall, Esselstyn, Ornish, Greger, Barnard, Lederman, Pulde, Pam Popper ND, T Colin Campbell PhD et al, and such notable dietitians as Jeff Novick RD, Julieanna Hever RD and take this wisdom and the brilliance of chef Del Sroufe and his collection of elite plant based chefs you have a winner of a book at a RIDICULOUSLY reasonable price. This is a gorgeous full sized book with beautiful color photos and very creative and easy to follow recipes. The ingredients are common and familiar to most making this a book that is very useable to those new to plant based cooking as well as the veteran vegan! Very pleased with this book. These healthy and delicious looking recipes are low fat, whole food, plant based with no added oil. Clearly the most healthy way to eat if you follow the science. Only criticism would be some of the dessert recipes by Isa Moskowitz that can use to one cup of sugar! YIKES!!!! Hard to call that healthy. But the desserts are a small part of the book and there are some desserts that actually use little to no sugar and just the sweetness of fruits. Overall A HIT! Highly recommended.
1111 comments| 191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2013
This is one that I have been on a serious mission to cook my way through. On top of all the great advice and information, this book has quickly become a staple in our kitchen. I have tried too many to list in a proper amount of time, but I'll share the recipes that were hits and the ones that were misses and leave out the ones that were just okay.

Hits
Tofu Mayonnaise: So easy and such a healthy replacement to other vegan mayos.

Cauliflower Béchamel: Hands down my favorite sauce to toss over pasta. It's creamy without the cream. A recipe later in the book "Penne with Spinach Béchamel" has quickly become a staple in our house.

Gingerbread Smoothie: Need I say more?

Taco Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing: You will not miss any flavor in this healthy, zing-y salad. The dressing is divine.

Ponzu Noodle Salad and Cold Soba Noodles with Orange Miso Dressing: Both of these are great to make, plus they are cold noodle dishes, making it that much easier to make a big batch and eat off of them all week.

Citrusy Black Bean Taquitos: Epitome of easy and also delicious.

Polenta Pizza with Tomatoes and Basil: While this does not hold up like pizza, the flavors are really nice.

Tuscan-Style Shepherd's Pie: Another polenta recipe that just hits the spot.

Misses
"Cheesy" Potato Soup: The problem with this one is that I really don't like their "cheese" sauce, perhaps if I tried one that I liked, the soup would be a lot more appealing.

Lentil Chili: I guess to me, it's not really chili unless it's got beans in it. Just not for us.

Pad Thai: It seemed to miss everything that makes Pad Thai taste like Pad Thai. I suppose if I hadn't gone into it expecting it to taste like Pad Thai, I might have a different opinion, but if it's Pad Thai you are after, steer clear of this one.

Mac and "Cheese": Again, the problem lies in the cheese.

In summation, a good cookbook with a lot of simple, fat-free, heart-healthy meals. I used this cookbook a lot after the holidays when I felt I had just consumed too much oil-laden foods.
on September 6, 2012
I have the kindle version-and love it! It's easy to use-I can even read it on my I-Phone. Convenient when you are at the store trying to pick up things for tonight's dinner. Great, easy to follow recipes that taste delish! My husband and I watched the movie a few months ago, and I pre-ordered the cook book immediately. A perfect addition to anyone's cooking library. In March of this year (2012) I made the decision to go Vegan, and haven't looked back. I've suffered from extremely high blood pressure for the last 15 years, been extremely over weight, and just always felt tired, and never felt like I had a "good" day. Since March I have dropped 65 pounds, have clearer skin, and no longer have high blood pressure. (no kidding-and no medications) I still have more weight to lose, but I am confident that eating an entirely plant based diet is the key to optimum health, and my long-term weight loss goals. Do yourself and your family a favor, and educate yourself on the benefits of this lifestyle change. I promise you, when you realize what you have been doing to yourself all these years, you will be inspired to make the changes. The cook book is a great step in the right direction!
on September 19, 2012
I know that there are typos, but this book has been a godsend. I have a husband with inherited super high cholesterol and heart disease. He's had 2 heart attacks as a skinny fit guy and he's only in his early 30s. We are trying to switch over to eating according to Forks Over Knives at the recommendation of his cardiologist. This has been a really difficult transition because most of the vegan recipes I've found are either really expensive, soy-filled (which I try and avoid) or not really healthy after all. There are TONS of vegan recipes out there on the net but there are really not tons of low-fat vegan recipes. This has substantially expanded our eating options.
on December 26, 2012
More like "Heads Over Trashcans". This was really bad. Everything we have prepared from this book was inedible or borderline. I would agree with another reviewer here - perhaps it was the mistakes? Honestly, I hope it IS the mistakes. Whatever the cause, we are terribly disappointed. Not only are the recipes very time consuming, the ingredients are expensive (if they even are the right ingredients?). The documentary had us so excited, but the book just did not come close to meeting our expectations. Fail!
on May 4, 2014
I'm not vegan but I enjoy healthy eating. I saw the forks over knives documentary and read some health books so I wanted to get as healthy as possible. I had no experience with vegan cooking so I wanted to buy a good cookbook. This has great ratings but the recipes were horrible. I didn't try the desserts but I may try them at another time. I tried a handful of different recipes in this cookbook but each one either needs tweaking or just tastes bad. I didn't enjoy any of the recipes I've tried and I definitely wouldn't recommend this book to anyone at all.

One good vegan baking cookbook is Rawsome Vegan Baking. I really enjoyed that one.
VINE VOICEon December 30, 2013
Yes, there are many recipes but they require way too much time and money to prepare. The list of ingredients includes items I have never heard of. I am just a plain old former meat and potatoes type who is trying to improve my health and weight. I tried a few of these recipes and was underwhelmed. First I had to go to a couple of grocery stores and a health food store to find the ingredients. Then, it took an usually long time to prepare the meals. The result was some tasteless meals that were beyond repair.

I do not question the nutritional value of these recipes. But, for goodness sakes can't they be at least minimally tasteful? They don't have to be award winning but just simple and somewhat tasteful.

I am new to the plant food way of eating. I saw the Forks Over Knives movie and decided to change my eating regimen. Here is what a newbie like me is looking for in the way of a cookbook. First of all it would be helpful to have some weekly menus. The meals should consist of items commonly found in grocery stores. Last, but by no means least, the recipes should have at least a minute semblance of tastiness. I don't think that is asking too much. If anyone knows of such a book I would love to hear from you.
on September 12, 2012
I have been extremely disappointed with the recipes in this book. I'm not a novice cook, and I'm afraid that someone who might really be interested in changing their diet to eat for a healthier lifestyle might give up after trying to eat one of these recipes! They are poorly edited--on more than one occasion a recipe calls for an ingredient not included in the cooking instructions--and really bland and flavorless. I would recommend to anyone who is considering purchasing this book to save your money. I think any of the Moosewood Collective books would be a great start for someone trying to adhere to these new food rules.
on August 8, 2012
I love this book! There are recipes for every type of meal, including an amazing selection of low-fat desserts. The book focuses a lot on whole grains and fresh produce, but most of the ingredients used are easily accessible to anyone, (based on what I can find at my local non-specialty supermarket.)

I've been trying to get away from processed foods a lot recently, so it's nice to see a vegan cookbook entirely free of recipes with faux meat and non-dairy cheese substitutes. Also, a lot of the recipes do not include tofu, so if you're looking to lower your soy intake, this may be a good choice.
on August 9, 2012
I agree with another reviewer that it would have been nice to have photographs of the food next to the recipe itself rather than grouped with photo pages in this book. Plus, there were photos of only about 20 recipes.
The first recipe I made was on page 169, eggplant rollatini. There is a huge error in this recipe. The ingredient list calls for a pound of fresh spinach. However the instructions do not mention what to do with the spinach! So I was left guessing whether I was supposed to sauté it, use it raw, chop it, or what. Also, the instructions talk about spreading the millet mixture on the eggplant, but is unclear about what the mixture is composed of. The recipe itself is difficult and I used 4 different pans in preparing it. To have an incorrect recipe with all the pans is annoying. I hope the rest of the recipes are correct. I emailed the author about the incorrect recipe and hope he will be kind enough to reply. I just got this book and will give it 3 stars, with a possibility of increasing or decreasing the stars in the future depending on my experience with future recipes.
Update: I DID receive a prompt reply from the author who wrote the following: (Because of his reply the the fact that the recipe was tasty, I'm giving 4 stars. It would have been 5 stars if the photos had been with each recipe. I've asked Mr. Sroufe about how to obtain the correction sheet from the publisher.)
"hi Gail,
Thanks you for purchasing the book and I hope it provides you with years of good food. The publisher found a few errors and they are posting a correction sheet shortly
Here is the correction for your recipe. It is number 6 in the instructions.
Place the onion, celery, and carrot in a large saucepan and sauté over medium heat
for 7 to 8 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the vegetables from
sticking to the pan. Add 4 cloves of the garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Add the spinach, basil and
nutritional yeast (if using), and season with black pepper.. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes.
Thanks again,
Del Sroufe"
44 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse