Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Forks Over Knives―The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year Paperback – Illustrated, August 14, 2012
Books with Buzz
Discover the latest buzz-worthy books, from mysteries and romance to humor and nonfiction. Explore more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
Featured Recipe: Mushroom Stroganoff
Stroganoff originated in Russia as a beef dish served in a rich sour cream sauce. And though there are many versions of the original recipe, I prefer this plant-based one, made with rich porcini mushrooms and lots of fresh herbs.
- 2 large shallots, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons minced thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, stemmed and cut into large pieces
- 1 ounce porcini mushrooms, soaked for 30 minutes in 1 cup of hot water that has just been boiled
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 pound whole-grain fettuccine, cooked according to package directions, drained, and kept warm
- 1 cup Tofu Sour Cream (recipe follows)
- Chopped parsley
Place the shallots in a large skillet and sauté over a medium heat for 8 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep them from sticking. Add the garlic and thyme, and cook for another minute. Stir in the salt and pepper, rosemary, and the portobello mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the porcini mushrooms, and their soaking liquid, and the wine. Stir, and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
When the stroganoff is finished cooking, stir in the sour cream. Add the cooked noodles and toss well. Serve garnished with the parsley.
Tofu Sour Cream
Use this healthy dairy alternative in any dish that calls for sour cream. Serve it with baked potatoes and fresh chives, with tacos or enchiladas, or with Mushroom Stroganoff.
Makes 1½ cups
- 1 package extra firm lite silken tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth and creamy. Chill until ready to serve.
“Pure elegance. Del’s recipes show just how sophisticated plant-based cooking can be. If you think gourmet can’t be healthy, be delightfully disproved with this book.”
―Lindsay S. Nixon, author of The Happy Herbivore Cookbook, Everyday Happy Herbivore and Happy Herbivore Abroad
"The recipes in this book are versatile, simple to prepare and, most important, tasty."
"Forks Over Knives meals are good for the body―and the pocketbook."
"The arguments for a plant-based diet in a resource-strapped world are increasingly convincing: It's cheaper, better for the environment, and can be a healthier option."
"[Sroufe's] mean green smoothie is a nutrient-rich, fiber-filled, antioxidant-packed dream."
“These recipes are so delicious . . . you’ll never miss the fat.”
―Our Hen House
- Item Weight : 2.07 pounds
- Paperback : 368 pages
- ISBN-13 : 978-1615190614
- ISBN-10 : 1615190619
- Publisher : The Experiment; Illustrated Edition (August 14, 2012)
- Product Dimensions : 7.5 x 0.81 x 10 inches
- Language: : English
- Best Sellers Rank: #600 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews: