Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Forrest Gump (Chocolate Box Giftset) [Blu-ray]
Celebrity Picks 2016 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 1,154 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on December 24, 2005
Forrest Gump is a very hard movie to watch since I am an autistic physically disabled black dude who grew up in the racially charged 1960's. I had always heard so much about Forrest Gump that made me not think it was the kind of movie I'd like watching so I usually avoided it with a passion. Suddenly this Christmas friends of mine roped in into sitting through Forrest Gump and I was shocked by how much I absolutely loved this movie.

The movie is vivid fictionalized but oddly realistic life seen through (disabled kid) Forrest Gump's eyes. Forrest Gump's perspective on life was weird but strange as he was the movie felt real in the oddest ways I could imagine. It is true watching life unfold through Forrest Gump's eyes offers a perspective that leaves you altered for the better if you have any heart and soul at all. I owe this movie a huge appology because for years I just knew in my heart I'd hate Forrest Gump yet I ended up loving that it was so much like my own life experience growing up disabled in the 1960's when you got very little encouragement and help as a special needs kid.

I suspect I disliked Forrest Gump because it came way too uncomfortably close to being exactly like my own life growing up disabled labelled the dummy or my neighborhood retard by grown ups and peers alike. Like Forrest I had family members (grandparents mainly) who loved me and fought hard, long and tirelessly to be sure I had the same opportunities for advancement other kids had. I saw the park bench scene in the movie trailer and felt it was acted way too simplistically almost as if the movie was poking fun at or making light of the disabled so I never wanted to watch it. Forrest Gump threatened to reopen many painful memories from my own past growing up disabled and those sores were still sensitive in my heart so why watch it.

I am much stronger as a disabled person now than I have ever been before so I let myself be roped into watching Forrest Gump. I liked and understood myself now so I risked veiwing Forrest Gump this Christmas Eve surrounded by friends. Anyways this Christmas Eve friends wanted me to see the Forrest Gump DVD after hearing I had still never seen it so I saw the movie from beginning to end. Watching Forrest Gump was still very painful because, I experienced personally so much of the torment Forrest did going to regular school as a disabled kid in the mid 60's myself. More than a few times I wanted to leave the movie and just go sit in a corner, retreat into my own autistic world to cry tears of solidarity for Forrest Gump in a place where my heart was my only witness but I did not. I stayed the course and watched the whole Forrest Gump movie despite my own pains being vigorously stirred. I gave my word to friends I'd watch to all of Forrest Gump and a Wolf without honor is no Wolf at all.

Yes Forrest Gump stirred up some real painful experiences in my past but that said the movie answered some real unresolved questions I had leaving me much stronger, secure and prouder as a disabled man for my Forrest Gump experience. In my eyes a truly good movie uses fiction to teach truth in ways that leaves an audience stronger better and more enlightened and in all these measures Forrest Gump excels so completely as to have no equals in its job of putting 1960's life with disability in honest perspective. My grandparents used to insist I never see myself as disabled I was expected to do everything the normal folk did and for years I thought my grandparents were cruel almost to the point of being sadistic. I had started to know my grandparents loved me. Watching Forrest Gump showed me that expecting your disabled child to make his own way in normal society coping using tools he developed alone was the most difficult way to love a special needs child in the 1960's but it was the only way to encourage success back in those days when ignorant hostile cruelty about disabilities was rampant.

I am successful today exactly because my grandparents pushed me forcing me to cope in the world of normal people until I got it right. In my case it took me 41 years to get it right and it is still a daily struggle to live among normal folk but I do it. I had hated and avoided watching Forrest Gump for the same reasons I love and highly reccomend buying it from AMAZON.COM now. The Forrest Gump experience as wacky and off beat as it appears was really how it was to be cognitively and physically disabled in the 1960's. For a long time Forrest Gump was too real. Forrest Gump's message hit me way too close to home reminding me of things I'd rather forget and for those very same reasons I most highly recommend that you please buy Forrest Gump on DVD from Amazon.com because the story might be fiction but the 1960's disabled experince it shares is so REAL it can not honestly be deniedtake it from one who lived it! This I know.
on April 2, 2011
This Sapphire edition comes with two discs. The first one is the movie and the second one are the special features.

There's nothing much to say about the film that already have been said, so I'll just put that Forrest Gump is one of my Top 5 all time favorite movies.

The special Features disc is completely amazing. I'm head over heels about how movies are made and the actual story of how it all came to be.
I was pretty surprised how different the novel and the movie are. The special effects, acting, anecdotes, etc.

For me this is a winning format. I'm happy because I got it and the price I paid is more than good.

Get this.
on November 7, 2009
Is there room on here to fit all of what Forrest Gump means to me and possibly others? Probably not! Forrest Gump mixes so many styles of film in one movie it is incredible. It is a comedy, drama, war movie, love story, one of spiritual enlightenment, but most importantly it is about a life. We all walk this earth and from the beginning of our life, we grow, we laugh and love, we have pain and heartache, and eventually we die. How will others remember us? How in a positive way have we touched others during our life?

The Blu-Ray version of this film is like watching it again for the first time. There are little things in the background that stand-out unlike the regular version. The battle scene is visually striking.

In the play Hamlet, Hamlet is in the graveyard and comes across Yorrick's skeleton. Yorrick was the king's jester and Hamlet spent a great time with him when he was younger. As he holds his skull, he speaks the lines, "My gorge rises at it (his skull)" meaning his throat rises at it. I always took this to mean his spirit was moved to the point of being choked up! There are quite a few scenes in this film that bring me to that point. To me these aren't superficial feelings, as in other films, but touches the spirit, and that is why I feel that Forrest Gump is more than a film, but a life lesson.
VINE VOICEon June 25, 2006
I rate this movie 5 stars, or 9,5/10. This is one of the 100 Best America movies of All Times (#71 to be more exact) and it is included in the 1000 Best Movies in DVD by Peter Travers. The movie won 6 Oscars, including Best Director for Robert Zemeckis ("Back to the Future"), Picture, and Actor (Tom Hanks speech went like this: "If Forrest Gump was here tonight he'd say: "I went to the Academy Awards AGAIN, and they gave me the Oscar AGAIN!" making reference at his Oscar for Philadelphia the previous year), and Best Effects (there is a great documentary on that in the second DVD on this edition), Best Film Editing, and Best Writing based on Material from Another Medium. Special mention deserves the music on the film, going over most of the hits of the late 50's and the 60's. So if you like R'n'R, go and buy the Soundtrack as well!

The movie depicts the story of Forrest Gump, a mentally retarded kid who makes it to the top. That can be understood in, at least, two different ways: 1. Any mentally retarded can do good in America. 2. America is the land of opportunity where anybody who tries hard can make it. But this is a movie, a very good movie. So it's a piece of entertainment, and I just watched the movie today (I just watched a couple of times when I came out 12 years ago), and I had a lot of fun. As an example, when Gump goes to the Army, he is very good just following orders, not even thinking about it, so his Sargent tells him "You must have an IQ of 160!". That, in my opinion, is really funny, and a very witty critic to the Army, where all they need is "robots" who can just obey without even thinking. There is also something remarkable. When Forrest Gump comes back from Vietnam, he happens to be at Washington D.C., where there is a huge demonstration against the War. The city is taken by hippies and pacifists. Jenny, the woman of his dreams, is there. They meet. And her boyfriend smashes her in fornt of him. Forrest Gump, the "baby-killer" from Vietnam, as he is called, defends her violently. But it's obvious that the guy who is a "pacifist" was using violence with her, using bad language and in acts. That is nothing put there by chance. It has a meaning. There was violence in Vietnam, in the war, at home, by the police, but also by the protesters. And that is something that has rarely been told. They were using drugs to "liberate" themselves, but that was -in my opinion- another violent way to express themselves. There are a lot of details like that in the movie, that no one could miss. For instance, when the mother of Forrest Gump tries to enroll him at a Regular Elementary school, the Principal is trying to explain her that Forrest's IQ is below normal, and that he should be going to a special school (there was no inclusion at that time). The mother thinks Forrest should have the same opportunities as anybody else, so she offers herself to do "anything" possible to allow Forrest to go to a regular school. And the Principal takes advantage of her. That is another very intelligent critic to things that, unfortunately, are still happening today. Another thing is when Forrest goes to college. Once he graduates, he tells us in plain English "After 5 years playing football, they gave me a degree". So, after 5 years doing nothing, I graduated anyway. Does it sound famiiar? Read between the lines!

To end with this review, I will just say that this is a GREAT movie, very entertaining, well done (the sound in the war scenes is just superb!), a pleasure to watch, with a lot of fun moments, some tender ones, and it tells us a little bit about the history of the US from the 50's to the 80's. It's not that "retarded". It is a very witti one, and it deserves the place it made in the History of Cinema. This is a special edition with 2 DVD's, very CHEAP and highly recommended. If you don't have it in your collection, your collection is "crippled".
on March 19, 2007
Screen favorite Tom Hanks proves that even the most unlikely soul can change the world in the award-winning 1994 blockbuster "Forrest Gump". The movie chronicles the life of Forrest Gump (Hanks), a slow-witted but good-hearted Alabama man who has been present during significant historic events in the 20th century. In his life, Forrest Gump has been an All-American football star, a Vietnam War hero, a champion Ping-Pong player, a successful fishing tycoon and an inspiration for a whole generation. Directed by Robert Zemeckis (Back to the Future), "Forrest Gump" is a remarkably uplifting smash hit that ranks as one of the best films of the 1990s. Tom Hanks delivers his most entertaining acting performance. "Forrest Gump" features an unforgettable story, great special effects and terrific performances by Robin Wright, Gary Sinise and Sally Field. The 142-minute blockbuster opened with overwhelming positive reviews, grossed over $650 million worldwide and earned six Academy Award wins including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor.

"Forrest Gump" Collector's Edition is an absolute must-have for any DVD collection. The 1994 blockbuster is presented is its theatrical 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen format. The 2-Disc DVD contains an enjoyably well-defined video transfer and an excellent 5.1 Dolby digital sound. Its supplemental extras include two detailed audio commentaries by director Robert Zemeckis and crew, the 30-minute "Through the Eyes of Forrest Gump" documentary, behind-the-scenes and visual effects featurettes, trailers and picture gallery. Overall, "Forrest Gump" scores a winning "A".
on April 2, 2013
Aw I just about love this movie. When I was younger, I thought this movie was beyond stupid. And I think it's because I didn't understand it. This movie is about LIFE. Forrest is slow in his mind, but he has a big heart. He does many things in his lifetime too. I think he is one the most inspiring characters yet. He shows the human vulnerabilities that we face in life, and triumphs over them with his heart. I can watch this over and over. Tom hanks did a WONDERFUL job playing as Forrest. I think the greatest thing about this movie, was that Forrest continued to live his life despite his love for Jenny. He loved her with all his heart, but that didn't stop him from 'living'. You know what I mean? Jenny lived a sad life, but Forrest didn't get drowned in it. All the characters in the movie set the stage for Forrest. Lt Dan was my favorite, haha. Even though the movie had a religious tone it in it (not so absorbed in it), it sent a beautiful message nonetheless. And I'm Atheist.
on October 2, 2014
I was bored one evening so I decided to drag out this old Tom Hanks video to watch. I had forgotten how funny and thoughtful this movie was. I really enjoyed it. The transfer to bluray was well done l and was very sharp, along with an upgrade to the soundtrack also. Well worth a repurchase over the VHS or the DVD copy.
on July 15, 2016
If you haven't seen this movie in a few years, it's worth revisiting. If you enjoyed it in your "relative" youth, you can enjoy it again with your own teenagers (though you may want to send the younger ones to bed first).
on August 15, 2016
https://www.amazon.com/Forrest-Gump-Tom-Hanks/dp/B0035JRVBO... Oh hello, Forrest, Run Forrest, Run! we order this movie and makes me cry and laugh at the same time. I remember husband I ate at Bubba Shrimp & Co.
review image
on June 5, 2015
We watched Forest Gump with my kids after so many years again (Some Rated part skipped under supervision) ... It is still amazingly funny, dramatic with all emotions filled. My 10 year old son and 8 year old daughter called it best movie possible.