- Paperback: 192 pages
- Publisher: Chalice Press (October 30, 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0827244940
- ISBN-13: 978-0827244948
- Product Dimensions: 5.9 x 0.5 x 8.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 4 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 24 customer reviews
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#592,931 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #184 in Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > Religious Intolerance & Persecution
- #350 in Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > United States > State
- #448 in Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Elections & Political Process > Political Advocacy
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Forward Together: A Moral Message for the Nation Paperback – October 30, 2014
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
William J. Barber II (Author)
Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II is pastor of Greenleaf Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Goldsboro, NC, the President & Sr. Lecturer of Repairers of the Breach, Co-Chair of the Poor People's Campaign: A National Call For Moral Revival, and a member of the National NAACP Board.
Rev. Dr. Barber is also the architect of the Forward Together Moral Movement that gained national acclaim with its Moral Monday protests at the North Carolina General Assembly in 2013. These weekly actions drew tens of thousands of North Carolinians and other moral witnesses to the state legislature.
A highly sought after speaker, Rev. Dr. Barber has given keynote addresses at hundreds of national and state conferences, including the 2016 Democratic National Convention. Previously he served as president of the North Carolina NAACP, and currently sits on the National NAACP Board of Directors. A former Mel King Fellow at MIT, he is a Visiting Professor of Public Theology and Activism at Union Theological Seminary and a Senior Fellow at Auburn Seminary. Rev. Dr. Barber is regularly featured in media outlets such as MSNBC, CNN, New York Times, Washington Post, and The Nation Magazine, among others. He is the 2015 recipient of the Puffin Award and the Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms Award.
His father, William J. Barber I, published The Disciples Assemblies of Eastern North Carolina in 1966 with the Christian Board of Publication, Chalice Press' parent corporation.
Barbara Zelter (Author)
Barbara Zelter has decades of experience as a community organizer and policy activist in North Carolina. A professional editor and member of the North Carolina NAACP, she currently teaches in the Social Work Department of North Carolina State University.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
"Forward Together" features a collection of energetic addresses by the Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II, president of the North Carolina NAACP and the movement's most prominent figure. Barber's passionate rhetoric calls us away from the "nightmare of regressive public policy and mean oppressive politics" to a just and compassionate social order. He bases his case on the North Carolina and United States constitutions, state and national history, and inclusive appeals to religious and moral beliefs. In the great tradition of non-violent action, he seeks to win over his opponents rather than simply defeat them. "We have to look at public policy through the moral lens of justice for all and the constitutional principle of the common good," Barber says.
The Forward Together Moral Movement advocates a breathtaking array of societal goods, all of them under siege by extremists in the North Carolina statehouse and elsewhere:
* Secure pro-labor, anti-poverty policies that ensure economic sustainability.
* Provide well-founded, quality public education for all.
* Promote healthcare for all, including affordable access, the expansion of Medicaid, protection for women's health, and the assurance of environmental justice in every community.
* Address the continuing inequalities in the criminal justice system and ensure equality under the law for every person, regardless of race, class, creed, documentation, or sexual orientation.
* Protect and expand voting rights, women's rights, LGBT rights, immigrants' rights, and the principle of equal protection under the law.
Forward Together is committed to the struggle for as long as necessary. In June 2013 Barber declared:
"When will they stop? When will they stop hurting children? When will they stop hurting the sick? When will they stop hurting our public schools? When will they stop hurting the economy? If they stop, we'll stop! But we can't stop as long as people are getting hurt. We can't stop when children are being denied, as long as voting rights are being attacked. Our foreparents didn't stop. Those who died to make this nation free, they didn't stop. So we're going to walk Forward Together, as long as there is strength in our bodies and hope in our souls. We're going to walk Forward Together until justice is established and the common good is a reality."