Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning girlss6 tgirlss6 girlss6  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 177 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 279 reviews
The 1.3 MP sensor and 3x optical zoom are welcomed additions. I have the video stream set to 960P instead of 720P. I just love this viewing angle.

This unit uses a microSD instead of the standard SD cards and the recordings are in avi format. In some of the recordings, my video stuttered. When it recorded video, the audio was also captured.

Almost everything I liked and disliked about the other HD Foscams got carried over to the FI9826W. Setup was simple. Not Plug and Play QRCode simple but took me less than 5 min to finish my configurations.

I think the unit is very expensive. At $250, that's $100 more than the FI9821P and $60 more than the FI9831W.

Right now, I'm torn between giving this 4 or 5 stars. If the FI9826W had the Plug and Play QRCode, I would gladly give it 5 stars.
1616 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2015
I have 3 of the old 8910 models and they work okay if I keep the contrast and brightness down. Pictures are fuzzy. I thought the new 9826 with higher resolution and zoom would be great and indeed the resolution is fantastic and the zoom is very nice. As another reviewer mentioned, the zoom doesn't seem like 3x but rather 2x but maybe my understanding of zoom measurements is incorrect. What you get at max zoom is a picture that is half the width and half the height of the zoomed out picture so it's like taking the center "half" of the frame. It does this very well--the picture is very crisp and the colors are rich.
Initially I was very disappointed with the brightness level of the 9826 since I have all my cameras sitting on window sills pointing outside, and while the old cameras do just fine all day long, the 9826 was 95% white-out until about one hour before sunset or on dark, cloudy days. I put the 9826 right next to an 8910 to compare. The 8910's picture was normal while the 9826 was practically all white even with brightness turned down to 0. Then, thanks to Amazon's reviews/comments, someone commented on my old 3-star review and gave me a 1-click solution to my problem: use "outdoor" mode. That made all the difference; the picture now is absolutely perfect even on the brightest days and I've changed my review to 5 stars.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 24, 2014
The picture quality of this cam is a huge step forward from the 640x480 IP cams I've been using. Great color, great sharpness. The software has also been improved greatly and is more intuitive and professional-looking, with a plethora of surveillance/security type features.

When in focus, the image is extremely sharp and clear. The focus range when zoomed out is about 12-30 inches; when zoomed in it's 48" to infinity. It's a shame they can't keep it in focus over the whole zoom range, and there is no manual focus adjustment so you're stuck with the factory adjustment, which limits the usefulness of the zoom feature for me. I use these cameras for remote monitoring of 3D printers, and the focus requirements are different from those of most surveillance applications.

The real deal-breaker for me, however, and the reason it's probably going back, is that a browser plug-in is required in order to view video, and the plug-in does not work under MacOS. Not under 10.6.8 on my Macbook Pro, nor under 10.7.5 on my iMac, with either Chrome or Firefox. Since the camera is very new I can understand they need time to work out all the bugs, but when I emailed tech support they replied "For Mac i would suggest using an app called Evocam as the browser will not have all of the options available." The email came from a no-reply address so I couldn't even write back and tell them I don't care about all the options, I just want to see video. I don't want to use a third-party application, and I don't particularly like Evocam. Requiring installation of a plugin makes it inconvenient for others with whom I might want to share the cam URL. Had tech support replied that they are working on the Mac browser plugin I might keep the cam, but based on their reply I doubt I will, tempting as the image quality is.
1111 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2015
This is the 4th unit I have purchased so far. Many reviews will state Foscam are entry level and considering the price, they are. I have seen some so-so reviews on their outdoor products but these indoor units get rave reviews. They work very well for my interior and have a very clear picture. I have mine hooked up to a full time server using Blue Iris software and can access remotely. I do not use the SD card for any recording. I let Blue Iris do the live streaming and motion detection recording.
on October 14, 2015
As a counterpoint, I have about a dozen of the FI8910W cameras. These are simple devices that work flawlessly. However, they only have a 640x480 resolution, and for some applications you simply need more. These devices simply do not deliver.

1) Slow and marginally responsive. The lag time from these cameras (connected via Gigabit ethernet) is atrocious. The delay after sending a move command can be as much as 5 seconds, and the video stream jumps and sputters along. It often drops connection simply replying with 'service is unavailable' for no reason at all.
2) Full use of the camera requires a proprietary plugin. This plugin is not only poorly written, it is also insecure (requires you to improperly accept their dodgy certificate), and must run on either Windows or OSX. Which is odd because in the description here it distinctly says it supports Linux. Although they are listed as supported for Linux, many configuration settings can only be done using the plugin, such as disabling the IR lights or setting them to use a schedule.
3) These have a timestamp that cannot be removed. If you plan to use this with centralized software you cannot get rid of their burned-in timestamps...it also has the interesting side effect of highlighting how terrible the lag is on these. As the software records the "seconds" jump and slow from this camera. Watching the disparity between the DVR timestamps and those sent from the camera are almost comical.
4) There is often distortion, pixelation, streaking, or ghosting (see photo). These wind up setting off the motion detection and false alarms.

I have a large number of cameras and have broad experience deploying and managing them. Of those available in the HD realm, you can do much much better.
review image
on January 5, 2015
I have 2 Foscam units. I have a older one and this new one. These cameras are great. They can be a challenge at times to set up, but customer support is excellent. Do not hesitate to buy, or call customer support if you need help. I want to thank the gentleman that helped me this morning at foscam support. I had a bad phone connection and could not get your name clear or it would be posted as i appreciated you excellent assistance with a problem that was my fault.
on May 11, 2014
We loved our first camera so much, we bought another one immediately. Even though the second camera was the same model, but in white color, it did not have an in-focus picture. I called Foscam service, who directed me to just do a factory reset, and now it is as wonderful as our first camera. Easy set up and a great picture. Now we can see what our kitties are doing when we are not home. My husband wants to watch the cameras during his breaks at work--we might need to buy more!
on January 23, 2014
I upgraded from the 720p Foscam FI9821 v2, and the improved image quality of this 960p FI9826W is quite noticeable, even though the FI9821 is also high definition and a respectable 720p resolution. What's more, this newer cam has an optical zoom, and the other cam doesn't, and the zoom makes a big difference when using it to monitor your home as a security cam.

The field of vision shows a larger area compared to the old cam, and I also noticed that it handles extreme lighting conditions much better and the IR night feature works well, too. Very pricey, and I was wanting to wait until it was offered directly from Amazon, but I ended up buying it from Foscam on Amazon.

I didn't notice any bugs in the software or any blurriness that another reviewer complained about. But it wasn't packed very well by Foscam, because the product box was shipped inside a larger cardboard box that wasn't packed with enough padding material, so the box inside wasn't secure and it was able to bang and bump around a lot inside the package during shipping, and I was worried that the cam would be damaged. However, it's working perfectly so far. Glad I upgraded to this superior cam.
on April 13, 2014
**********************************
February 2015 update:
I just ordered another one and placed my first one outside for a test. So far, GREAT! The low lumen CCD is great and also, the IR lights and filter work even better than I expected. One caveat I noticed was that it was highly reflective off of reflective things like brick; white paint. So, aim it slightly off of them and you are set; not a huge problem. I am going to give it two more weeks of testing, as it's the "change" time of year around here and it will be seeing huge changes in humidity and temperature. If this one stands tall, as I know it will, I will be replacing all of my cams with this model. The image is great and the, though small, zoom is a good improvement.
**********************************

... but I took the plunge and bought this camera. I've owned 10 Foscam cameras now, and so far this is the best. The 3x optical zoom is really great. It will not zoom in on a licenses plate from 30 feet, but then nothing with only 3x zoom will. If the software you use has digital zoom, then it is really possible to read something as small as a licenses plate from this distance. This though, was not why I purchased this camera. I wanted ultra clear/sharp images from 20 feet or less and this camera fits the bill. Keep in mind that my testing is indoors, so the distance may increase when used outdoors with natural lighting. Lighting is everything when it comes to cameras.

If Foscam is reading this, what we need is the ability to control the focus with software.... Sometimes we want to zoom in on something really close, and sometimes we what to zoom in on something really far away. The fixed focal length is ok for medium focal points but we need/deserve more control.

This camera works really well with Blue Iris. If you have Blue Iris, and the Android/IOS app for your smart phone, you don't need to worry about port forwarding a camera that uses both an IP address and a Media port. This can be a headache for novices.

Plus, if you use a client like Blue Iris for streaming, you don't have as much to worry about with snoops hacking into your IP camera since it's not broadcast.

Also Foscam, if you are reading this, we need the ability to use the IR filter while not using the IR lights supplied with the camera. If I want to point this out a window, and use IR illuminators placed outside, I can't because the IR lights on the camera will reflect off the glass and cause unusable video. With the older/cheaper cameras I just painted the IR lights over so they would not reflect in the glass, but this camera cost too much to do that to it for outdoor monitoring.

If anyone reading this knows of a safe/efficient remedy, let me know.
77 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2015
We use this as a baby monitor (video and audio) and for that it generally works very well. I liked the prospect of the zoom feature, but to be honest I keep it zoomed all the way in 99% of the time. It required a little tweaking, but overall I'm happy with it.

PROs:
- The resolution is way better than my last cam.
- H.264 encoding means the impact on my WiFi network is minimized
- It supports HTTPS connections, so you're not sending your password over the network in clear text.
- The pan/tilt is quiet and smooth, a huge improvement over my previous foscam camera.
- It's compatible with lots of good software like Blue Iris on the PC and TinyCam on Android.

CONs:
- The white model gets significant IR glare off of the white housing when pointed downward at night. This was a huge problem, as we kept the camera on a high shelf to look into the crib. Once you get close to the bottom of the viewing range, the picture loses all contrast. You can tip the camera forward but a better, more stable solution is to cover up some of the white housing. I taped some black tape that doesn't glow in the infrared over the bottom parts of the housing in front of the lens and that fixed the problem. But I shouldn't have had to do that.
- The picture could be a bit clearer for an HD camera. I'm wondering if the zoom lens was set just a tiny bit out of focus. It's not terrible, but I feel like it could be just a little better if I could just focus it a bit.
- There is a network LED that blinks on the back... constantly. I put some electrical tape over it because there's no way to disable it with the software interface.
- Pan/tilt control over HTTPS can be a bit laggy depending on the software you use.
- Foscam's free PC software leaves a lot to be desired. Configuration is tricky and there is no indicator for if you've got the audio on or off. Fortunately you don't need to use their software as the cam is compatible with other software.

I'd buy another Foscam camera but this particular model could use some revisions.
review image