Top critical review
3 people found this helpful
Decent outdoor option- NEEDS BROWSER PLUGIN UPDATE TO WORK
on June 24, 2015
If you really need the dome style that can pan/tilt for outdoor use, it's a decent option. At $250, I think it could be much cheaper. You're honestly just getting a dome camera in an outdoor casing with a wall mount. I'd consider a typical dome camera under an eve for weather protection for cheaper.
I'll just add some helpful tips/pros/cons below:
1) FOSCAM PLUGINS NO LONGER SUPPORTED IN GOOGLE CHROME BROWSER- YOU WILL NEED TO USE INTERNET EXPLORER!!!
- They need to get it together and release a new updated google chrome plugin. As it stands now, it's "coming soon," but in the meantime you'll have to use IE (which I hate) and have to change some of the browsers settings to allow use of the unsigned/risky plugin. Not cool. Same issue for all my other HD Foscam's.
2) Image quality is crisp. 960p is my preferred viewing resolution. 720p looks zoomed and cuts off a lot of image view.
3) Wifi antenna is in a fixed position. Not good for mounting near the peak or an eve up against a roof line.
- I removed the factory antenna (simply unscrews) and am using a high gain wifi antenna that has a long cable.
- Product here: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G2G61E0?redirect=true&ref_=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_1
4) Out of network (WAN) video quality is OK. A little choppy, as is the case with every other foscam camera I've used lately.
5) IP cam setups are not for a novice that's not computer savvy. They offer a remote installation, but I doubt that works well as I assume you'll need to somehow let them gain control over your web browser or do a screen share perhaps to guide you through the process. Sounds like a painful customer service experience to me.. DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU THINK IT'S A PLUG & PLAY FOR REMOTE VIEWING.
6) TIP: Don't mount the plate flush to the wall. I suggest (from another reviewer's video suggestion) to find a way to mount it at some sort of angle so the camera looks like it's pointing slightly upward. This way you'll be able to get higher vision, especially if you plan on zooming on the image.
7) Digital zoom is very clear and not pixelated. Good feature, if you require that.