Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 25 reviews
Those who come from the world of 35mm film cameras are fully aware that the purpose of a lens hood on the end of a lens is to block the sun or other extraneous light in order to reduce or prevent glare and lens flare. The secondary purpose is offer some degree of physical protection for the lens due to the hood extending farther than the lens itself.

This RainbowImaging Lens Hood for Nikon Coolpix P7700 Camera is a surprisingly well made product, and is an excellent fit for the new Nikon P7700. It's an all-metal machined lens shade with a matte black finish, and has flat black interior to help cut down on lens flare. It's threaded as Ø40.5mm on the smaller side to fit the P7700, and though it's not noted in the product specs here, the larger end is interior threaded for 58mm filters, as can be seen in the photos that I've posted here.

This lens hood is threaded as Ø40.5mm on the smaller side to specifically fit the P7700, and though it's not noted in the product specs here, the larger end is interior threaded for Ø58mm filters or other 58mm attachments. I found that with a Ø40.5mm UV filter attached to the camera lens and this hood attached to the filter, there was no vignetting at all, even with a Ø58mm circular polarizing filter attached to the front of the lens hood.

Though skeptical when I first found it here, this lens hood is an extremely close match with the Nikon 25858 HN-CP17 Lens Hood, though at a substantial price reduction. At the price difference, I was glad to find it here, and it was well worth the gamble to try it and see whether it was really close to the original. I was not disappointed. It's also now available here as the JJC LH-CP17 Professional Hard Lens Hood, and mine came in with identical JJC LH-CP17 Lens Hood markings, so now we have a choice.

The RainbowImaging Lens Hood for Nikon Coolpix P7700 Camera is an excellent substitute for the Nikon HN-CP17 lens hood, and after having tried both the original and this one on my own P7700, can easily say that it's a highly recommended 5-star product that doesn't disappoint.

11/24/2012
review image review image
1010 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2016
Fotasy lens hood arrived with what appears to be a manufacturing defect. It was dented and out of round. The threads would not fit into my lens. There is also the possibility that I was shipped damaged goods. The packing material looked old and worn. The hood felt very light weight and not very substantial as though it was made of an inferior grade of metal. Now I have to go to the trouble of returning the defective lens hood and ordering another. Additionally the advertised lens cloth was not included. Not a happy camper.
on December 19, 2012
Sony didn't provide a lens hood for the 16-50mm lens that came with my NEX-6, so I bought the JJC LH-CP17 to protect the tiny zoom. Since the front element extends to the rim of the lens, it's easy to get fingerprints or worse on the lens. I also dislike using front lens caps; I replace them with hoods as soon as I buy a lens. The Rainbow Imaging/JJC hood is a perfect fit for the Sony. It attaches securely and doesn't vignette at 16mm. The low profile of the hood -- about twice the depth of the lens cap -- also doesn't add any significant bulk to the camera. It still fits easily into the lens compartments of my bags.
on March 29, 2013
No problems with this hood; when installed, it does not interfere with retraction of the Nikon P7700 lens. A wide selection of compatible 58mm filters is available, and if you buy filters in sets, standard quality filters will cost you only about $4 each if bought online. Some cases custom-fit for this camera may not close properly after the lens hood is installed - I simply bought a generic padded camera case, which gives me room for my P7700 with hood and UV filter installed, and also accommodates a few filters, battery charger, camera instruction manual, a mini-tripod, and the USB cable needed for transferring image files
on September 11, 2015
As with any hood designed to cover the full range of a zoom lens, the hood cannot be deeper so its usefulness is limited, especially when the sun is somewhere in front of the camera. The most important thing is that it does not vignette at the widest angle. I leave it on all the time in lieu of a lens cap so that I can put the camera in a small bag without fear of scratching the front element, yet the camera can be deployed quickly for that inevitable grab shot.
on April 19, 2017
Fits perfect on camera.
on January 28, 2013
The lens cap for the Nikon P7700 is tiny and is not attached to the camera, so it would certainly be annoying and probably soon lost. I use this product to both protect the lens and allow me to leave the lens cap at home. I put a UV filter on the lens with it. Together they protect lens from damage and shield it from stray light just as any lens hood does. It goes nicely with the Vivitar series 1 3-piece multi-coated (40.5m) filter set.
on February 5, 2013
This little lens hood is metal, nicer than the Nikon version and MUCH less expensive. Don't waste money on Nikon's efforts to extort money. The P7700 is a nice little enthusiast cam. I use it with my D800 and Nikon flashes, but don't be silly and overpay for a lens hood! This is the one to get.
on July 17, 2013
I keep this lens hood on my Nikon P7700 all the time. My camera is always ready to take photos during a sunny day and is always ready for a polarizing filter. Also, I also bought a lens cap, that fits this lens hood, that is easy to take off and put on. I like this arrangement. Yes, my camera set-up is larger, but it is more convenient to use.
on January 24, 2014
I generally buy Nikon branded accessories; lenses, flash, filters, batteries ( when the camera is new), cases. The price for the Nikon shade was way out of line, so as a matter of principle I bought this hood. It does the job with understated appearance so from a distance you couldn't tell it wasn't OEM. I use the 40.5mm Nikon NC filter always, and this hood outside.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.