Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fotodiox Pro 5x7' 2-in-1 Black/White Collapsible Background Panel
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on September 19, 2011
This item would have easily received 5 stars if not for 2 major problems.

1. On the white side of the backdrop I have two visible seams in the muslin and the cloth slightly changes color at one of the seams. The only reason I will not send it back is that it does work for the project I need it for as the background will be slightly washed and the seams will not show. If I were using this for any other project where the seams might show I would be disappointed and it would have gone back immediately. There are seams on the black side as well but I can't see them ever showin up in any image.

2. This backdrop is not 5' by 7' as advertised. It is actually 4ft 11in x 6ft 6in. Not a big difference on the short side but 4 inches is a little to much rounding for me on the tall side. This extra difference did sway me to purchase this backdrop over another one that was advertised as 6 1/2 ft tall. I feel a little deceived in this aspect.

I had no trouble folding this backdrop but I could see were someone with a smaller build may have trouble (I am 6ft 2in). To fold it up, set it down on its side (where its 5 ft tall) grab both sides, bring them together folding one hand under the other and it should fall into place.

Pros:
Construction is very good. Seems like it would last a while.
Folds up nice and small
Inexpensive. (Only reason it gets three stars and not two)

Cons:
Seams visible on white side, slightly discolored at one seam.
NOT 5ft X 7ft! Mine was 4ft 11in x 6ft 6in

Personally I will keep this because it works for the particular project I purchased it for and sending it back would be more hassel than its worth, but if this were for general use I would have sent it back and purchased a different brand.
44 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2012
Just thought I'd comment on something I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere in the reviews. The background is very useful, but the muslin (by virtue of the way this folds up) will always be wrinkled. If you're using the black background, it therefore needs to be far enough in the background so the wrinkles are out of focus (I imagine with the brightly lit white background, the over-exposure would hide the wrinkles, though if your lighting isn't bright enough, there could be a problem with white as well).

I had to rearrange my home studio once I saw the issue, and since my space is limited, I actually can't move it far enough back to completely hide them. The "soft focus" wrinkles provide a slight texture to the background, which is acceptable to my eye, though not the look I had originally intended. How far back will depend on a bunch of factors including the brightness of your lights (brighter lights = smaller aperture = more depth of field). With my setup, I've had to move it 3' behind the subject, which is all the space I have, and I would prefer another foot.

FOLDING INSIGHT, added Dec 2012: Recently took the background into the field for the first time and had to deal with folding it up. Despite viewing several different youTubes, this turned out to be quite challenging (as others have noted). However, after much trial and error (mostly error) I discovered something that helped me fold the thing consistently, once I understood it.

The frame of the backdrop is a flat metal band sewn inside the muslin. Think of it as having an "exterior" surface and an "interior surface". When you fold the thing, it's important to grasp the band strongly enough so that it doesn't twist. As you fold the backdrop over itself, keep the exterior of the band pressed against the palms of BOTH hands. This is what causes the backdrop to curl up into the round shape you need to place it back in the case. If you let the band twist inside the muslin so that one hand is pressing against the original "exterior", and the other against the original "interior" (which is what it "wants" to do) the backdrop doesn't curl up, and remains an awkward and stubborn object. It requires a fair amount of hand and arm strength to make it work: I'm 6'3" and powerfully built (though pushing 60) and found it somewhat challenging. I'm sure many people will find it difficult to impossible to fold by themselves.
on October 5, 2011
Yes, it will pop you in the face a few times while you learn to fold it but, it's not too bad once you get it down. Beware - this thing is huge even folded! Not sure if they gave the collapsed dimensions or not but, when folded up in the bag this thing is 26" in diameter! (About as big around as a car tire - not exactly going in your camera bag :) Might consider what your going to use to hold it with too. I'm using two of these:
L+) PHOTOFLEX LITEDISC HOLDER on two light stands.
on February 3, 2013
These are huge screens and fold up nicely for travel. With them being this size they can be hard to fold, but I found a nice youtube video that showed me how. Each side only shows its color, no bleeding and it covers enough of the frame to get close up and full length shots. They set up in a snap and are easy to place anywhere even without a backdrop stand.
on June 15, 2011
It works as advertised and you cant really say more than that. I have seen some complain that once its unfolded they cant get it to re-fold. Havent had the issue myself. Look online, there are numerous videos, written documents that tell/show you how to do it, and with practice it does get easier.
on August 16, 2014
Awesome. Comes in really handy on the go. I have my reflectors in the same bag when going to an event, economic and practical. Learning to fold it back took a 5 mins tutorial on youtube but totally doable. No regrets with this purchase.
on April 12, 2014
Works good. Size is big...... I like that the material is none reflective, but it also is a dust/lint magnet.(nothing a little tape or lint brush/roller can't fix) I wish that it had loops on the long side. My fix is two alligator clips and a small bungee cord. I've watched numerous videos on how to fold these things and I feel like it's my first time every-time I fold it back up. I have never done it on the first attempt... it is very funny that I haven't "learned" the technique after using this thing for so long.
on November 25, 2014
High quality and the colors are solid. The frames are "springy" so you can fold them back up into a circle when storing or transporting them. I use primarily the black side when doing Google Hangouts because they provide a nice contrast and are free of distractions. I recommend these to everyone when I am doing video production training in my classes. I also bought the Fotodiox 5 x 7 collapsible 2-in-1 background Panel Chromakey Green and Blue kit as well.
on February 16, 2013
The backdrop was sturdy and seems like it could take a fair beating. the white and black gave a good infinity feel once I got the lighting right and ironed out the worst of the crinkles. This is my first backdrop and I'm using it for my first video "studio" setup.

The only issue for me is that it has no loops to hang it horizontally. Just one loop at the top (as shown on the white backdrop in the product pic). I was expecting it to have the loops that the black backdrop showed in the picture.

I was quite happy with the purchase overall. Thanks again Amazon.
on February 3, 2016
I do love this kit quite well and have used this on a video shoot, and 3 photo shoots. The white is dull until lit, which is nice and produces near to no shadow. The black is also absorbent to light which makes it very usable for many applications. I do have the Chromakey Blue/Green set as well and yes these have wrinkles as it's folded into a 27" circle from 5'x7'! I used some wrinkle release and it worked well. I do worry about the white if it does get dirty. Cleaning this thing might be difficult. So far so good and it's not bad on weight.