Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 6, 2012
I only use reflectors occasionally so I wasn't looking to drop the $80+ dollars on a name brand like Lastolite. I've used this particular reflector on about a dozen shoots now, both indoors and outdoors and have had no problems with durability. However, if you do a lot of outdoor shoots and it's windy outside, I could see this thing ripping easily. Compared to a buddy's Lastolite reflector, you understand quickly why the Fotodiox is cheaper. However, the light output to my eye is identical with the silver and gold. The white side doesn't seem to reflect as much light as the Lastolite though. But if you're like me and only use the reflector on occasion, save your money and get this one.
40 people found this helpful
on July 17, 2016
This is a nice reflector. It seems to be well built and has held up well over the last year. I expect it'll last a lot longer yet. It's easy to open and close and change the fabrics.

For those that haven't used a 5-way reflector before, the inside fabric that is permanently attached is a diffusion cloth. There is an outer cover that it made up of two double-sided fabrics. One side has a white front and gold back. If you turn the cover inside out you get black on one side and silver on the other. And this is the problem and the reason for four stars instead of five.

Most photographers will use silver or white a lot more than they'll use black or gold. In order to switch between silver or white you have to flip the cover inside out each time. This takes precious time while shooting and adds unnecessary wear and tear. Ideally it should have silver and white on one side and gold and black on the other. This way you could easily switch between silver and white by just flipping the reflector 180 degrees, without having to take the thing apart every time. I tried the gold fabric once and will never use it again. It makes skin look awful with a ghastly artificial Trump-orange-like tan.

The 40x60 size is just about right for upper body shots using either the reflector fabrics or the diffuser. In fact I haven't used any of my smaller reflectors since buying this one. It's big enough to provide plenty of coverage but not so big that it becomes unwieldy.

I'm more than satisfied with this one and I'll probably pick up another with my next order. It's good value with as good or better quality at less than half the price of comparable products in the local photo stores.

To use it just get a reflector clip like the Neewer reflector disc clip for around $6. The clip fits over top of the 5/8" stud on your lightstand. To keep it from swinging around get a 6" velcro tie, which you can run through the included loop and tie around the bottom of the lightstand.
5 people found this helpful
on November 29, 2014
So I am a amateur photographer who is still learning the ropes. And of course I've run into the problem of needing light on my subject and not having it because it's behind them or some place else in general.

To keep it simple this works wonderful, silver, gold, white, black, see through all do exactly what they're suppose to do. And being 42" the light is not as direct so it is diffused a little bit. I've got some pictures of when I first tried it with my horses (a few months ago) and just recently when I was doing a photo shoot. Of course with my luck I cannot locate the photos I got of my horse but I do have the photos from my sunset photo shoot.

I would recommend this for anyone but it is a big reflector so if you can afford getting a decent stand I would defiantly suggest that as well. I'm currently saving up and looking for a stand that'll help me because it was challenging to try and get a well lit picture while also trying to keep my subject where I wanted them.

I'm also sorry this is a pretty blah review but I wanted to add some pictures for you guys :D I also got the 22" and will be showing some pictures of that one too.
review imagereview image
10 people found this helpful
on June 21, 2012
As the title suggests, this set of reflectors is perfect for portrait work. Since that's why I bought them, this turned out to be a great purchase. I was a bit concerned that the 22" size might not be big enough...but it is. Anything larger would be almost unusable for portraits. Granted, if you aren't taking typical portrait shots, than a larger size might be necessary. The 22" model will definitely not reflect on a full length shot of someone standing. At best, if the subject is seated you will be able to get most of the body...and all of the body if the subject is hugging their knees lol. But that's beside the point. If you purchase these with portrait photography in mind, you will not be disappointed. This also comes with a zippered bag to store the reflector in.

***UPDATE****
Contrary to my statement above, I have found it possible to reflect enough light for a full length shot. Still haven't found an effective way to light a whole group, but with one person, and a ton of strong direct sunlight, I was able to light a full length shot. You just have to be standing far enough away.
26 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 31, 2015
After having a few reflectors that were just too cheaply made to be happy with, I tried this Fotodiox because I had purchased a few umbrellas from them and I was happy with the quality of construction on those. In comparison to other reflector brands the Fotodiox has a heavy duty frame (that folds up just as easily as the cheap thin ones, and the reflector fabric seems to be a little heavier quality and maybe a little smoother than the others I had, but that is not as obvious as the better quality frame. Another key point is that this is the first one that had a little more room in the fabric to zip everything back up without fear of tearing the fabric out of the stitching. As for the actual zippers, which seems to be another weak spot with all the reflectors, this one does not appear to be any different, time will tell. The zippers will fasten the entire frame area not just part of it making it easier to me to flip the reflector surfaces when needed.
The size is large enough to light a full body shot and it is big enough to use the white or black as a background in an upper body or just a head shot. I have found that I still need a smaller size of reflectors in some cases, so another set is necessary.
Some may prefer to buy 2 sets of the cheaper reflectors for the same price, but I prefer the route of less aggravation and am happy with one good set in this size. Definitely recommend this brand.
Someone may prefer to buy 2 cheap reflectors instead of one good one, but I prefer the less aggravation route. Everything works , the white reflector is white, no discoloration, definitely recommend Fotodiox.
2 people found this helpful
on July 10, 2013
I like this product, because I can use it to give my subjects catchlights in their eyes. It can also be used to light up a dimly lit area if there is directional light nearby. It is small, and it's easy to use. The different colors on the reflector are actually like a skin that you zip and unzip around a frame. The only thing is, you have to have someone else use this while you take the photos. This is really good quality for a really great price. Also, it is easily portable. It folds down into a circle no more than ruler's length across. So it doesn't take up a lot of room, if you're having to haul your equipment around and are only photography one to three people.
6 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 19, 2013
The Fotodiox 42" 5-in-1 Reflector Pro, Premium Grade Collapsible Disc is designed with space conservation in mind.

Observation: When you start to get serious with video, you notice when you are doing an offsite shoot, your car's truck and backseat start getting filled up with portable lights, audio equipment and microphones, harnesses and stabilizers, tripods, backdrops, more tripods, seating and wires and wires and some more wires. An offsite video shoot can be a 'Pain in the Rear'. This is where the Fotodiox 42" 5-in-1 Reflector Pro, Premium Grade Collapsible Disc is an ingeniously designed product.

The folded product fits in a bag that is about 12" in diameter and about 2" thick. It is barely noticeable. But when it comes out and unfolds, there are five beautifully accommodating 42" options for working with lighting that can help make your simple offsite shoot feel like a pro shoot any day. And in my few years of shooting video, lighting and audio are two often forgotten pieces to making a great video. The Fotodiox 42" 5-in-1 Reflector Pro, Premium Grade Collapsible Disc goes a long way in rectifying many simple lighting issues.

Pros:
Compact design makes for easy storage and travel
The folded size is about 12" and weighs about 1lbs
Well made design for the price
Five different colors is a great amount of reflectors for most small shoots
Great pricing makes it easy to add these to any video arsenal

Cons:
Storage bag is a little flimsy and the zipper can get stuck if you zip too fast
Not real easy to fold on your first few attempts
Can't really use all reflectors at the same time (can be solved by just picking up a few more)

The drawbacks to this product simply can't outweigh how smartly designed and highly effective the Fotodiox 42" 5-in-1 Reflector Pro, Premium Grade Collapsible Disc really are. I would not only recommend the product, I would go as far as suggest that you simply need this product as either a pro or amateur videographer, You will not be upset with the versatility of the Fotodiox 42" 5-in-1 Reflector Pro, Premium Grade Collapsible Disc.
2 people found this helpful
on June 21, 2013
I was concerned about what to expect at such a low price but I was very pleasantly surprised.

When it came, I was glad that it folds up so small. It makes it a lot easier to bring to photo sessions. The different sides have all proven very useful and I have used all of them within the last month that I have had this.

pros: folds small, large size, looks good to clients, quality surfaces. low price.

cons: zipper is in the one position, when inside out, it is harder to zip just from being used to folded that direction. Hard to figure out how to fold back down until you get used to it. Not supreme quality and since I will use it every other day, it probably won't last more than a year-18 months.

summary : I would recommend this to my friends. I would buy it again. I would rather buy this every year than invest hundreds in the top quality professional grade products. Why spend more? I love it!
One person found this helpful
on July 15, 2017
Work great, very good quality. They fold up small enough, but still large to be a bit awkward to carry around. About 18 inch diameter, just barely fit into the smaller roller bags, do not fit into a normal backpack.

These are good, but not a travel size you just carry around. More of a specialty size. Get something smaller if you just want to have them on hand at all times, it takes planning to have these around. But the larger size reflects a larger patch of light, so it's a trade-off.
on February 22, 2013
I've used for several shoots now and have really come to appreciate the flexibility it brings. It's a great piece of gear to have for a shoot where lighting conditions might otherwise cause harsh and unflattering shadows. A lot of times, I'll position it just barely out of frame, on the white side, to kick back a soft glow of light to the non-key side of the model.

Being fairly large, it's also wort mentioning that the unit does fold up nicely, and the carrying bag isn't total garbage like every other off-brand photo equipment's flimsy black bag. I have successfully folded up and re-stowed the reflector away a few times now, so that's a big bonus.

I'm sure eventually the zipper on the cover will go, as it seems anything but industrial-grade, but you get what you pay for. In a fairly stable studio environment, I could see this lasting a long time.
3 people found this helpful