Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on November 1, 2012
I received the Fotodiox Telescoping Reflector Holding Arm today. Free shipping because I chose the Super Saver Shipping thingie (ordered on 10/25 and it was here on 11/1 via UPS). Anyhow, it's a decent product and well made. I know some have complained about it not holding the arm, or not being able to mount on a light stand. Sorry to hear that. I didn't encounter that problem at all - likely because I've used these types of clamps/arms before in another life :-) Anyhow, I uploaded some photos of the methods I used to secure the clamp and the arm. They probably tell the story better than I (even though the pics are pretty poor quality). Also, I'm using the telescoping arm, light stand, and "Steady Bag" (you can use any type of sandbag) as a microphone boom. It works! And that's what I had in mind when I ordered it. Great price for a poor man's mic boom.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
20 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
on April 5, 2013
I hate this thing. The clips that hold the reflector are good and the telescoping arm is fine, but the head that puts the whole contraption on the light stand is awful! None of the holes that slip over the stand (there are 4 of various sizes) fit my light stand (which is a pretty standard size). Once I force it onto the stand and tighten it up enough that it is almost stable, it is virtually impossible to change the angle of the reflector because the light stand half loosens up again when I loosen the reflector arm half. I end up alternating over-tightening with loosening up to the point that one or both handles and washers fall off or the whole thing slides down the light stand.

If you already wasted your money on this contraption (like me) it helps to label which handle you NEVER want to loosen (the light stand side), and which direction you have to move the handle on the reflector half (righty tighty, lefty loosey) to adjust the reflector. Then keep it on the same light stand (never, ever dare to remove it), and it is almost functional.
|0Comment|Report abuse
My product received quickly (as most have with Amazon). I was a little surprised, however, to see some bits of plastic in the bag when I pulled out the arm. I quickly realized the bits were from the clamp that was broken off. Normally, I try to fix items when it's possible, but it wasn't in this case. The arm was in a box, that was in a slightly bigger box. I still saw no reason for the product to be broken though. I suspect that it was broken in shipment to the distributor and not checked before shipment to me (not that it should have been). Amazon has a great return policy and I've already printed the return labels. This said, the arm seems to be decently made (I will reorder). It's probably not going to support a small dinosaur, but I think it will meet my needs. I did check it with my Fotodiox reflectors, and was happy to see that the mounting clip on the clamp seemed to fit perfect on the rib at the outside of the reflectors. Time will tell how this product holds up.
One person found this helpful
on August 28, 2013
Received it in a box, which was inside Amazon's box. Yet, when I opened up the plastic packaging, multiple little plastic "bits" fell out. Luckily it wasn't anything important, but it's never a good first impression when your product is received damaged (even if only slightly). There was no information as to how to set it up or use it, so since this was my first time ever using a reflector arm, I turned to the interwebs to find my solution. Luckily there were a couple YouTube videos that showed how to set it up and use it. Although they made it look a lot easier than it actually is to use this product. The reflector clips and telescoping arm were easy enough to figure out, but the "joint" that attaches the arm to the stand was a different story. There are four different sized holes to accommodate the possible different diameter sizes of different arms and stands. But is it too much to ask that the arm THAT WAS INCLUDED IN THIS PRODUCT fits nicely? Apparently for FotoDiox, it is. It took me a while to get it situated in there so it was snug and didn't slide down the pole, but even then, it is off-center and doesn't seat squarely in the hole like it should. I guess they say you get what you pay for, and with this I got a big pile of steaming poo. Will return this ASAP and seek something that is actually a QUALITY product.
on December 1, 2011
This works.

Does what it says, collapses into a compact package and works quite well.

It could use a hook at the end to do some counter-weight magic, but thats about it.

The weak link for most will be the stand you mount it on. Think sturdy and think sand bag.

Adjustment is a bit clumsy angle vs clamp are not independent. you can not adjust one without affecting the other. That is a loss of a star. But heck, for the price? Great value.

You can use it without a stand and it serves as a more adept holder that just the reflector alone..

Combine it with the Coboystudio Boom Stand and you can put diffusion or reflected light anywhere you need it.
One person found this helpful
on March 28, 2013
I ordered two of these in time for an extensive weekend shoot. Disappointment is just the tip of the iceberg. First off, there are no instructions included with these things. Granted, these are fairly simply devices and any idiot should be able to figure out how to assemble with minor difficulty... One of these has a broken handle, (it will be returned), and I had to re-attach the handle on the second unit when it came apart when attempting to assemble. The clips for the clips for the reflector are incredibly cheap. I can see these breaking within a couple of days. I will think twice before purchasing these again - they are definitely not worth the money.
on February 4, 2013
The metal that makes up the arm on this thing is pretty thin, ok, really thin. The knuckle (the big round clamp that attaches it to a stand) is plastic, no surprise there, but when I tightened it down on the thin metal arm it actually dented this arm. That was a surprise as you do need to apply a bit of pressure to insure it is secure. The knuckle is also a bit difficult to line up the hole with the pole your attaching it too. If the pole isn't exactly the right size (it can accommodate 4 sizes) for the hole you probably need to not just loosen it a lot but take the side off the knuckle to get the pole in place.

Don't get me wrong, for the money I expected this. I only mention it to be sure you expect it as well. If you really need to tighten this thing down to maintain position in some wind, it' might not be the right choice. If you need a light arm for use in a wind controlled environment and this is at the top of your budget, well buy it. It does work.
on March 6, 2012
I had to find a youtube video in order to figure out how to put it together. Then I discovered that the light stand I was originally trying to set it up on was too narrow (skinny) to properly hold the arm. I got the arm set up on my other stand and then the reflector on the arm.
Con: It doesn't seem to be as easily adjustable as I thought it would be, you have to loosen, shift the arm, tighten, see if it's what you want, lossen, shift, tighten.....Etc. It's better than not having anyone/thing to hold the reflector for you.
Pro: shipped quick, good low price for a beginner like me who's also on a budget.
3 people found this helpful
on April 27, 2012
The "Non-Slip Grip Rotating Head" that is supposed to hold this bar in place is not only the wrong size for most light stands, although I do have a large one that it fits (granted, this should in no way require a heavy duty stand). The problem is that it was assembled incorrectly and required that I replace the outside of one of the clamps with the other before it could adjust to the proper width to clamp the arm itself.
9 people found this helpful
on August 7, 2013
The product that was sold and shipped as a single package doesn't seem to match. The arm is fine.... but the tubing is too small for the base, no matter which hole I tried to attach it to. It seems to me that at least one of them should have fit tighter since both items were sold as a package. I understand having a variety in the event the user would decide to use the base with another arm, although I don't understand why anyone would since it was sold cheap and as a package. I managed to make it work but perhaps the bottom end of the arm should have a counter weight? Also, since no directions were included I had to look up on the internet how to put it together. I found a video at Cowboy Studios (the brand name of this product). The video shows a base attachment that is not included as well as a single wheel of holes, instead of the double version this product has. No biggie but just curious why Cowboy Studios showed something very different. And of course, the nice lady in the video shows that the arm fits into a hole that actually grips it... again, something that doesn't actually happen with this product. In the future, I will purchase something better. I would not recommend this product. I've ordered from Cowboy Studios before and have had no issues.