Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 8, 2006
This is a classic work that has yet to be formally recognized.

FOW is a terrific power pop group. They have 2 other cds out that are good but not as earnest as this one. FOW tends to be tongue in cheek, smarmy, sometimes too cute. Their first cd, this one, is more pure and honest.

What makes the group so good is the lyrics. They are clever yet at the same time done in a unique, conversational manner. Like a close friend telling you a story, in everyday jargon only to music. The music is amped up... Ramones style (but more musically sophisticated).

All the songs are great, there is no filler. "Radiation Vibe" kicks off the cd with energy and a very catchy chorus. "Joe Rey" moves fast and employs a Nirvana soft/heavy style. "Shes got a problem" and "Sick Day" epitomizes the unique conversational songcraft. "Barbara H" rocks, rocks rocks! "I've got a problem" and "Leave the Biker" examplifies the wit in their songwriting.

The cd moves at a quick pace.

Interestingly, the very precious cd cover art of a little boy in pajamas acting out some fatasy, "I.m a superhero" thing perfectly reflects the tone and theme of this cd. This was music made, at the time, by and up and coming band that did not care what was in vogue and maintained a very real and honest vibe.

Their other cds are very good but not like this one!
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on January 14, 2017
I took a chance of not knowing whether or not I'd enjoy Fountains of Wayne. Most have maybe heard one or two of there songs. So, it was a great joy when I heard some of their other tracks, and found myself enjoying listening to each one.
VINE VOICEon October 8, 2007
As a relatively late arrival to this band, I've been working my way around their catalog finally getting to the debut. I found pretty much what I expected: incredibly clever wordplay wrapped around solid power pop hooks; this band has been solid since the beginning. "Leave The Biker" alone is worth the price of the CD; a tale that every guy who thought Joe Jackson's "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" needed an update, will be more than satisfied with. The CD is filled with various takes on life's little mysteries and it's interesting to see how close the band stayed to its roots. If I have any complaint, it is the overwhelmingly mellow music; a little edge occasionally would be appreciated, but as a debut this is a good indicator of how talented this band is.
on June 9, 2016
The cover didn't match the picture, but the CD was in good shape, it was shipped quickly, and it was a good price!
on February 18, 2016
I'm a fan! What can I say?!
on February 18, 2015
Great Lyrics, and fun tunes
on August 26, 2006
There isn't a song in this collection that isn't at least good. Catchy, quirky lyrics, with British Invasion inspired melodies. Be careful, or after listening to this album you'll catch yourself singing it. Radiation Vibe, Sick Day, and Please Don't Rock Me Tonight are my personal favorites.
2 helpful votes
on September 26, 2005
I'm too old to suddenly become a fan of a bunch of whipper-snappers like these Fountains of Wayne guys. It is but too true, I now own everything they've put out and I like practically all of it. I've been walking around with these songs cycling through my head for weeks. Ridiculous! It's too early for my second childhood.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on September 10, 2016
The 1st album by one of my favorite bands (different cover). This album came out in 1996 & still sounds fresh as a proverbial daisy. For fans of Fountains of Wayne, all the instruments (with the exception of bass) were played by Chris Collingwood & Adam Schlesinger. All the tracks were recorded quick & dirty in a matter of days for a fairly low budget. The birth of a legendary, and now lamented, American rock band. Long live Fountains of Wayne.
on August 23, 2015
I like Fountains of Wayne This is not the cover of the CD I received. After checking it out the back is the same so it must be the same album I received but this is a different cover.
2 helpful votes