Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Four
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

• Four
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

The last time I heard this CD was nearly 10 years ago and coming into possession of it once again last month, it put quite a smile on my face.

This is a great example of 90's rock before it went completely corporate. John Popper's harmonica playing is wicked and his lyrics remind me of Meatloaf.

I don't know about anyone else but it takes alot for me to like an entire cd and "Four" makes the cut. I can listen to it from start to finish and enjoy it more each time. And I can't help but sing to the cd, especially getting a kick out of the bridge to "Hook"-

"Suck it in suck it in suck it in

If you're Rin Tin Tin or Anne Boleyn

Make a desperate move or else you'll win

And then begin

To see

What you're doing to me this MTV is not for free

It's so PC it's killing me

So desperately I sing to thee

Of love

Sure but also rage and hate and pain and fear of self

And I can't keep these feelings on the shelf

I've tried well no in fact I lied

Could be financial suicide but I've got too much pride itself

To hide or slide

I'll do as I'll decide and let it ride until I've died

And only then shall I abide this tide

Of catchy little tunes

Of hip three minute ditties

I wanna bust all your balloons

I wanna burn all of your cities

To the ground I've found

I will not mess around

Unless I play then hey

I will go on all day hear what I say

I have a prayer to pray

That's really all this was

And when I'm feeling stuck and need a buck

I don't rely on luck because..."

Also, check out the bridge to "Stand." Nice and mellow and Popper's voice rocks even more.

To the ever growing list of record company creations - This is what you call M U S I C.
on January 27, 1999
If I was to name quality bands that started making music in the 1990's, I would most likely have fingers left on at least one hand. Blues Traveler is one of the those bands that makes the grade. Four definitely got them in the public eye and deservedly so. The energy is very high and Johnny Popper's Harmonica playing is excellent and as a rule I don't like harmonicas in music. The sounds like that come out of that Harp are incredible. Although the songs stick to a somewhat repetitive pattern, overall they are fairly catchy especially Hook, Stand, Runaround, Price To Pay, and Look Around. A very worthy purchase indeed.
on June 12, 2001
Sure, this is Blues Traveler's most commercial effort, but that's just because of the success of Run-Around. Musically, Four is no glossier or more commercial than their previous three albums. Prior to Four, Blues Traveler had a following on the college rock circuit, built by their incessant touring throughout the late 80's and early 90's. It wasn't until Run-Around broke that the mainstream took notice of John, Chan, Bob (RIP) and Brendan. I love all of Blues Traveler's albums, but I would have to say that Four is their best. Commercial effort or not, I love this album. The band truly perfected their sound on this album. It has rockers ("Stand", "Crash Burn"), it has ballads ("Look Around", "Just Wait") and a whole lot of awesome harmonica soloing. The whole band is great. Chan Kinchla's guitar is great wether pounding out rock riffs or just simple rhythm strumming. The late Bobby Sheehan was a great bassist, he will truly be missed.
This is such a great album. Everyone should own this. Don't just listen to it for the hits ("Run-Around" and "Hook"), it's great from start to finish. Track number 3, "Look Around" is one of the greatest ballads I think I've ever heard. A great vocal performance by John Popper, meaningful lyrics, and a great guitar solo (also played by Popper).
Four is easily one of the 90's best rock albums, up there with Automatic For The People and Shake Your Money Maker. Even if you don't like Blues Traveler, buy this album!
on January 15, 2000
Alright... Someone has really struck a chord in complaining about Blues Traveler not having enough "blues." One must just question why people can't just enjoy good music...
Anyway, I must be honest and say that some songs are less than enjoyable, but that's all made up by the rest. From the well-known pop hits like "Run-Around" and "Hook" to the less-heard favorites like "The Mountains Win Again" and "Just Wait," Blues Traveler's unique blend of pop and blues makes for an excellent trip, and the addition of the harmonica is a welcome departure from the usual pop scene.
on January 15, 2016
Great Album. Great sound quality with the Black 180 Gram vinyl. Knocking 1 star because this a double LP and really deserves the gatefold treatment... The single sleeve was disappointing. Great colors but 2 records in one sleeve is silly. Also this is the 2nd pressing and not the limited edition.
review image review image review image review image
on February 22, 2015
Everybody remembers this album because of "Run Around" and "Hook." Listen to the whole thing and discover the riffs and grooves on "Crash Burn" and "Stand" or the melodies on "Look Around," "Price to Pay," and "Just Wait."
on December 18, 2002
This is one of two Blues Traveler CD's that i own. Now most of you are going, "oh yeah so what does he know." Well i will tell you what i believe, not what i know. And that is, that this is an awesome album. I baught their first CD and i was one of the people that loved, "But Anyway." Care free, full of energy, and of all things, one of the best harmonica solo's i have ever heard. In 1994 everyone was pretty much still obsessed with Grunge. And them comes along this album. My opinion on this, is that it was very well made. For Blue's fans this album maybe a slightly dissapointing if you loved Blues Travelers early work. But if you just want to listen to good quality Blues with a harder edge, this is your Album. John Popper sings harder than ever, and with raw emotion. In some tracks its almost as if he is about to scream. The lyrics are well exspressed, you can really feel the emotion when he sings. If he wants you to dance.. you dance, if he wants you to take his advice.. you take it, and if he wants you to just pure rock out, you will be head bangings. Scary huh? That is the main reason why i give this 5 stars. Cus this is pure raw music. Guitar Solos, Harmonica Solos, and Bass Solos! What more could you ask for? And my favourite part is the guitars. Wether they are funky, Bluesy, Heavy, and even some hints of distortion. Any rock fan will truley appreciate, and grow to love this album. Stand Out Tracks on this album are; ("Run Around") which is a fast pased track with is full of energy and passion. ("Stand") Which is a funky blues song. Then you have ("Look Around"), a great song about relationships with a wonderful guitar solo midway through. And those are just the first 3 tracks. Honestly i find the rest of the album to be just as good, if not better. There is just something about these songs that makes me want to sing along. Some may say that Blues Traveler has gone to "pop". But that is a very sad statement. What pop have you ever heard which contains the amount of pure talent and musicmanship. Along with the thought provoking lyrics and sheer energy on instrumentation throught this album. If you like Blue's, Rock, or even Funk in your music buy "Four" And Enjoy :)
on January 14, 2014
I'm so very glad that John Popper got healthy. A friend of mine worked for this band years ago as a driver and he had great respect for all the guys (my friend was a fine musician himself). This is just a really really good rock record in the Blues Traveler style. If you're not familiar with the band I strongly encourage you to check them out.
VINE VOICEon September 27, 2012
"Four" by Blues Traveler is thier best work IMHO. The interchange between harmonica, guitar, bass and drums is stellar (not to mention the occassional piano and organ work also). My favorite song (if I had to choose) is "the mountains win again". Their use of dynamics in this song is tight. Many of the songs are also riff-based, albeit mostly pentatonic (but hey this is rock'n roll), and make me feel like dancing. It's hard to be in a sad mood listening to this cd. 5 STARS!!!
on January 9, 2015
I love blues travler but I'm not paying 14 bucks for a cd from 96. The decription was good more like brand new. I've found used cds anymore people burn them once on Thier computers and get rid of them.