Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Travel Accessories Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on September 20, 2016
Good quality purchase on the shipping and handling side. The writing is lovely too.
on December 10, 2015
Excellent translations, great text.
on May 31, 2015
Best edition of dialogues for your introductory level philosophy class.
on February 17, 2011
Here is what I am looking for when I am reading Plato:
1. Quality of translation: I prefer readibility over beauty.
2. In-depth introduction to the dialogue (see for example: Allan Bloom's essay in his translation of the Republic).
3. Great footnote, meaning, it must go beyond the meaning of the word.
4. Great bibliography.

This book excels in #1 and #4, but lacking on the interpretive essay and footnote. The essay opened with a promising argument that we do not today pay enough attention to rational thinking, but unfortunately it does not go far enough in linking this to the dialogues. The essays are disappointingly brief. It reads likes those text you would find in a newspaper's book-review. I do, however, appreciate the inclusion of Aristophanes' Clouds and the author has done a decent job in putting that in to the context of the trial.

On the footnote side: the footnote only explains the meaning of the original Greek words. I expect some historical, or cultural backgrounds notes.
on September 11, 2015
Great
on October 8, 2013
This book really came through for me, it was in mint condition and it was just amazing to read and analyze.
on October 10, 2013
It was awesome! I got it in the time I needed and I can count on amazon to get all my books.
on June 7, 2014
While this book contains some excellent texts I feel it was lacking in historical commentary or contextual data that would be helpful for a philosophy student, especially if you're looking for guidance as to where to go for additional information.
on April 6, 2015