Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Foxfire 4: Fiddle Making, Spring Houses, Horse Trading, Sassafras Tea, Berry Buckets, Gardening (Foxfire (Paperback))
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on November 7, 1999
Being a native of rural Appalachia, we owe so much to Mr. Wiggington for the preservation of our culture. No other, in my knowledge has done so much. The entire seires of Foxfire books is a tribute to the plain, industrious, pragmatic, proud mountain ways that I so fondly recall from my childhood. Whether you are doing research, or simply trying to remember how granddaddy did it, these books are an excellent source of knowledge.
This work, Volume IV, is like the others. A wonderful history of how it was. In this day and age of having most needs meet and something for everyone on the Wal-mart shelf, we tend to forget just what it was like in our not too distant past. These books, the Foxfire books, brings to light skills, attitudes and a way of life that is all but forgotten. This is a good thing. When a people lose their history, they lose part of their soul. As the title of this work states, from fiddle making to horse trading, this addresses many of the old forgotten skills and there is so much more. The editors have done a wonderful job. They have made a very honest effort to replicate the dialect of those places and times and I feel that this is a big part of the charm of these books. I am old enough to have known many of the kinds of folks featured in these books, being only one generation past them, and have a great appreciation for what and how they did all the little things we take so for granted now. I might also suggest that you actually try some of the things mentioned in these volumes. It will give you even more of an appreciation for what they did, and hey, who knows, the skill you develope just might come in handy one of these days! Recommend this and the other Foxfire books highly.
on March 20, 2009
Out of the four that I have read it gives me a warm feeling inside to read them and puts a smile on my face. The students that did the research did a yeoman's job of it. They will make you proud of them with their sensitivity and caring. We all would be better off if America was like that now. Old people are a valuable resource of knowledge and humor. These books are superb.
on August 22, 2013
My son wanted the entire Foxfire collection so I purchased all of the books from Amazon. He has read all of the books now and while some of the volumes he said did not have much practical instructional information he still enjoyed reading them immensely if just for the story aspect. These books are great for anyone who loves to read about old-fashioned ways of living before modern conveniences were commonplace or for someone who wants to learn how many things were done before things were so readily available. These books would be great for anyone who is of the "survivalist" mindset or anyone who just wants to learn to be more self sufficient.
on March 8, 2012
I purchased this book to read up on Springhouses, however once started, I couldn't put this book down. I'm very pleased with Everything in this book, and intend to own all of them. The gardening chapter alone, is for me, a goldmine of information.
The Old Fashioned, and SMART way to grow a garden is all there, of course, not everything applies today, but over 3/4 of it does, like what they did in the days before there were any fertilizers available, and why they always planted Irish potatoes first, and way before any other potato. There are way too many jewels of information in this book to post here, however I do believe that if you purchase this book, you will be very pleased, and like me, want to read more of them. Oh, and the Springhouse information turned out to be all the information I needed to do my own. Perfect!
on October 14, 2009
I purchased the Foxfire volumes 1-12 in a single purchase. Highly recommend them if one is looking to learn skills from the "old school." Directions and pictures are very good. Our family is one interested in learning skills from past, such as soap making, cabin building, etc. and we found that these books are a very valuable source of information. There are areas of these books that are simply documentations of folklore and such, especially in the areas of herbal/natural medicine, that one will immediately recognize as ineffective, but it is still interesting to read this folklore anyway. Most of the Foxfire books have incredible, "lost" skills that we find very interesting. The books are good. Your money will be well spent.
on May 26, 2012
This is my third volume of the Foxfire books and I enjoy them very much. The stories they contain are timeless. This particular book contains a chapter on wood carving and fiddle making plus gardening the old fashion way. Logging, trading horsses, making tar for axle grease and much more. If you love woods lore and country living the old fashion way you will enjoy the Foxfire books. They have been around awhile but I'm glad to add them to my library.
on November 11, 2008
An excellent history of the Appalachian Mountain folks. You will come away with a whole new perspective on the intelligence and ingenuity and the perseverance of the people who populated the Appalachians. If you are getting tired of all of the talking heads on tv and radio turn to the Foxfire series for some inspiration and hobby ideas.
on November 19, 2014
Finally bought all the Foxfire books for myself, having seen them years ago but never owned them. They are fascinating to read, and I bet from time to time you will use something in them for your own. I Love It!
on September 17, 2012
This book is still revelent today for those of us who do not wish to forget the old ways. The articles on spring houses will be forever needed when we have no electric, gardening will keep us fed when there are no supermarkets, horses will still be here and get us around when we can not pump gass. Sassafras tea will be the new soda pop. This book will keep me and my family prepared for the unsure future.