Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Angela's Ashes: A Memoir forum

Frank's relationship with the Catholic Church

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 28, 2006, 12:47:27 PM PDT
Being a life-long Catholic myself, but one who constantly strays, questions, and then returns, I'm fascinated by Frank's love/hate relationship with the Church. He brings it up in detail in all three of his books, which I've read, listened to, and loved. (It's a treat to listen to his books, as they're read by himself, and what a lovely voice and accent he has.) Anyway, I had the fine opportunity to meet Frank McCourt seveal months ago at a local bookstore. He gave a talk and signed books. When it was my turn to meet him, I told him that I had a burning question to ask him. "What?" he said. I said, "Mr. McCourt, after all the experiences you've had with the Catholic Church, good and bad, may I ask -- are you still a Catholic?" He laughed heartily and replied, "My dear, being a Catholic is just like being in the Mafia - once they've got you, the only release you'll get is THE GRAVE."

Posted on Jul 19, 2009, 5:27:07 PM PDT
Tapestry says:
Baptism in the Catholic Church puts an indelible mark on your soul, you cannot erase it.
You can say you 'left the Church' and not practice, but what done is done,
just like being born Jewish cannot be retracted.
Sometimes people don't understand that but its the Truth; so what the author said at the autograph session was the Truth.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011, 4:55:06 PM PST
I also listened to this. I agree, McCourt is a excellent narrator for his own books. Have you listened to any of Selby Foote's books? He is another author that is also excellent. Shiloh: A Novel

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2014, 10:02:34 AM PST
Myrna G. says:
With God in control of the Universe, and what most Catholics understand of God's Church, all other churches are clubs and who would want to depend on a club when one will stand before Almighty God one day to explain all our actions? So, Frank's answer says it all.
I totally agree, but I don't agree with the use of the Mafia's as a parallel with God.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Apr 28, 2006
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Angelas Ashes
Angelas Ashes by Frank McCourt (Paperback - 1999)
4.4 out of 5 stars (2,866)